Covid-19 Legislation

13 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Becaue it would take them over a year to select at least 3 software systems that would be secure enough for them and get bids for each of them...then decide which software system for teleconferencing they would go with.  It would have to facilitate their possible voting etc. so it might even be custom.

In other words, government contract selection is a long and ardent process.  I speak from experience being in IT and having worked in the government sector.

That is funny and I imagine very true!

20 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Becaue it would take them over a year to select at least 3 software systems that would be secure enough for them and get bids for each of them...then decide which software system for teleconferencing they would go with.  It would have to facilitate their possible voting etc. so it might even be custom.

In other words, government contract selection is a long and ardent process.  I speak from experience being in IT and having worked in the government sector.

Then they would need to make sure the concrete is environmentally sound that is holding up the fire retardant carpet that your ergonomically sound chair rolls on so that your carbon neutral office can operate. 

yeah, I have some experience in this too. 

Well I put in an app for the SBA PPP loan and the bank I'm dealing with has approved it. I guess now I wait and see if it actually gets funded and if I get closing papers.

I do think it will have the desired effect in most cases. If it goes through and I actually get the money, I will not have to lay anyone off or cut hours at all. In fact, if I did cut hours, less of the "loan" would be forgiven and I would have to pay it back. My goal/hope is to have the full amount forgiven.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

I guess I don't have a problem with this. Banks (and others) are waiving payments, interest etc., so if some of this goes towards paying debt, that should have already been paid :dunno People still need to pay their debts and bills or file for bankruptcy protection. Kind of sucks for those that may need the payments for other things but there is a lesson here.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

You really don't get it eh?

I guess not. Would you care to enlighten me?

I mean sure, it sucks, especially the timing. This money was intended to help people facing unusual circumstances due to the virus. I would rather have seen this money be untouchable. But I also have seen enough of people who take on debt, spending money they don't have, and then act like it's somebody else's problem when it comes time to pay the Piper. I've never known a payment from the government to not be subject to seizure so I guess it doesn't surprise me.

22 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

These are officially called Economic Impact Checks by the IRS. 

They are being provided because over 16 million Americans lost their jobs and healthcare in the past 2.5 weeks.

And banks can take that income for debts when it is supposed to go to food and rent.  If you think it's ok and you have no outrage (at both what is happening and our lawmakers for not putting in preventative measures) your empathy needs adjustment if it exists at all.

You don't penalize 100% of the people based on a small percentage of the people's actions...or maybe you do...which plays into that empathy thing again.

I guess you must not have lost your job or been affected in any way by the most massive economic disaster in the history of the United States.

You need to quit living in a bubble...this virus and this economy crashing is causing people to die and starve and you're only thinking about whether "its someone else's problem when it comes time to pay the Piper".  Just sick man.

Well then according to you, my empathy may need a slight tweak because, no, I’m not as outraged as you are. But then again, why would I set my moral/empathy compass based on someone who apparently has no reading comprehension skills and is apparently much more interested in making a huge display of just how outraged they can be?

I guess you chose to just completely ignore this since it didn’t fit your narrative....

30 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I mean sure, it sucks, especially the timing. This money was intended to help people facing unusual circumstances due to the virus. I would rather have seen this money be untouchable.

Ive got a couple ladders on standby if you need any help getting off your high horse.

A key part of my response was that I was not surprised that they didn’t make this money untouchable. It’s our government after all. They could eff up a wet dream. Can you name any payments or checks from the federal government that are not subject to seizure by creditors. This may have been the time to make an exception but for the life of me I can’t come up with any precedent.

And I need more help understanding the world apparently. Could you explain the bolded in your response above? How exactly are 100% of the people being penalized by this?

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I guess not. Would you care to enlighten me?

I mean sure, it sucks, especially the timing. This money was intended to help people facing unusual circumstances due to the virus. I would rather have seen this money be untouchable. But I also have seen enough of people who take on debt, spending money they don't have, and then act like it's somebody else's problem when it comes time to pay the Piper. I've never known a payment from the government to not be subject to seizure so I guess it doesn't surprise me.

Do you really not understand the difference between getting money to people and banks confiscating that money? Banks that are being bailed out already.