Covid-19 Legislation

15 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Money is like sand through the fingers to these people. 

I'll never ask "How are we going to pay for it?  again.  Every one needs to apologize to Bernie who asked that question. It is a matter of priorities.    Of course we need to have sound economics and know how we will pay for programs but huge sums of $$s have been sent to organizations that don't need/deserve it.

• Plus1 2
53 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Money is like sand through the fingers to these people. 

I'll never ask "How are we going to pay for it?  again.  Every one needs to apologize to Bernie who asked that question. It is a matter of priorities.    Of course we need to have sound economics and know how we will pay for programs but huge sums of $$s have been sent to organizations that don't need/deserve it.

To be fair to Powell, inequality is a bit far afield of his actual job duties. The Fed operates primarily to try and affect the economy on a macro level through monetary policy.

If we're going to address inequality more seriously, it's going to have to be through the legislative and executive branches, not the politically independent Fed.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

To be fair to Powell, inequality is a bit far afield of his actual job duties. The Fed operates primarily to try and affect the economy on a macro level through monetary policy.

If we're going to address inequality more seriously, it's going to have to be through the legislative and executive branches, not the politically independent Fed.

agreed

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

True, but the Fed's independence and ability to do anything are because of legislation. We could also change what the Fed can and can't do.

6 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

True, but the Fed's independence and ability to do anything are because of legislation. We could also change what the Fed can and can't do.

Definitely. If you legislate changes in how the Fed operates then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Overall I don't have a problem with the majority of the responses we've taken to Covid vis-a-vis the economy. I have major problems with how they're being implemented and who is held accountable (or not) for that.

Action should be taken to fix that.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Definitely. If you legislate changes in how the Fed operates then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Overall I don't have a problem with the majority of the responses we've taken to Covid vis-a-vis the economy. I have major problems with how they're being implemented and who is held accountable (or not) for that.

Action should be taken to fix that.

Yep.

2 hours ago, RedDenver said:

I have no clue what Trump's motives were.  But, the meat packing plants are a vital part of our food chain and some how need to figure out how to stay open.  When you have people needing food and thousands of animals being put down wastefully just because there isn't a packing house to take them, something needs done.

I know way too much about the packing industry and how it all works to make me not want to defend them.  However, everyone on either side of them in the industry need what they do.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

OK....I just about puked on Saturday.  I go get the mail and in it, is a letter to my son (that received a $1,200 check) from the IRS.  So, I opened it thinking it's something important tax wise.

Nope...it was a letter from Trump explaining what a great job he and congress did in getting him that money.

So.....yep......Trump is using the IRS for campaign propaganda.

• Thanks 3

19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK....I just about puked on Saturday.  I go get the mail and in it, is a letter to my son (that received a $1,200 check) from the IRS.  So, I opened it thinking it's something important tax wise.

Nope...it was a letter from Trump explaining what a great job he and congress did in getting him that money.

So.....yep......Trump is using the IRS for campaign propaganda.

Yep. Girlfriend got that letter as well.

He couldn't get his actual signature on the checks themselves so he did a campaign-style letter with a big fat signature at the bottom.

Everything about the guy is about self-interest.

• Plus1 1

don't know how this is suppose to stop the rona....but it is a fine example of trumpism...always deflecting the blame and failing to do it's job.  if china is responsible it is our government that should respond...not individual americans suing china..

EXVjmECU8AQZXGW?format=jpg&name=small

• Plus1 2