Defense Struggles

8 minutes ago, SFW said:

33.6 to B 10 opposition thanks to NW or it would be worse.

Why don't you go ahead and calculate the B 10 numbers for 17/18 while you're at it. I could be wrong, but I assume they are similarly higher than the season averages. 

EDIT:

2017: 37.6

2018: 34.3

2019: 33.6

So it's close, but let's wait and see. And last year we got Michigan State, there are always bad teams to boost the numbers.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

That's fair, but then we really should wait to declare there's been no improvement shouldn't we?

Yes, and that is also a very rational statement, I agree. 

Won't be surprised if both Wisconsin and Iowa put our defense to shame with some of the bad performances we've seen. But...maybe I'll be surprised and the opposite will occur and the final stats will show definitive improvement.

19 minutes ago, Undone said:

Yes, and that is also a very rational statement, I agree. 

Won't be surprised if both Wisconsin and Iowa put our defense to shame with some of the bad performances we've seen. But...maybe I'll be surprised and the opposite will occur and the final stats will show definitive improvement.

Right, I wouldn't be terribly surprised either. Backing up a step I don't believe in the premise of SFWs argument, that points per game is the only thing that matters. Controlling for how good the opposing offenses are is important, and while the advanced stats aren't perfect they don't claim San Diego State has a better defense than Alabama. If points per game is truly the "bottom line, end of story" stat, they are.

I was attempting to show that even by that premise there has been improvement, but that may not be the case by the end of the year. We'll see - if we're still giving up 30+ ppg in big ten play next year, I'll concede a lack of improvement. For now, any improvement or lack does depend on your measure.

32 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Why don't you go ahead and calculate the B 10 numbers for 17/18 while you're at it. I could be wrong, but I assume they are similarly higher than the season averages. 

EDIT:

2017: 37.6

2018: 34.3

2019: 33.6

So it's close, but let's wait and see. And last year we got Michigan State, there are always bad teams to boost the numbers.

Thanks for looking that up.  

If those numbers get worse and with the youth on D next year, it would seem a perfect time for a change.

Love Frost and would hate to see blind loyalty cost him.

There was a reason the Gators told Frost not to bring Chinander along.

• Plus1 3
26 minutes ago, SFW said:

If those numbers get worse and with the youth on D next year, it would seem a perfect time for a change.

What is blind loyalty?

What was the reason, and who is your source?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
54 minutes ago, SFW said:

No if the defense struggles next year it will be because they're young and the excuse will be he needs even more time to get the defense to play average.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

11 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

No if the defense struggles next year it will be because they're young and the excuse will be he needs even more time to get the defense to play average.

Eh, more likely because I think we'll still be short on pass rushers. But again, let's see how they do - this year is what it is, but I think even the Chinander supporters will be expecting significant improvement next year.

On that note, has anyone heard anything positive about Alston or Graham on the scout team? They are our best bets outside of Tannor/Nelson, but I'm doubting they'll be ready next year if we don't hear anything this year.

Frost said that 

27 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Exactly or because of a bad Wednesday practice.