total defense - 433.5
turnover margin - -2

2019, through 5 games

scoring offense - 31.8

scoring defense - 29.8

total offense - 435

total defense - 401.4

turnover margin - -4

We are currently better at three stats that I listed than last year.

Since people have turned this into a negative, I think it might be better to look at the first 5 games of last year vs. the first 5 this year as teams tend to improve and things will start to average out. So,

2018, through 5 game

scoring offense - 21.8

scoring defense - 39.2

total offense - 525

total defense - 459.2
turnover margin - -6

2019, through 5 games

scoring offense - 31.8

scoring defense - 29.8

total offense - 435

total defense - 401.4

turnover margin - -4

So, we are scoring a lot more points, allowing a lot fewer points and we are generating a lot more turnovers improving our turnover margin. If we keep improving as the year goes on I imagine the full season stats will look more like this comparison from last year to this year.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Since people have turned this into a negative, I think it might be better to look at the first 5 games of last year vs. the first 5 this year as teams tend to improve and things will start to average out. So,

2018, through 5 game

scoring offense - 21.8

scoring defense - 39.2

total offense - 525

total defense - 459.2
turnover margin - -6

2019, through 5 games

scoring offense - 31.8

scoring defense - 29.8

total offense - 435

total defense - 401.4

turnover margin - -4

So, we are scoring a lot more points, allowing a lot fewer points and we are generating a lot more turnovers improving our turnover margin. If we keep improving as the year goes on I imagine the full season stats will look more like this comparison from last year to this year.

Good idea. It is a more apples to apples comparison at this point. One thing I was thinking, and it may not matter, but I think the Defense has scored several more TDs this year than last year. Are those scores credited to the Offense in these stats?

9 minutes ago, Jarhead In Red said:

Good idea. It is a more apples to apples comparison at this point. One thing I was thinking, and it may not matter, but I think the Defense has scored several more TDs this year than last year. Are those scores credited to the Offense in these stats?

Yes, they are in this comparison. I couldn't find stats that pulled them out so I just used final scores. Obviously better stats out there, but this was hard enough to compile for me, ha.

8 minutes ago, Redux said:

I like ^this comparison better.  Only problem is, we play our weakest teams in the first 5 games.  So it's really hard to gauge it.  I'd like to see the last 6 games of both years compared 

The first 5 games are weaker for sure. It's interesting though that both years include a totally noncompetitive game (Michigan and OSU). If we can maintain the scoring differential we've seen in the first 5 with the final 7, I think we'll all like the result.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, WyoHusker56 said:

If this team stops getting penalties, stops turning it over and blocks guys well enough to avoid TFL or sacks we are probably at least a co favorite to win the West with Wisconsin.

And finds a kicker

And learns how to snap the ball

And QB remembers he can run the ball before being swarmed

• Plus1 1

4 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

If this team stops getting penalties, stops turning it over and blocks guys well enough to avoid TFL or sacks we are probably at least a co favorite to win the West with Wisconsin.

I think this is absolutely true. Unfortunately, sloppy play by the Huskers has seemingly entrenched itself right behind death and taxes on the things we can expect year after year.... :(