Covid-19 Legislation

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

As for checks, I have three kids from 19-24.  The youngest has received a deposit.  The others haven't.  I'm wondering about if the oldest will get one because she hasn't had to file a tax return for the last couple years.

Anyone have a clue how that works?

After a little more research, I don’t think anyone collects, parent or kid, for dependents over the age of 16. To get the $500 the kid has to be 16 or under and claimed as a dependent on your return. To get the $1200 they cannot be claimed as dependent on anyone else’s return. So, I think those of us with college age kids get double screwed. Somebody please tell me I’m wrong.

11 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

After a little more research, I don’t think anyone collects, parent or kid, for dependents over the age of 16. To get the $500 the kid has to be 16 or under and claimed as a dependent on your return. To get the $1200 they cannot be claimed as dependent on anyone else’s return. So, I think those of us with college age kids get double screwed. Somebody please tell me I’m wrong.

This is how a buddy, who has one in college and a 17 year old, has researched it as well...he is not especially thrilled that not only will he not get the $500 for either of them, they will not receive anything either

13 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

What's interesting though, my son received one.  He's always been listed as a dependent.

Oh well.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What's interesting though, my son received one.  He's always been listed as a dependent.

Oh well.

Would he happen to be right near the age bubble? Possibly the cut off age was at some previous date or based on his age at the last tax filing :dunno If he’s the youngest of your kids...

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

He's 19 and a sophomore in college.

I’ve also seen/heard that the cut off age may be 18 instead of 16 :dunno

Not that having a gap in the benefit makes a lick of sense but 18 does make a lot more sense than 16.

Anyway, congrats for “gaming” the system :lol:

2 hours ago, commando said:

“USAA is confiscating the emergency $1,200 coronavirus checks from veterans and military families who have debt, leaving us struggling to survive during this crisis. This is absolutely unacceptable.”

Welp I was wrong. I figured they wouldn't want the negative PR.