Covid-19 Legislation

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And sometimes people always jump to the negative. 

That's what you did. I asked a question, about the possibility of what some businesses are doing, and you treated it as if I made a statement about all businesses.

19 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, the whole market is disconnected from what’s happening is just based on ignorance with a motivation of an agenda. 

Nobody's said that. Maybe you think AOC meant it, fine, but I don't think she or anyone has said anything to be meant as literal or simple-minded as that.

13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

That's what you did. I asked a question, about the possibility of what some businesses are doing, and you treated it as if I made a statement about all businesses.

Of coarse there’s some that are doing that. But, that is the minority of businesses in America. 

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Of coarse there’s some that are doing that. But, that is the minority of businesses in America. 

I really think people that have never really worked for a company before think that big business is out to get the worker...

I would argue that the worker screws over the business...showing up late, leaving early, fake sick days, on the web all day.

My buddy got me a summer gig years ago at InfoUSA...His friend was my boss on the the sales team I was part of...I knew I was just there for the summer, so did my boss (who later became my friend), I showed up 15 minutes early everyday...not to make calls but to pad my time...I left 10 minutes late every day...I came back from lunch early...I called numbers that I knew were voicemails to get more "talk time"...I was doing all I could to get more hours and do less work...I exploited Vin Gupta's company.

So many of the people I worked with at that place took a smoke "break" every hour for 10 minutes...they left early...they had friends "punch them out"

s#!t, one guy there got his boyfriend a job...then just punched him in everyday even though the guy never showed up.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

I really think people that have never really worked for a company before think that big business is out to get the worker...

I would argue that the worker screws over the business...showing up late, leaving early, fake sick days, on the web all day.

This is dead wrong. I think anyone that has worked for a few companies knows the company is out for itself. It's the rare manager and even rarer owner/CEO that cares about the workers.

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

This is dead wrong. I think anyone that has worked for a few companies knows the company is out for itself. It's the rare manager and even rarer owner/CEO that cares about the workers.

I have worked for a few...and I would say it is not dead wrong.

But I would have to ask you what you mean, exactly.

Do you mean that the CEO is not super worried if some low level worker in a company of 10,000 people is replaced?  yes, I agree (so do you) that they don't care...much like me, a (bad) football coach doesn't really care if my 4th string DE quits.  I still care about the kid in the sense that he is a human and I hope he does well...but I get it if he wants to leave the team.

I am guessing you agree with what I just said and that you will now recant your "dead wrong"...I have never worked with or worked for or coached with or coached for anyone that hope anything but the best.  You as well, I assume...unless you worked for like, Ted Bundy Corp.

I think in the end you have this...

Most:  Hope you do well WITH them (No one hires someone hoping they suck)

Small amount:  Want to get rid of you

Super small amount:  Hope they can kill you later (Ted Bundy Corp)

• Haha 1
23 hours ago, teachercd said:

I have worked for a few...and I would say it is not dead wrong.

But I would have to ask you what you mean, exactly.

Do you mean that the CEO is not super worried if some low level worker in a company of 10,000 people is replaced?  yes, I agree (so do you) that they don't care...much like me, a (bad) football coach doesn't really care if my 4th string DE quits.  I still care about the kid in the sense that he is a human and I hope he does well...but I get it if he wants to leave the team.

I am guessing you agree with what I just said and that you will now recant your "dead wrong"...I have never worked with or worked for or coached with or coached for anyone that hope anything but the best.  You as well, I assume...unless you worked for like, Ted Bundy Corp.

I think in the end you have this...

Most:  Hope you do well WITH them (No one hires someone hoping they suck)

Small amount:  Want to get rid of you

Super small amount:  Hope they can kill you later (Ted Bundy Corp)

No, I mean a lot of companies are out to get their workers. All you have to do is take a look at history to see the extreme stuff like child labor, or look around now at meat packing plants who aren't providing even minimal protections for their workers from covid but requiring them to go to work. Look around at the extreme lengths corporations are currently going to prevent labor from organizing (Amazon in particular right now).

Personally, I've gotten no raise or raises less than inflation even while the corporation made record profits. I've been part of an entire project that we all got laid off even though the company was actively hiring for most of the roles of us being laid off. (They tried to convince us that we were being "rehired", so that they could offer us less pay. And some of my coworkers had to take their offer because they couldn't risk going without health insurance.) I've been required to work 15+ hour days, every weekend for months on end, and holidays and my kids' birthdays.

11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

No, I mean a lot of companies are out to get their workers. All you have to do is take a look at history to see the extreme stuff like child labor, or look around now at meat packing plants who aren't providing even minimal protections for their workers from covid but requiring them to go to work. Look around at the extreme lengths corporations are currently going to prevent labor from organizing (Amazon in particular right now).

Personally, I've gotten no raise or raises less than inflation even while the corporation made record profits. I've been part of an entire project that we all got laid off even though the company was actively hiring for most of the roles of us being laid off. (They tried to convince us that we were being "rehired", so that they could offer us less pay. And some of my coworkers had to take their offer because they couldn't risk going without health insurance.) I've been required to work 15+ hour days, every weekend for months on end, and holidays and my kids' birthdays.

Maybe you work for the wrong company.

• Plus1 1

20 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I agree, but that doesn't change my point.

I get what you are saying but that is a small % of companies.  It has to be a small % because they would not keep people around and they would close up.

You are kind of saying this..."I bought a BMW and it sucked...it had so many problems...so all BMW's suck"

I have worked (counting jobs when I was in HS) for 11 different places (companies)

The closest I came to be exploited was a lawn care company in college.  The owner did not pay us overtime...he simply made out overtime hours PTO...Not really the end of the world.  One of the schools I worked at I had extra duties (like Lunch Duty) and got no extra pay...not really a big deal.

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

I get what you are saying but that is a small % of companies.  It has to be a small % because they would not keep people around and they would close up.

You are kind of saying this..."I bought a BMW and it sucked...it had so many problems...so all BMW's suck"

I have worked (counting jobs when I was in HS) for 11 different places (companies)

The closest I came to be exploited was a lawn care company in college.  The owner did not pay us overtime...he simply made out overtime hours PTO...Not really the end of the world.  One of the schools I worked at I had extra duties (like Lunch Duty) and got no extra pay...not really a big deal.

You're claiming it's a small number of companies, but I'd like to see the evidence for it.

And the logic that it has be a small number doesn't work if the employees have no where to go. Think of your BMW example. What if you lived somewhere that only sold BMW and Yugos. BMW sucks but it's still better than Yugo. Or what if there were Audis (or insert your preferred car company here) sold but they had all been bought because there were so few of them and everyone where you live wants one.