Covid-19 Legislation

12 minutes ago, Swiv3D said:

This is more about the producers rather than consumers. Iowa pig farmers are hurting bad right now

I’m not implying things aren’t bad for them, but they should be able to reach out to the government thru other means than by taking out an ad. But I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what it takes to reach our government. 

I suppose they’re gonna have to start killing pigs and then we’re going to have long-term supply issues. So hopefully there’s a fix to prevent that from happening. Pay them to keep the operations going.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I’m not implying things aren’t bad for them, but they should be able to reach out to the government thru other means than by taking out an ad. But I guess I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s what it takes to reach our government. 

I suppose they’re gonna have to start killing pigs and then we’re going to have long-term supply issues. So hopefully there’s a fix to prevent that from happening. Pay them to keep the operations going.

Sometimes you have to convince the public before the government leaders take notice.

22 hours ago, TGHusker said:

We may have riots on our streets before long.  The govt has done a terrible job wt the SBA rollout and their inability to handle

unemployment claims.   Not much deep planning went into this.  The trump kids must be overseeing the  'relief effort'. 

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/04/27/delays-for-unemployment-no-food-people-talking-about-suicide/

1.4 million / 3,000 people is 467 calls per operator. That’s 2 calls per hour per person over 20 days if they work 10 hours.

This seems like an issue with the system handling the calls. 

Also, how is NY not getting more unemployment funds from the fed?

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

1.4 million / 3,000 people is 467 calls per operator. That’s 2 calls per hour per person over 20 days if they work 10 hours.

This seems like an issue with the system handling the calls. 

Also, how is NY not getting more unemployment funds from the fed?

Trump playing favorites.  He sees Cuomo as a new potential rival (I think the Dems would be smart to find a way to replace Uncle Joe wt Gov Cuomo)

Here is some forward thinking - thanks Liz Warren

https://www.vox.com/2020/4/30/21241842/coronavirus-covid-supply-shortages-ppe-elizabeth-warren

Under a new bill from Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) and Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-IL), a new federal agency would take responsibility for eliminating protective gear shortages and other supply scarcities critical to the coronavirus response.

The legislation, to be released on Thursday and shared first with Vox, seeks to remedy the critical supply shortages reported in some Covid-19 hot spots. It also serves as a counter to President Donald Trump’s reluctance to exploit the full power of the Defense Production Act (DPA) to address those problems.

The bill would set up a new Emergency Office of Manufacturing for Public Health within the US Health and Human Services Department. That agency would be charged with guaranteeing “an adequate supply of drugs, devices, biological products, active pharmaceutical ingredients, and other supplies necessary to diagnose, mitigate, and treat COVID-19 and to address shortages in products used to treat non-COVID conditions and illnesses,” according to a summary of the bill.

The office could enter into contracts with private manufacturers to produce those supplies or it could assume responsibility for manufacturing itself. The bill text authorizes the federal government to construct manufacturing facilities if necessary to perform that work. Separate from addressing supply needs, the bill would also authorize the government to construct facilities that could produce vaccines and other therapeutics as soon as they become available.

If the bill were to become law, the office would be required to begin its work within one month of its passage. Once supplies are produced, the government must provide them to federal, state, local and Native American health programs at no cost. They could be sold to private or international entities at a fair price. The office would also be charged with replenishing the national strategic stockpiles that have been depleted during the Covid-19 outbreak.

“We need to radically increase our supply of personal protective equipment and other medical supplies to attack the coronavirus crisis head-on. We have an Administration that is failing to lead and failing to ensure health care providers and patients have the resources they need,” Warren said in a statement. “Our bill will rapidly produce the equipment and supplies Americans are counting on. The president won’t act, but Congress should. Our bill needs to be included in the next relief package.”

• Plus1 1