Covid-19 Legislation

On 5/4/2020 at 2:31 PM, BigRedBuster said:

OK....I just about puked on Saturday.  I go get the mail and in it, is a letter to my son (that received a $1,200 check) from the IRS.  So, I opened it thinking it's something important tax wise.

Nope...it was a letter from Trump explaining what a great job he and congress did in getting him that money.

So.....yep......Trump is using the IRS for campaign propaganda.

I got the same letter and didn't bother to read it.  What a waste of tax payor dollars at a time like this  - 

17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What a load of BS.

It drives me crazy when someone tries to point out that the stock market is doing well when we all should be crying in our cheerios.  

The stock market has nothing to do with the pandemic.

The lamest part is her trying to blame capitalism.  

7 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

Does the pandemic have an impact on the economy?

What??  Are we supposed to be disgusted that the stock market isn't crashing?

So...now...traders should watch the news.  Next time there's a pandemic, there should be an automatic trigger that crashes the market.  That would make everyone feel so much better.  You know...misery loves company.

FYI....just in case it's news to you.  The stock market is not a perfect indication of how the economy is going. 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What??  Are we supposed to be disgusted that the stock market isn't crashing?

So...now...traders should watch the news.  Next time there's a pandemic, there should be an automatic trigger that crashes the market.  That would make everyone feel so much better.  You know...misery loves company.

FYI....just in case it's news to you.  The stock market is not a perfect indication of how the economy is going. 

But it's very telling that the stock market is going up while millions are losing their jobs. Ask yourself what kind of indicator the stock market is if it goes up while there's a pandemic and historic unemployment.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

But it's very telling that the stock market is going up while millions are losing their jobs. Ask yourself what kind of indicator the stock market is if it goes up while there's a pandemic and historic unemployment.

Pssst...it's never really been a good one.  It's always been somewhat a myth that the stock market is going up so the economy must be doing great.

The stock market trades on individual stocks (mostly).  And...it trades on the speculation as to what those stocks are going to do in the future.  Yes...there is a pandemic going on.  But...you know what?  Most people understand that this pandemic is temporary.  And....there's good companies still to invest in.

The tweet above makes it sound like that's just HORRIBLE.  How in the hell could the market be going up when there's a pandemic.  Oh...the horror.  

It's BS.

You want to know why the market has ticked up the last few days?  Because states are opening up and people have a chance to go back to work.  Should the market cry over that?

• Fire 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Pssst...it's never really been a good one.  It's always been somewhat a myth that the stock market is going up so the economy must be doing great.

The stock market trades on individual stocks (mostly).  And...it trades on the speculation as to what those stocks are going to do in the future.  Yes...there is a pandemic going on.  But...you know what?  Most people understand that this pandemic is temporary.  And....there's good companies still to invest in.

The tweet above makes it sound like that's just HORRIBLE.  How in the hell could the market be going up when there's a pandemic.  Oh...the horror.  

It's BS.

You want to know why the market has ticked up the last few days?  Because states are opening up and people have a chance to go back to work.  Should the market cry over that?

Most people don't have money in such largess to invest in companies - good or bad. Many workers are now unemployed or underemployed. Yet somebody is investing such large amounts that the market goes up despite massive unemployment. It's yet another reflection of the wealth inequality of our society.

4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Most people don't have money in such largess to invest in companies - good or bad. Many workers are now unemployed or underemployed. Yet somebody is investing such large amounts that the market goes up despite massive unemployment. It's yet another reflection of the wealth inequality of our society.

And where is that money coming from? Sales? Hardly.

Most of it is likely coming from stimulus cash.

• Plus1 1
Just now, RedDenver said:

Seriously?  Meh....that's a lame view point.

So...if I have money...I should be all depressed and not invest it till everyone goes back to work.

FYI....I went back and looked.  Over the last 3 months, the DOW is down about 19%.  For the last month, it's been trading pretty flat.  

It's not like the stock market is skyrocketing in celebration of everything going so great in the world.

The tweet from AOC was nothing more than trying to demonize anyone who...god forbid.....invests in the stockmarket.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Seriously?  Meh....that's a lame view point.

So...if I have money...I should be all depressed and not invest it till everyone goes back to work.

FYI....I went back and looked.  Over the last 3 months, the DOW is down about 19%.  For the last month, it's been trading pretty flat.  

It's not like the stock market is skyrocketing in celebration of everything going so great in the world.

The tweet from AOC was nothing more than trying to demonize anyone who...god forbid.....invests in the stockmarket.

Neither AOC nor I demonized any individuals. You're the one trying to make it about each person. The problem is with the system that we've collectively setup that allows this to happen. The stock market movement is just a reflection or a measure of that system.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The stock market took a pretty big hit in late February and most of March.  It bounced a little late march and has traded mostly sideways ever since.  

I'm having a hard time seeing that the market is rising so mightily.  

It's not all good news for the market, but the month of April is what I'm talking about:

Stock Market Today: May 4, 2020

The month of April was a historic one for the U.S. stock market, with the major equity averages delivering their biggest one-month gains in more than three decades.

8 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Neither AOC nor I demonized any individuals. You're the one trying to make it about each person. The problem is with the system that we've collectively setup that allows this to happen. The stock market movement is just a reflection or a measure of that system.

Allow what to happen exactly?

Sorry...people have money.  And...if they do, it's going to be invested.  One hell of a lot of that are institutional investors managing funds for people with 401Ks or other retirement funds.  Are those people just supposed to turn off their accounts because of a virus?

And....please look at the market since March 1st and tell me what exactly is AOC trying to get at?

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Allow what to happen exactly?

Sorry...people have money.  And...if they do, it's going to be invested.  One hell of a lot of that are institutional investors managing funds for people with 401Ks or other retirement funds.  Are those people just supposed to turn off their accounts because of a virus?

And....please look at the market since March 1st and tell me what exactly is AOC trying to get at?

Why pick March 1? Look at the market since April 1 and then tell me what you see.