Talent vs Coaching: A New Thread!

Both are lacking at the moment. I think Frost will be make the upgrades necessary in both areas. I love what Frost wants to do on offense but there are a lot of areas that need to get tightened up that have little to do with talent. While last night was a painful butt kicking, it gives coach Frost a sobering reality about where things are and where they need to go. 

1 hour ago, 10_point_buck said:

Frost and Co have “their guys” on the field, outside of a few.  Experience is lacking, but sure does not bug other teams.  Why does it bug NU so much?

Not in the front seven. Alex davis wasnt recruited to be an olb in a 3-4 defense, the davis twins probably shouldn't be defensive ends in a 3-4 defense. Plus there is no depth behind them with guys that fit this system since they've only had 1.5 Recruiting classes so far.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses foe the staff but did you guys really think that in year two after like half of Riley's last two recruiting classes left that this team would have a 2 deep that fit what the new staff wanted? I thought the game against ohio state would have been closer. But this is going to take years to get it to where it should be hell even frost and the AD said so. Maybe Nebraska fans should predict 10-2 every year when we know we dont have the roster to make that happen.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, CapoValley said:

Nebraska hasn’t recruited at a level they’ve needed to for a chance to meet our expectations for the better part of two decades. The reason why is because outside of a few outliers in the Callahan era, it hasn’t been a priority. 

That absolutely has to end. As of right now we still have a G5 staff that aren’t all closers. We need to follow the Dabo Sweeney model and get a group of assistants and coordinators who are worth their money and all nails at getting kids to sign. 

Once that happens, we can talk development. Until then expect more of the same, middling teams that get crushed against the big boys while we look wistfully at the good times. 

You keep mentioning this. Could you maybe provide the names of these coaches your talking about? Are there some guys at smaller schools you think we could poach that would be better that what we currently have.  Or do you expect Nebraska to go out and get a guy like steele at clemson or grinch at Oklahoma guys already getting paid a fortune at top schools where they don't have to worry about a rebuild? I'm not trying to argue or be a dick I'm honestly interested in the coaches you have in mind.

1 minute ago, LumberJackSker said:

You keep mentioning this. Could you maybe provide the names of these coaches your talking about? Are there some guys at smaller schools you think we could poach that would be better that what we currently have.  Or do you expect Nebraska to go out and get a guy like steele at clemson or grinch at Oklahoma guys already getting paid a fortune at top schools where they don't have to worry about a rebuild? I'm not trying to argue or be a dick I'm honestly interested in the coaches you have in mind.

I mean I have a few sure. Kendall

Briles, Billy Napier, but maybe the guy knocking down five million should have a list?

10 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

So you want a head coach to take a demotion to come and be our offensive coordinator? Also I'm shocked you'd be ok with kendall briles here.

If they can recruit, I want them here, also I don’t think Napier is long for the head coaching world. But that’s my point. Find people like him. 

1 hour ago, TheSker said:

After 5 games last season, 0-5

After 5 games this season, 3-2

Remember when Mike Riley was 2-3 five games into 2015?

And 5-O five games into 2016?

And you told us to celebrate the clear demonstration of progress?

I don't. 

Also, I'm not necessarily fixated on the loss to Ohio State. I was equally concerned about the tough time with had with South Alabama, literally one of the worst teams in the country. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Remember when Mike Riley was 2-3 five games into 2015?

And 5-O five games into 2016?

And you told us to celebrate the clear demonstration of progress?

I don't. 

Also, I'm not necessarily fixated on the loss to Ohio State. I was equally concerned about the tough time with had with South Alabama, literally one of the worst teams in the country. 

I hear ya.

I'm mostly just having fun with the general fixation on progress.