Accountability and Culture

Here is a great article about accountability and culture.  I like the part about the seniors getting after him in the locker room.  Player throws a punch, HC pulls and tosses him prior to the officials doing it.  Has said player take the bus and not the plane home.  Accountability.......Culture.......

Not NU related, but it is a team that has two NC's in the past 3 years...

We talk about continued miscues and penalties (Davis) and the fact they return game after game after game......This type of action would send a message.  

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2019/10/19/booth-takes-roy-bus-home/

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, lo country said:

Here is a great article about accountability and culture.  I like the part about the seniors getting after him in the locker room.  Player throws a punch, HC pulls and tosses him prior to the officials doing it.  Has said player take the bus and not the plane home.  Accountability.......Culture.......

We talk about continued miscues and penalties (Davis) and the fact they return game after game after game......This type of action would send a message.  

Honest question...if Lawrence or Eitenne did it you think the samething happens?

Not to minimize Dabo doing the right thing, just feel it is very easy to make those decisions when it is a non starter and your already throttling the team...of course, maybe that is exactly why they throttle teams (accountability)

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

Honest question...if Lawrence or Eitenne did it you think the samething happens?

Not to minimize Dabo doing the right thing, just feel it is very easy to make those decisions when it is a non starter and your already throttling the team...of course, maybe that is exactly why they throttle teams (accountability)

He suspended a star receiver and two others a few years ago before the playoffs.  He sat his kicker last week for missing a FG (op 28 at the time).  I think he runs a tight ship.  I think the reason they win are they play sound football.  Limit stupid mistakes and are held accountable by staff and teammates.  Something lacking at NU.    

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/14463932/clemson-tigers-send-3-home-including-deon-cain

It’s a lot easier for Dabo to bench players because they have an amazing amount of talent and depth. I’m sure Frost would like to bench players for underperformance and other issues,  but unfortunately the depth isn’t where the backups can fill in without a drop in production.

I do remember Frost ripping into Davis after getting a personal foul penalty against Minnesota, and Davis staying on the sidelines for a while. 

• Plus1 7
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s a lot easier for Dabo to bench players because they have an amazing amount of talent and depth. I’m sure Frost would like to bench players for underperformance and other issues,  but unfortunately the depth isn’t where the backups can fill in without a drop in production.

I do remember Frost ripping into Davis after getting a personal foul penalty against Minnesota, and Davis staying on the sidelines for a while. 

No doubt about the bolded.  I think it would send a huge message if Frost and Co sat a starter for performance related issues even if the back up was not near as good.  The whole "if he sits a starter, what would he do to me...."  They sat Jackson and I think our DB's are one of the better performing groups.  Better coaching?  Better accountability?  Leadership from Jax after being sat?

1 minute ago, lo country said:

No doubt about the bolded.  I think it would send a huge message if Frost and Co sat a starter for performance related issues even if the back up was not near as good.  The whole "if he sits a starter, what would he do to me...."  They sat Jackson and I think our DB's are one of the better performing groups.  Better coaching?  Better accountability?  Leadership from Jax after being sat?

I get your point, but at some positions they don’t have the ability to sit the starter and play the backup. Frost is trying to win games AND build a program with the mindset he wants. In 2 years, I am sure it will be a lot easier to do what you are recommending, because there won’t be such a drop off to the backup. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
10 hours ago, SECHusker said:

I like frost and think is our guy, but I think accountability needs to start at the top. He preaches no fear of failure, but yet our starters aren't doing much and he isn't consistently playing your young guys. 

Really can mcquitty be so much worse than what we have?

I was thinking about this, and earlier in the year Frost did admit the coaches weren't practicing what they preached there. but I think that was mostly regarding the playcalls. But I do think there are more reasons to not play a guy than being afraid of him failing.

I completely agree we should be giving more guys opportunities, I just don't know that we can say the reason the staff isn't is because they're afraid of failure. There's a difference between giving a guy his shot and playing a guy who just isn't ready to be a contributor.

• Plus1 1
16 hours ago, lo country said:

Davis was pulled in the Minnesota game for it, and as far as I can remember he didn't come back. We haven't had a game since.

• Plus1 1

27 minutes ago, HuskerPwr said:

I think he was just trying to preserve redshirts. In the bye week presser he said now that there are only 5 games left, he plans to plug in the younger players. 

True, I think that's a lot of it. But there are definitely guys not playing without that consideration, like McQuitty and Jones at WR. Rotating lineman as well - Frost mentioned wanting to be able to rotate, but it takes somebody getting completely embarrassed or injured to see the 2s. Not saying there aren't reasons for that, but I know fans want to see other guys. Gotta assume the coaches know more than us though, and maybe they just aren't ready.