Scoring the Huskers: Quarterbacks

NUance

Great posts above by ColoradoHusk and BigRedBuster.  I can't think of a better example recently than the Chiefs.  Explosive offense vs the best defenses the NFL had to offer.  Having multiple schemes to create explosive chunk plays works at all levels of football.  There is a ton of data out there that proves the more chunk plays an offense has, the higher their chances of winning a game.  

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2017/8/22/16075050/college-football-big-plays-efficiency-five-factors

Frost's offense is designed to create more chunk plays.  The QBs we currently have, IMO, are very capable of making these plays once we increase the talent level around them.  

• Plus1 1

Sorry if I got the thread off focus, but 84's posts just weren't making sense.  Turning this back to the QB thread, I think Frost's offense is very QB friendly.  Frost has some great play designs and calls when he has more space to use.  That is really his expertise.  I remember specific plays from last year where Frost was able to create wide open receivers and create space for his running game through the play design.  That will get easier with even there is more talent surrounding the QB.

Where the talent around the QB is more important is in the red zone offense.  The team lacked guys who can use their amazing talent to make plays in limited space.  Wandale showed glimpses of that during the middle of the season.  Hopefully he will be more durable going forward, if he isn't forced into as many touches.  Manning and Betts should drastically improve the WR room, and I think Hickman can be a unique talent at the TE/big WR position.  Where the offense could improve the most is with stronger o-line play.  Frost was hesitant to trust the o-line to "bully" teams, and if the o-line can start to do that, it takes pressure of the QB's to make plays by themselves.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Two or more RBs behind the QB.  Both are there at snap most of the time.  Run blocking by the O line . I formation. Veer.  Bone.  Split T.  Etc.  lead blockers.  Basic run plays.   TE often.  1 WR split wide etc.   

Obviously one can run or pass from almost any formation but it’s hard to get number and or strength  advantage if the defense can stuff the run plays without numbers edge in doing so.  You need to put enough pressure on the defense in the run game to where they underplay the pass and u exploit it.  
I don’t feel like teams respected our run game to open up the pass game or respected our pass game to open up a run.  You need one or the other.  You need enough power run to force defenses into substitution out of a pass defense to stop runs.  

TLDR: “Me miss fullback”

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I can't think of a better example recently than the Chiefs.  Explosive offense vs the best defenses the NFL had to offer.  Having multiple schemes to create explosive chunk plays works at all levels of football.

And in my opinion, the Chiefs' offensive line gets hardly any recognition. Their pass blocking is awesome. Mahomes is obviously amazing at improvising and avoiding sacks - but he wouldn't have done what he's been able to do without good pass blocking.

For me, the apex of our terrible offensive line play last season was against Minnesota. We couldn't do anything because even just the slightest linebacker blitzes got through to Vedral.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, Undone said:

And in my opinion, the Chiefs' offensive line gets hardly any recognition. Their pass blocking is awesome. Mahomes is obviously amazing at improvising and avoiding sacks - but he wouldn't have done what he's been able to do without good pass blocking.

For me, the apex of our terrible offensive line play last season was against Minnesota. We couldn't do anything because even just the slightest linebacker blitzes got through to Vedral.

blitzes normally picked up by RB not O line.   blame may go to the offensive scheme - designer not the players.  if the coach has no design to protect the QB from blitzing beyond hope and pray and throw it quick to the dump valve receiver for example then ???

im not saying this was always or mostly the case as i dont know.  but if youre sending everybody out for a pass then the pass pro is gonna be poor when the defense has big numbers edge.  our pass game was mediocre considering the percent of the personnel on the  offense devoted to it.  

Breaking down the Husker scholarship numbers by position
ByBRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON Feb 3, 6:43 PM

QB Scholarships on roster: 4

QB Scholarships on campus now: 4

Juniors: Adrian Martinez, Noah Vedral

Redshirt freshman: Luke McCaffrey

True freshman: Logan Smothers

How it looks: Really good. I get that people have their concerns after Martinez took a step back last season, but it's impressive Nebraska was able to add Smothers to the room with all those guys in the competition and plenty of eligibility still in front of them. Considering that Nebraska had no QBs with the traits that matched with what this staff probably would have recruited themselves when they arrived in December of 2017, you'd have to say quarterback is one of the best examples of Frost's staff reshaping a position group to fit their eye during the first two years.   LINK

==================================================  

From a 247 article by Brian Christopherson a couple days ago.  

Last 10 Years QB Passing Stats - rushing def matters but just showing we need someone who can spin it. I'd say 8/10 years passing wise we haven't done well. Not good ratio 

2010: 1,631 yards (59.2%) 10 TD 7 INT

2011: 2,089 yards (56.3%) 13 TD 8 INT

2012: 2,871 yards (62%) 23 TD 12 INT

2013: 667 yards (62.7%) 10 TD 2 INT - injury....others combined 1,885 yards 55.5% 15 TD 11 INT

2014: 2,695 yards (53.3%) 22 TD 12 INT

2015: 3,030 yards (55.2%) 22 TD 16 INT

2016: 2,180 yards (51.4%) 14 TD 8 INT

2017: 3,143 yards (57.5%) 23 TD 16 INT

2018: 2,617 yards (64.6%) 17 TD 8 INT

2019: 1,956 yards (59.4%) 10 TD 9 INT

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Last 10 Years QB Passing Stats - rushing def matters but just showing we need someone who can spin it. I'd say 8/10 years passing wise we haven't done well. Not good ratio 

2010: 1,631 yards (59.2%) 10 TD 7 INT

2011: 2,089 yards (56.3%) 13 TD 8 INT

2012: 2,871 yards (62%) 23 TD 12 INT

2013: 667 yards (62.7%) 10 TD 2 INT - injury....others combined 1,885 yards 55.5% 15 TD 11 INT

2014: 2,695 yards (53.3%) 22 TD 12 INT

2015: 3,030 yards (55.2%) 22 TD 16 INT

2016: 2,180 yards (51.4%) 14 TD 8 INT

2017: 3,143 yards (57.5%) 23 TD 16 INT

2018: 2,617 yards (64.6%) 17 TD 8 INT

2019: 1,956 yards (59.4%) 10 TD 9 INT

Yeah, maybe three years.  2012-13 Taylor Martinez.  And 2018 Adrian Martinez.  To be fair though, we've started mostly running QBs during this time.  Taylor Martinez, Tommy Armstrong and Adrian Martinez.  Still, several of those years have some pretty crappy stats.  

16 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

blitzes normally picked up by RB not O line.

Sometimes, yes. But a well-coached linemen knows to chip and then get back on his primary block.

16 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

blame may go to the offensive scheme - designer not the players.

I agree there.