Defense Struggles

Here is the really troubling thing for me...if you look back at all our losses, it has been two to three guys on the opponents team that did all the damage. For example, take today for instance, we got beat by Ramsey and Philyor. It only took two players to beat us. You would think that if we had decent coaches, they would find a way to stop two players. Instead we came out in the second half flat and lost. We have lost to three teams that, on paper, we have much better talent. Only the Ohio state loss can be excused seeing what they did to Wisconsin today. The other three losses are due to the inability and incompetence of Frost’s coaches to come up with a good game plan and adjust during half time.

Also, how come we do not continue to feed the ball to our most productive players like other teams do. Spielman was on fire yet we stopped throwing the ball to him. He had 97 yards catching and Philyor who is arguably a much lesser talent than Speilman had 178 yards. We can blame the players all day but at the end of the day, the blame falls squarely on the coaches who cash in their big fat checks and continue to put a horrible product on the field. Frost suspended Maurice Washington. Why not suspend the Davis brothers for committing too many unsportsmanlike penalties that cost us games? I am sorry but I do not blame my students for failing an exam, I always question myself if I did everything possible to help them succeed. Frost is failing these players because he is not placing the blame on the people responsible and that is his coaches who have not been able to get the best out of the players. If he refuses to assess and evaluate his coaches at the end of this season, he will not succeed in Nebraska. There are many talented defensive and special teams coaches that would love to coach at Nebraska. Look at what the mad hatter has been able to do at Kansas. I am willing to bet a million dollars that we lose to Kansas if we played them this year. And do not tell me that les miles would not have come to Nebraska if asked. He was begging Nebraska to give him a chance.

I am not calling for Frost’s head. He deserves at least five years to hopefully turn things around but he is not going to do so with this pathetic supporting cast of incompetent coaches. Something has to give.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

6 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Also, how come we do not continue to feed the ball to our most productive players like other teams do. Spielman was on fire yet we stopped throwing the ball to him.

I hear what you're saying for sure. Scott did have a great play call on the touchdown pass to Noa where he had Luke pull up and then throw downfield. I think he would have looked for more of that, but then Vedral came in the game.

It's probably a lot to ask of a true freshman to just stand there in the pocket and throw, given how piss poor our pass blocking is. We had more total offensive yards that Indiana; our defense is just too awful to help seal a game. Offense did all we could have asked of it in my opinion.

16 minutes ago, Undone said:

Well said.

If we play this same s***ty brand of defense next year, the narrative will be that "we're a young team." Frost in the post game presser saying that some players aren't tough enough...do you think toughness fixes this soft defensive scheme Chinander runs, Scott? If Chinander can't fix this, Frost needs to.

Isn't this the type of Defense Frost wants? Geared towards getting our Offense more plays?  Hopefully by getting more turnovers, but assuming we can outscore them.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Isn't this the type of Defense Frost wants? Geared towards getting our Offense more plays?  Hopefully by getting more turnovers, but assuming we can outscore them.

I'm not exactly sure what you meant there.

I didn't see an aggressive defense that was taking risks out there today. I saw four quarter of play calls on defense that were a "bend but don't break" scheme that let them throw for 350 yards.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Undone said:

I'm not exactly sure what you meant there.

I didn't see an aggressive defense that was taking risks out there today. I saw four quarter of play calls on defense that were a "bend but don't break" scheme that let them throw for 350 yards.

Something Adam Carriker mentioned in one of his videos..I think he was answering a question from a fan about 4-3 verses 3-4.

I also haven't seen the aggressiveness or risk taking I was expecting...Not sure why.

Saw this while Searching Adam videos..Sorta interesting.

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

did any of those guys play in this century?  In this conference? 

Are you insinuating that todays Indiana game is somehow a more daunting challenge than 1993 National championship against Florida St?? 

You think their skills in man coverage were lacking?

Were magical new routes invented in the last 10 years which would somehow render Moss and Minter ineffective?  

Is the Indiana quarterback better than Charlie Ward? (Heisman)

2 hours ago, dvdcrr said:

Oh, I don't know, Barron Miles, Kareem Moss, Tyrone Williams, Eric Stokes, Mike Minter, Troy Dumas, didn't have no problem with man coverage.

Whats wrong with being excellent?

Either teach it or get guys that are excellent at it.  I don't care which but we are not succeeding in either.  When Bootle plays man he is too small against bigger receivers.  I will say Jackson has improved but going from like a D to a B- is not going to cut it if we want to win.  

20 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

From https://democratherald.com/corvallis/sports/beavers-sports/football/osu-football-avery-roberts-finds-a-home/article_f25e1266-b9ac-591b-982f-d4214f7c2098.html

I've been trying to get used to our ''fans'' treating existing (Riley) recruits like a pariah but maybe our coaches have been too.  Writing them off as not fitting the system or all being lazy because of the voluntary workouts...Rather than effectively working with them and adjusting our system to fit the players.

Where does it say we told him to leave.  

6 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Where does it say we told him to leave.  

Why ask him to leave when you can just bury him on the depth chart?

The fact that he seems to be blossoming under Bray makes me wonder if Ruud can inspire or ''coach 'em up''  And also the whole staff..Are they Writing off the players that were already here or just not that good at getting the most out of their players?

There used to be a saying among coaches (Bum Phillips) when describing Bear Bryant...''Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n''

• Plus1 1
On 10/26/2019 at 11:54 PM, HUSKER 37 said:

IMO that philosophy needs to go out the window with a chunk of our defensive staff. Ohio State is headed to the playoffs because they're nails on both sides of the ball. We won a national championship because he had a defense that allowed us to beat a top10 KSU squad with our walk-on qb. We play against well-coached teams in a quality con with several top defenses. We shouldn't count on getting turnovers and our O lighting up the scoreboard every week. To be a top team we need a top defense, more than just complimenting our offense. 

On 10/26/2019 at 11:54 PM, HUSKER 37 said:

Except we have lost the aggressiveness. Same thing happened last year. Chins dialed up blitz often early in the season and disappeared after game 3. We are seeing the same thing this year. Chins seems to call the game scared as the season goes on. 

• Fire 1
9 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Why ask him to leave when you can just bury him on the depth chart?

The fact that he seems to be blossoming under Bray makes me wonder if Ruud can inspire or ''coach 'em up''  And also the whole staff..Are they Writing off the players that were already here or just not that good at getting the most out of their players?

There used to be a saying among coaches (Bum Phillips) when describing Bear Bryant...''Bryant can take his'n and beat your'n, and then he can turn around and take your'n and beat his'n''

Even when Riley was here there was a question of his work ethic.

9 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

Except we have lost the aggressiveness. Same thing happened last year. Chins dialed up blitz often early in the season and disappeared after game 3. We are seeing the same thing this year. Chins seems to call the game scared as the season goes on. 

Our execution probably scares Chin away from calling blitzes.  He probably checks what we are capable of early in the season and has to dial back from there.  That's my guess.

3 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Our execution probably scares Chin away from calling blitzes.  He probably checks what we are capable of early in the season and has to dial back from there.  That's my guess.

I do think this is part of it.  Even when we do blitz, it's rarely effective.  I'm not sure where all the blame lies on that but that's the way it is.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I do think this is part of it.  Even when we do blitz, it's rarely effective.  I'm not sure where all the blame lies on that but that's the way it is.

It’s hard to effectively blitz when your dline can’t demand double teams therefore you lbs don’t have open lanes to stunt through