Offensive Play

1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

One of the main issues i saw was Mills missing the hole several times. Hopefully he improves in that regard, but there were a few carries early on where he had a hole but ran into the pack instead

Mills needs to get better at this for sure.  This is the first time he has really been a zone RB.  Zone running is always based on running to daylight.  You have to have vision and patience to wait for the cut he wasn't showing much of either in the game.  Severe and Benning were discussing this very thing about an hour ago.  It takes time to learn.  Mills was a B back or basically a fullback in a triple option offense at Georgia Tech.  He took a snap 2 yards from the LOS and barreled into the line.  Now he is 6 yards deep and has to find the hole.  

22 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Mills needs to get better at this for sure.  This is the first time he has really been a zone RB.  Zone running is always based on running to daylight.  You have to have vision and patience to wait for the cut he wasn't showing much of either in the game.  Severe and Benning were discussing this very thing about an hour ago.  It takes time to learn.  Mills was a B back or basically a fullback in a triple option offense at Georgia Tech.  He took a snap 2 yards from the LOS and barreled into the line.  Now he is 6 yards deep and has to find the hole.  

But I'm pretty sure that's not what they ran at his JUCO

16 minutes ago, NUinID said:

They ran a lot of power stuff and yes zone stuff, but JUCO and Power 5 Div 1 football are completely different animals and you know it.  

OK.  But you talked about him having to learn zone and only talked about him playing at Georgia Tech.  He should have had some time to learn the zone concepts last year.

22 hours ago, FTW said:

I think Martinez is rattled by all the hype. The ESPN camera crew was all over him before the game. Maybe he has issues handling the spotlight? Believe I saw this mentioned in an article online too. Personally, I'm not for young kids being interviewed so much by media personnel. They don't tell the media much different than what the coaches do. I understand it, but I don't like it.

Some of the players could benefit from a social media blackout, too. Not going to name names but some players talk the talk a bit much on the internet. I'm in my mid 30's and grew up initially without social media, the internet, etc. Guess I prefer guys just keep their mouth shut, go to work, and let their talking happen on the football field.

I definitely think a lot of the hype not only was heavy on a lot of those guys minds but also too we had a ton of guys in that lineup as well as backups who were all getting their first true taste of being out there under the lights in prime time so to speak.  Anyway I think we're almost in a sense where we were last year in terms of having to get a feel for things and the 'newness' of it all.  

One thing about last year that was unlike any of the Pelini or Riley teams.  They did eventually turn the corner and it was evident by just watching.  You saw a team come together and finally 'get it' and show tangible improvement as the season went on.  That to me is a sign of great coaching.  I am hopeful that the same thing happens with this year's team.  It's hard to be patient expectation wise but you have to be given the circumstances of this year's team.  Lots of newcomers who are still getting used to not only the hype but in actually just learning and executing their assignments. 

As for Amart I think he was probably just thinking a little to hard instead of just letting the game come to him.  He will be fine!

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

OK.  But you talked about him having to learn zone and only talked about him playing at Georgia Tech.  He should have had some time to learn the zone concepts last year.

Sorry, I was basically restating what Benning was saying this morning.  Not saying they didn't use zone concepts in JUCO, but JUCO sports are a lot like HS.  Some really good athletes like Mills that have to go that route for what ever reason, grades, discipline, more playing time etc.  The rest of the roster in many cases are guys that think they should be playing football somewhere and probably are no better than DIII players.  

There is still a learning curve, to playing zone RB at the D1 level. 

11 minutes ago, NUinID said:

Sorry, I was basically restating what Benning was saying this morning.  Not saying they didn't use zone concepts in JUCO, but JUCO sports are a lot like HS.  Some really good athletes like Mills that have to go that route for what ever reason, grades, discipline, more playing time etc.  The rest of the roster in many cases are guys that think they should be playing football somewhere and probably are no better than DIII players.  

There is still a learning curve, to playing zone RB at the D1 level. 

There is a learning curve.  But I think most of it is either guys have a feel for that or they don't.

Mo Washington can show up the day before fall camp straight out of high school and not really need much of an adjustment period.  If other guys are two years removed and still having a lot of trouble, I don't think it bodes well.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Frost also mentioned USA had a lot of defensive changes the staff didn't really know about what of time. So seems like the staff thought they knew what to expect, planned specifically for that, and wouldn't /didn't adjust. Which is fine first game of the year against an inferior opponent, and I don't expect it to be the norm moving forward. They spent all offseason prepping a new defense, other teams on the schedule won't be able to make huge changes in a week, and hopefully it also reminded the staff to have more adjustments ready. 

I thought we were at the point they could call things not specifically in the game plan, not sure if that isn't true or if they didn't feel the need to do that. As people have pointed out, some of the calls were great and just not executed. 

I saw a quote from the USA coach saying he watched all 12 games of Nebraska from last year. I think it's safe to assume he was coming into this game trying to throw everything he could at beating Nebraska and making a name for himself down there. Doesn't excuse our performance, but I don't doubt they came into this game as motivated and planned as possible to beat a Power 5 team.

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

There is a learning curve.  But I think most of it is either guys have a feel for that or they don't.

Mo Washington can show up the day before fall camp straight out of high school and not really need much of an adjustment period.  If other guys are two years removed and still having a lot of trouble, I don't think it bodes well.

This is true, I think you do have a feel for it or you don't, and I agree that Mills may not have a great feel for it.  Patience is the one thing that he can learn though.  

As far as this game was concerned I think a lot of things were not working right not just Mills not seeing holes.  Martinez was just off, I think he was a little under the weather and that caused him to not practice well and it snowballed. The pass pro was decent most of the game. He had time, he got happy feet and was indecisive. I know everyone complains about the snaps being bad and throwing off timing and that is a definite concern, but it is not like the snapping was perfect last year.  He did plenty or reaching all over the place for snaps last year.  

I think the game plan was awfully vanilla.  They did a couple of wrinkle things but nothing too dramatic.  Did they even run a bubble screen? I think a vanilla game plan, bad qb play,  and a good defensive game plan made a difference.  A couple of bad plays by NU helped S. Alabama's cause.  No late hit call and SAU is punting and not getting a fresh set of downs to help along their first score.  No muffed punt and they don't get the ball on the 13 yard line.  The second one was a killer.  NU had the momentum if they get the ball their and score the game is over.