A very normal thought turned to a very weird event...

To take a break for the political threads, I thought I'd give this thread a chance.

For starters, I had a brush with a health scare a year or so ago that made me take a deeper look at what I truly believe about religion and the afterlife.  I started watching YouTube videos about near death experiences and the enigma of consciousness.  Not a 100% believer but some stories about reincarnation and NDE are pretty persuasive.  Some of these stories involve recently deceased people visiting friends/relatives in dreams or other reminders.

Anyway, a few days ago, for whatever reason, I started to wonder about a former co-worker.  The last I worked with him he was going through marriage and money problems.  I haven't spoke to him since my last day in that workplace over 10 years ago.  I have no idea what triggered the thoughts, but I spent several minutes wondering how he and his daughters were doing and even thought about how nice it would be to stop in and see him and a few other guys the next time I'm in Lincoln.  It was totally random, just a few minutes of reminiscing: no big deal.  Until last night.

As I was going through my FB messages I came across a message from one of my former co-workers that the guy who "out of the blue" popped into my memory passed away on Nov 2nd.  Probably just a coincidence, but part of me "could" believe that we all are linked together somehow.

So I'm starting this thread for 2 reasons.  1) Call me crazy for having such a thought, or 2) has anything happened like this to anyone else?

I think there is a lot to be said about subliminal thought.  Like things you see during the day just going about your business that then have a tie to something you dream about that night.   I am a vivid dreamer, and between solving problems, seeing people pop up that I recognize I need to reach out to and having somewhat unrelated things happen - there's a reason. 

I'm spiritual (not at all religious any longer) and I do think that our mind works more deeply when we're asleep or relaxed and thinking about something else (my best ideas come while I'm in the shower or driving the car).  Visions of grandma visiting me aren't happening, but I do wake up having dreamt about her sometimes.  I don't think that's her in the afterlife coming to say hi or help me through something, just my need to remember her and something we did together or something she might have done.

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

or 2) has anything happened like this to anyone else?

This is a bit different than what you're talking about, but last year I was on my way driving to a bible study.  While driving I was led by the Holy Spirit to begin fasting.  An hour later, just as the bible study ended, my minister asked me if I could join him for a few minutes in his office.  He pulled out his bible and told me that he didn't know if this would mean anything to me, but he had an incredibly strong urging to read a particular passage to me.  The passage was about fasting and prayer.  So there's that.  (btw, I did not mention anything about the the fasting thing to anyone at my bible study.  Nobody but me knew about it.)

• Plus1 1

I had a medium tell me once that i was about to get a new job on 42nd and dodge and she saw me wearing all red scrubs. I had an interview with nebraska medicine that same day and didnt tell anyone. Nebraska medical center is 42nd and dodge and red is the color they designate for radiographers. I got the job. 

She also described to me what my spirit guide looks like and Im pretty sure she described a mid 30s California surfer bro so from time to time ill do the hang ten and yell out suhhhh dude! Haha

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

I had a medium tell me once that i was about to get a new job on 42nd and dodge and she saw me wearing all red scrubs. I had an interview with nebraska medicine that same day and didnt tell anyone. Nebraska medical center is 42nd and dodge and red is the color they designate for radiographers. I got the job. 

I've never been to a medium, but have spoken to someone who has.  Learning about her experience kind of blew me away.  I often have trouble believing in the validity of mediums and the like, but after hearing my co-workers experience, I don't completely dismiss it either.  I just think that there is an existence of intelligence, energy and forces that are more than humans can possibly comprehend.  Because of that, I really don't see how people can dismiss religions or really any other beliefs about why we are here, but to each their own...

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I've never been to a medium, but have spoken to someone who has.  Learning about her experience kind of blew me away.  I often have trouble believing in the validity of mediums and the like, but after hearing my co-workers experience, I don't completely dismiss it either.  I just think that there is an existence of intelligence, energy and forces that are more than humans can possibly comprehend.  Because of that, I really don't see how people can dismiss religions or really any other beliefs about why we are here, but to each their own...

Yeah this girl was actually an MA at the place I worked before this job I described in the story. She didnt do it for money. My manager is a paranormal investigator and a couple days after doing a investigation he felt like deathly sick. He took a flu test: negative. Took a strep test: negative. The MA/medium says youre sick bc you have three native american spirits attached to you and they are taking all your energy. He says holy s#!t the investigation I did this week was at a native american graveyard. It was creepy haha. 

1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

Yeah this girl was actually an MA at the place I worked before this job I described in the story. She didnt do it for money. My manager is a paranormal investigator and a couple days after doing a investigation he felt like deathly sick. He took a flu test: negative. Took a strep test: negative. The MA/medium says youre sick bc you have three native american spirits attached to you and they are taking all your energy. He says holy s#!t the investigation I did this week was at a native american graveyard. It was creepy haha. 

I swear this can work for animals too.  As far as “spirits” attaching.  My dog used to hug my hip/leg as I mowed the back yard.  She would almost lean into my leg as I pushed the mower.  I would pet her head as I walked.

We had to put her down at the age of 14.5 this past summer and I have her ashes in the back corner of the yard.  When I’ve walked by with the mower I’ve had the reflex of reaching down and petting the side of my leg.  I always just thought it was some kind of subconscious habit, but fun to think she’s still following me.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, funhusker said:

I still “identify” as Christian but have a hard time believing in the “resurrection”, but that’s for another discussion.

But I do feel very open to the idea of something more than just random firing synapses. 

The resurrection is for another discussion but I do think it is the reason we can have discussions like this.  It points to another life, another realm.  NT Wright has written some amazing books (Surprised by Hope, Simply Christianity, Simply Jesus) that touch on how heaven isn't a far off place but actually very close - another realm and sometimes the physical realm and the spiritual realm are seen at the same time - parallel universes that are like two circles that interlock.  God reveals Himself in those times - and we have these experiences.  The resurrection being the pinnacle of God entering our realm and giving us a peak into what is to come.

Someone wrote a book called "God Winks".  I heard the author being interviewed once and he gives a bunch of examples of 'coincidences' that go beyond happen chance.   Again, he says it is God stepping into our realm to provide guidance. comfort, understanding - God winking at us and telling us he knows our name and address - you are not alone.  And we aren't.

• Plus1 1

Ironically when I was watching one of my shows today (Evil - CBS, pretty good) this topic came up in a discussion between a behavioralist/psychologist, a man studying to be a priest and a scientist (they're all working to identify a prophet or bust a false one).  As they're working through the facts they have the debate about visions that are predictive or meaningful vs. human nature and science.

The religious man says she prophisized the earthquake - vs the scientist who claims she "anticipated" it.  He further explains based on science - conditions, history, settling noises in the neighborhood etc one can make fair guesstimates on things.  That there are intuitive people in the world, who without knowing it are picking up on things in the world - that the world in its entirety gives clues, news, FB posts, noises etc.   The psychologist jumps in with the fact that there are people in the world with hyper sensitive abilities her ex "if you dream of a ladder under your foot breaking and the next day you climb a ladder and it breaks it's your subconscious indicating to you what your senses  told you could happen the last time you climbed a ladder."