Covid-19 Legislation

2 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Figure it out.  Read the words she printed, look them up if you have to...and make a decision to what she's saying based on the words present.

Don't make a decision based on the words that aren't present.

Can I include the video from Krystal ball?

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've asked for an interpretation and haven't received one.  Then, you post a video of someone basically saying what I claim AOC is saying.

So...if I'm wrong, enlighten me.

I'm not sure how else to say it. AOC is pointing out the disconnect in the system. You're focused on people within the system. They aren't the same.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Can I include the video from Krystal ball?

Krystal Ball expands on what AOC is saying, but she's not speaking for AOC. I posted that video to give another view of the same disconnect but applied more to the rich and elites and not just the system itself.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I mean...couldn't garment workers just like...make their own in like 5 minutes?  Seems like a no brainer. 

Also note this is in Myanmar but I didn't see a better thread to put it in. From the article:

On March 28, the union decided to speak to the factory’s owners again. “We wanted masks to be made mandatory, an end to mandatory overtime while the crisis was on, and we wanted them to send home the two women whose husbands had COVID-like symptoms,” a veteran union leader named Mau Maung, who was part of the negotiating committee, said. “It was a half-day, Saturday, so the management told us it would come back with a decision soon.” A few hours later, an official came to the room where the workers were gathered and read out a list of 571 names. Everyone on the list, including Myint, Maung, and 520 union members, was fired on the spot, representing about half of Myan Mode’s workforce.

“We were given no notice at all,” Maung said.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not sure how else to say it. AOC is pointing out the disconnect in the system. You're focused on people within the system. They aren't the same.

Krystal Ball expands on what AOC is saying, but she's not speaking for AOC. I posted that video to give another view of the same disconnect but applied more to the rich and elites and not just the system itself.

So, anyone who invests while unemployment is going up is evil. 

Got it. 

• Plus1 1

Is it wrong to adjust stock portfolios in times like this?  Should a person in charge of retirement accounts just put his/her head in the sand and shut down during this?  No, absolutely not!  We should all agree on that.

Should a company receive millions of dollars to be "bailed out" of our situation only to lay off workers and deprive them of healthcare via group insurance policies?  No.  I don't think that is a good look at all.  I think "most" of us would agree on that.

It's get really annoying watching people talk past each other and ignore the point of a conversation.  I always laughed at college professors that insisted on setting norms, like clearly identifying the topic, not allowing hypotheticals, etc., for the classroom discussions.  But spending time in here, I can see why it's so important.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Should a company receive millions of dollars to be "bailed out" of our situation only to lay off workers and deprive them of healthcare via group insurance policies?  No.  I don't think that is a good look at all.  I think "most" of us would agree on that.

This I agree with.  However, I don't see this as being what AOC and Krystal are talking about.

48 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Is it wrong to adjust stock portfolios in times like this?  Should a person in charge of retirement accounts just put his/her head in the sand and shut down during this?  No, absolutely not!  We should all agree on that.

This I also agree with.  But, it seems to be what AOC and Krystal ARE talking about.  

Now, if I'm wrong about that, someone needs to explain it to me.  They seem to be upset that people are investing in the market while people are unemployed.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

You specifically talk about the "rich and elites" who are disconnected from the trails of the rest of the world.  Not sure how that differs from what I'm saying both OAC and Krystal Ball are saying.

Ok, maybe it's unclear but I posted the Krystal Ball clip to show a contrast to what AOC is saying, not that AOC and Ball are saying the same things.

AOC is saying the system is the problem. That has nothing to do with individuals, which you keep trying to tie it back to. (EDIT: And note that AOC's tweet specifically references bailouts for Wall St.)

Ball is saying the rich and elites are the problem. That has to do with a group and not all individuals but is not the same point AOC is making.

Your arguments are more against what Ball is saying and don't address what AOC is saying. But even then Ball is limiting her scope to the rich and elites that own most of the stocks. So when you say things like "nobody should invest" you're missing both of their points.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Ok, maybe it's unclear but I posted the Krystal Ball clip to show a contrast to what AOC is saying, not that AOC and Ball are saying the same things.

AOC is saying the system is the problem. That has nothing to do with individuals, which you keep trying to tie it back to. (EDIT: And note that AOC's tweet specifically references bailouts for Wall St.)

Ball is saying the rich and elites are the problem. That has to do with a group and not all individuals but is not the same point AOC is making.

Your arguments are more against what Ball is saying and don't address what AOC is saying. But even then Ball is limiting her scope to the rich and elites that own most of the stocks. So when you say things like "nobody should invest" you're missing both of their points.

OK..I thought you were posting it because you thought they were saying the same thing.  The issue is though, the system is individual investors.  

So....I'll leave it at Krystal Ball thinks people investing right now in the market are inconsiderate and horrible.

As for AOC, then I'm not sure what she's saying.  If she says the system is bad because people can invest even though unemployment went up, does she think we should have a trigger in the system so that if unemployment goes up, the stock market is closed so nobody can invest?

If she thinks the market went up because people were investing because they were happy people lost their jobs, then she's loony tune crazy.

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK..I thought you were posting it because you thought they were saying the same thing.  The issue is though, the system is individual investors.  

So....I'll leave it at Krystal Ball thinks people investing right now in the market are inconsiderate and horrible.

As for AOC, then I'm not sure what she's saying.  If she says the system is bad because people can invest even though unemployment went up, does she think we should have a trigger in the system so that if unemployment goes up, the stock market is closed so nobody can invest?

If she thinks the market went up because people were investing because they were happy people lost their jobs, then she's loony tune crazy.

The system is the rules, laws, regulations, etc. that dictate who, how, and when people can invest. And the larger system of the economy dictates who has the money to be able to invest. That's what I mean (and I think AOC means) when I talk about the system.

28 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

The system is the rules, laws, regulations, etc. that dictate who, how, and when people can invest. And the larger system of the economy dictates who has the money to be able to invest. That's what I mean (and I think AOC means) when I talk about the system.

OK...but, please explain what she thinks needs to be done when unemployment goes up pertaining to investing.