Unpopular roster opinion

13 hours ago, Cy the Cyclone said:

"Sorry kid...you're not contributing or putting up stats from the hospital bed so we're pulling your scholarship. "

No ones scholarship is being pulled and we are talking about graduates. Can you actually read the thread or do you just drop hot takes everywhere you go?

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, N is for nowledge said:

See the response below this one about Bob Devany.  I’m not saying give them the boot.  I’m saying help them land a scholarship elsewhere.  This shouldn’t result in hard feelings....again not controversial.

So, not only do we need to recruit for our own school, we also have to be responsible for other schools' recruiting of our own players? 

This thread makes my head hurt. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

So, not only do we need to recruit for our own school, we also have to be responsible for other schools' recruiting of our own players? 

This thread makes my head hurt. 

Bill Busch at LSU is the reason we landed EMC this cycle. Coaches do this all of the time I bet.

• Plus1 1

58 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

They have a year of eligibility left when they graduate. 

And? We held up our end of the deal. We offered them an education in exchange for playing on a football team. The education is what the player receives, not a promise they will get to stay on the team until their eligibility expires. They have an obligation to the football team not a right to be on it. Again, no one is saying we are gonna boot players against their will but I'm sorry to say we don't owe the players 5 years on the team, we owe them an education which we have provided.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, madrat said:

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/recruiting/nebraska-football-scholarship-chart/table_7bf5d0b2-2200-5610-8ce8-585129d0c735.html

We better figure out how to grow young DL sooner or later.  If we don't ride 5th year seniors at the DL we could be in real trouble in 2021.

Not every 5th year senior is in this position. We are talking about players who have no chance of seeing the field

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not every 5th year senior is in this position. We are talking about players who have no chance of seeing the field

If the coaches decide that then they are paid to make those decisions.  But it would be chump if they hide behind the motive you're speaking about.  These kids come in expecting to exhaust eligibility.  We had this debate unfold in the World Herald (might have been Lincoln Star to be honest, its been a long time and I used to read both) in the 90s and Osborne was opposite your opinion.  I doubt he really changed it over the years.

Just now, madrat said:

If the coaches decide that then they are paid to make those decisions.  But it would be chump if they hide behind the motive you're speaking about.  These kids come in expecting to exhaust eligibility.  We had this debate unfold in the World Herald in the 90s and Osborne was opposite your opinion.  I doubt he really changed it over the years.

Hide behind what motives? Literally all I have ever said is coaches will have conversations with these players about where they stand and what their options are and what is best for the team. The player can do whatever they want. You don't always get what you expect in life. They were promised an education and they recieved it.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Hide behind what motives? Literally all I have ever said is coaches will have conversations with these players about where they stand and what their options are and what is best for the team. The player can do whatever they want. You don't always get what you expect in life. They were promised an education and they recieved it.

I agree for the most part.  But promises are promises.  If the last staff promised them a chance to get that 5th year, which is generally understood by some players, then stick to the promise.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, madrat said:

I agree for the most part.  But promises are promises.  If the last staff promised them a chance to get that 5th year, which is generally understood by some players, then stick to the promise.

As I have said, ultimately it is going to always be up to the player. I don't think we will ever force anyone out. Frost will be honest and tell them they probably aren't going to play and if they want to they need to find a new school. As others have mentioned I'm sure the coaches can make a few calls and easily open some doors for kids if that's what they want.

Edit: the other thing I have been meaning to mention too, is sometimes these conversations are neccessary for players to move on. Some guys might be done with it in a way but want to finish for the team and their brothers

5 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

As I have said, ultimately it is going to always be up to the player. I don't think we will ever force anyone out. Frost will be honest and tell them they probably aren't going to play and if they want to they need to find a new school. As others have mentioned I'm sure the coaches can make a few calls and easily open some doors for kids if that's what they want.

Edit: the other thing I have been meaning to mention too, is sometimes these conversations are neccessary for players to move on. Some guys might be done with it in a way but want to finish for the team and their brothers

Your second part (the edit) is very acceptable as long as they honor the recruitment promises.  There is nothing wrong with persuasion in this case.

5 hours ago, madrat said:

5th year to do what?

the only thing they have promised is to pay for their education. If they graduated.....well. 

• Plus1 1