Unpopular roster opinion

5 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Cool, yes pernell Jefferson is one, a very Anderson, diashon Neal another.  I guarantee can find others with a quick roster search, certainly on the oline.  It was actually worse with other coaches.  It’s really not that subjective, stat sheets are pretty easy to look up.  I get that guys contribute in other ways.  If your not in the 3/4 deep as a jr/sr, specifically a RS, you’d have to prove a new body couldn’t do the same or better.

I stated this to another poster, but I don't necessarily disagree with your initial position. In fact the staff has turned over the roster quite a bit in a manner in which you suggest.

The one thing I believe you're not considering is we can only bring 2 more scholarship players on in 2020 cycle. So we will have some attrition needed by fall, but a mass exodus isn't necessary.

Just now, theknife said:

I stated this to another poster, but I don't necessarily disagree with your initial position. In fact the staff has turned over the roster quite a bit in a manner in which you suggest.

The one thing I believe you're not considering is we can only bring 2 more scholarship players on in 2020 cycle. So we will have some attrition needed by fall, but a mass exodus isn't necessary.

Oh and Neal is already a RS senior, so he's gone.

14 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

From what I hear football is quite arduous. Not sure why anyone would stick around if they weren’t going to end up seeing the field or getting some reward for their efforts.

my guess is they bring something to the team that can’t be judged by a stat line

Not every single rs junior that hasn't played a down will fit this definition. Like I said, anyone in the position we are talking about is in line for a conversation with the coaches. The coaches may not want to part ways with certain players for this specific reason but you are naive if you think every player in this position is just a locker room gem that can't be replaced. Pernell Jefferson was simply used as an example. 

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, N is for nowledge said:

Do I really have to, is the on field production really in question for the players mentioned.  

what kind of production do they have off the field? you could have a player that is helping keep multiple starters out of trouble and caught up with the academic side that will never show up in a stat sheet. this player could also be pushing others to be better, still not showing up in the stat sheet. (well it might be showing up in the stat sheet just not under their name) the value of a player isnt always on field production.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, theknife said:

Oh and Neal is already a RS senior, so he's gone.

I think we largely agree.  The Neal situation should have been addressed 1-2 yrs ago imo.  Again, I don’t see why this is controversial 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, desertshox said:

what kind of production do they have off the field? you could have a player that is helping keep multiple starters out of trouble and caught up with the academic side that will never show up in a stat sheet. this player could also be pushing others to be better, still not showing up in the stat sheet. (well it might be showing up in the stat sheet just not under their name) the value of a player isnt always on field production.

Can a younger, “new” player, with a better skill set, hungry to play not achieve all those intangibles you mention?  My point is not personal, I’m sure he is a great kid.  Another poster mentioned while some might fill an irreplaceable role, I would question that, not all of them do.  There are at least 2-3 other players, so we’d be talking 6-9 total that fill this criteria.  What “irreplaceable” intangibles, that only they can provide, do they bring to the table.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

I think we largely agree.  The Neal situation should have been addressed 1-2 yrs ago imo.  Again, I don’t see why this is controversial 

this time frame would coincide with frost taking over. the staff may have seen something they could work with but for whatever reason(s) it didnt work out. and truthfully how much did keeping him and a couple others around for their final season hurt them. it may actually have helped them out.

Just now, N is for nowledge said:

So Jefferson, per huskers.com hasn’t recorded 1 “one” tackle in three seasons, Andersen has 4 tackles in 4 seasons.  Need more?

Yes, unless this thread was specifically about Pernell Jefferson, in which case a more specific title would have been better.

I can answer the question in your OP, but not until you tell us who you're talking about.

• Fire 1

2 minutes ago, desertshox said:

this time frame would coincide with frost taking over. the staff may have seen something they could work with but for whatever reason(s) it didnt work out. and truthfully how much did keeping him and a couple others around for their final season hurt them. it may actually have helped them out.

2 minutes ago, desertshox said:

Maybe.  My point is extending beyond this transition period.  If you have a kid on roster for 3-4 seasons and they aren’t contributing I think you help move them along.  

9 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Yeah, I mean it's a fair question to ask why the staff waited until year 3 for a JUCO infusion at LB instead of year two. I mean unless they figured they could get more out of guys like Alex Davis.

11 minutes ago, N is for nowledge said:

Can a younger, “new” player, with a better skill set, hungry to play not achieve all those intangibles you mention?  My point is not personal, I’m sure he is a great kid.  Another poster mentioned while some might fill an irreplaceable role, I would question that, not all of them do.  There are at least 2-3 other players, so we’d be talking 6-9 total that fill this criteria.  What “irreplaceable” intangibles, that only they can provide, do they bring to the table.

they can. but you have to weigh the known value (player you have) with the potential unknown value (new recruit). you just cant have a policy where if you arent contributing on the field then you're gone.

Edited by desertshox
typo
Just now, knapplc said:

Yes, unless this thread was specifically about Pernell Jefferson, in which case a more specific title would have been better.

I can answer the question in your OP, but not until you tell us who you're talking about.

I mentioned them earlier.  It’s larger than one player.  Jeffersen, Avery Andersen, daishin neal.  These are examples but there are more.  It’s more hypothetical, as there arekids like this every yr, should we be helping these kids on to another school.  I say yes, imo.  Don’t see why it’s controversial at all.

• Plus1 2