Talent vs Coaching: A New Thread!

The very last thing we need to do is change up coaches again, make these kids learn a new scheme Again, make those kids go through more stress about changes again.  No we need to ride this out for at least 2 more years.  After 2022 if nothing has changed then frost needs to reevaluate his staff.  We need to show that we arent panicking when things arent going smooth immediately that we dont work through the problems instead of just constantly cutting off the head.

• Plus1 2

I know this has been stated many times, but until our O and D lines get up to snuff everything else is going to suffer.  Even though this isn't the only problem, lets talk talent on the lines for next year. 

OLine-?- everybody is back correct?  Additionally, I am hoping some can be beat out by redshirts, because I don't see it happening for some of the guys.

DLine?- we loose all the starting DLine don't we?  I really thought we would be better, but our line doesn't look or move anything like Ohio States, Penn States, hell, most of the big ten dlines. 

1 minute ago, lo country said:

I think it's both.  A lot of bone headed coaching mistakes ie the TO to start the 2nd half at CU.  Going away from what's working before the D stops it.

Talent is an issue, but I like to think that a good staff can get the most out of their guys and put them in positions to win.

Im confused about this, why is it that coaches do that.  It seems so simple to find a weakness and exploit it.  But make something work then all of a sudden lets go back to passing when there strong ss are clearly more athletic than our wide recievers.

21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I’m going to agree we need to recruit better. That’s a no brainer. 

However I’m going to disagree with you on the development. That needs to happen now....and I think it is. 

Look at our recruiting classes over the last 10 years. We get some good players to commit....problem is, very seldom have they panned out and many leave the program early. 2017 is the obvious extreme case. 

We have some very good players on campus and they will be developed. 

The O line is a perfect example. We need upper class linemen that have developed bodies and skills. We don’t have that and that’s not Frost’s fault. It takes years to fix this particular problem. 

You’re not going to have a great O line with freshmen and sophomores across the line. 

Completely agree that development is important.  But it isn’t like Ohio st is teeming with seniors up front or even starting. 

6DAC8104-E8EB-405D-B56B-4D70CA38B777.jpeg

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

Im confused about this, why is it that coaches do that.  It seems so simple to find a weakness and exploit it.  But make something work then all of a sudden lets go back to passing when there strong ss are clearly more athletic than our wide recievers.

I honestly have no idea.  It remonds me of Beck when he would admit to "being too cute" in his play calling.  Something along the line I knew that they knew what O would be doing so I did something else so that what they thought we would do we didn't....It's really frustrating.  Make them stop us.  Don't stop ourselves.

15 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

The very last thing we need to do is change up coaches again, make these kids learn a new scheme Again, make those kids go through more stress about changes again.  No we need to ride this out for at least 2 more years.  After 2022 if nothing has changed then frost needs to reevaluate his staff.  We need to show that we arent panicking when things arent going smooth immediately that we dont work through the problems instead of just constantly cutting off the head.

I'd extend Scott's contract tomorrow.  No one cares or is more determined for NU greatness than him.

• Plus1 2

31 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

But it isn’t like Ohio st is teeming with seniors up front or even starting. 

But those redshirt sophomores probably spent two full years in their weightlifting program on top of being really solid recruits. So there's a big difference between that situation and year two for Frost, especially when you generally don't start freshmen linemen unless a guy has great potential.

Which I think Jurgens does. But he's the only one. Then we have two behemoths (Benhart & Banks) that will probably redshirt. Redshirting them is good, even though there's a lot of impatience and frustration after a blowout like last night. It'll pay off, and we'll have a good offensive line in a couple years.