Covid-19 Legislation

A housing ‘apocalypse’ is coming as coronavirus protections across the country expire

Even before the coronavirus pandemic, the U.S. was experiencing what housing experts and advocates deemed an eviction crisis. More than 2 million people face eviction each year, far more than the number of people who faced foreclosure at the height of the 2008 mortgage crisis. 

Experts expect the eviction crisis to get far worse in the coming months. The Covid-19 economic recession has hit renters especially hard. They make up a disproportionate share of service sector jobs, an industry that has been decimated as a result of the coronavirus shutdowns.

In fact, between March 25 and April 10 of this year, nearly half of renters aged 18 to 64 reported that they were having trouble paying their rent or utilities, were food insecure or couldn’t afford needed medical care, according to the Urban Institute. 

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Meanwhile congress twiddles their thumbs. "But we may have to wait till July for news on a second round of payments: That is when Congress plans to start work in earnest on a proposed second-round financial package."

https://www.cnet.com/personal-finance/second-stimulus-check-update-how-much-you-could-get-payment-timeline-latest-news/

Also, they've had a crapton of time this time around so there's no excuse for how they allocate funds. They should give more this time, but to the people who need it the most.

And then you have this moron. Do these idiots have no foresight at all or do they just not give a s#!t?

"It takes a lot of the wind out of the sails of any phase 4," Stephen Moore, a White House adviser, said about the job numbers and a second stimulus package, as quoted in The Washington Post. "We don't need it now. There's no reason to have a major spending bill. The sense of urgent crisis is very greatly dissipated by the report."

The White House is also considering reducing unemployment payments to $250 or $300 a week during the second half of the year, which Republicans believe will induce people who lost their jobs to find work.

:facepalm:

The Senate package could include provisions to reduce liability for doctors and businesses from coronavirus-related lawsuits, the Journal reported.

Guess which party suggested ^

Yes!  Second Round!!!!!!  Don't f#&% this up stupid politicians!  

Also, housing issues...my house is worth way more than I paid for it right now...I have a feeling that is going to change a bit BUT homes in Omaha seem to still be selling in just a few days.

32 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Yes!  Second Round!!!!!!  Don't f#&% this up stupid politicians!  

Also, housing issues...my house is worth way more than I paid for it right now...I have a feeling that is going to change a bit BUT homes in Omaha seem to still be selling in just a few days.

It just needs to hold steady for another 10 years.  When the kids graduate, we're outta here!  

We could sell our house, pay off all our debt, and live in a small 2-bedroom house somewhere in the boonies.  Can't wait!

• Haha 1
Just now, funhusker said:

It just needs to hold steady for another 10 years.  When the kids graduate, we're outta here!  

We could sell our house, pay off all our debt, and live in a small 2-bedroom house somewhere in the boonies.  Can't wait!

The f#&%ing dream!!!!

Here is how stupid I am...I want to buy a house to use as a rental property...even though people are just deciding to no longer pay rent.

Hell I had a LLC set up for a year or so with some buddies to do just that...we dissolved it though.  We could never agree on anything.

17 hours ago, teachercd said:

My friend rents in a small complex in California.  The other renters have been in a group chat saying they should band together and stop paying rent (I think 12 units), my friend said "why would we stop paying rent" and they said "because of the virus.  As far as he knew, most of them were still fully employed when they came up with this idea.

People that own rental properties in certain areas will never get a rent check again.  Most people that do rent out homes or Apts are not millionaires.  As you know, being in Omaha (I think), if you are paying 1400 a month for a 3BR 2 Bath rental home...the person that owns that house is probably paying 900-1000 a month on the mortgage.   They are lucky to make 4,000 dollars on that rental home at the end of the year.

If you still have a job and it hasn't been affected by the virus, it's assigning to think you shouldn't have to pay rent like normal.  I'm on board with figuring out how to help people who lost their jobs or are making a lot less.  But, still...that shouldn't fall just on the landlord to suck it up and take it.  I don't care if you're a company that owns 1,000s of units across the country.  It all works the same.  If that company all of a sudden isn't getting rent income, the people that work for them will lose their jobs and it just keeps snowballing.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If you still have a job and it hasn't been affected by the virus, it's assigning to think you shouldn't have to pay rent like normal.  I'm on board with figuring out how to help people who lost their jobs or are making a lot less.  But, still...that shouldn't fall just on the landlord to suck it up and take it.  I don't care if you're a company that owns 1,000s of units across the country.  It all works the same.  If that company all of a sudden isn't getting rent income, the people that work for them will lose their jobs and it just keeps snowballing.

Amen!

And you know some a$$h@!es will take advantage of not paying rent for as long as they can.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, it's why this is a societal problem that really needs a government solution. We can continue doing nothing like we are now, and then renters will be evicted and landlords will have trouble finding income creating both homelessness and landlords insolvent. Or we could try to keep renters in their homes and while keeping landlords afloat.

• Plus1 1

On 6/15/2020 at 10:13 AM, RedDenver said:

Yes, it's why this is a societal problem that really needs a government solution. We can continue doing nothing like we are now, and then renters will be evicted and landlords will have trouble finding income creating both homelessness and landlords insolvent. Or we could try to keep renters in their homes and while keeping landlords afloat.

#PeopleLiveInHomeForFree

Yeah...I just tried that bit with Quicken Loans...It didn't fly.