Palpable Buzz College Football Moves to Spring 2021- Impact to Nebraska?

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

If a stage 4 cancer patient is hit by a bus, it effects the survival rates of cancer patients.

This is how these numbers work.  A person with AIDS doesn't die from 'AIDS" they die from pneumonia or other complications.

Up until this virus, most deaths were attributed to cancer or aids though even if the common cold or the flu was the straw that broke the camels back.  This is a bad virus that the media is absolutely taking every opportunity to grab our attention with.  I just think the average citizen should take the information we are being fed with a healthy dose of skepticism and look at all information instead of believing every headline put out there.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Just now, funhusker said:

They have heart attacks.  They die in surgeries.  They die from infections.  Some die from suicide.

Agree completely but the media doesn't report that.  Take a look back and see what the cause of death is reported as.  99% are "we are sad to report that the patient lost a long battle with cancer".  Now it's, "we are sad to say another covid-19 death has been reported".  Some honest sources add the line "The patient did have underlying health conditions".  Again, I think this virus is serious and I'm doing my part.  I just think the media is playing it for everything it's worth and making it seem as bad as possible.  That's how they get people to keep clicking their stories.  To stay on topic, I'll add that the media's reporting will absolutely impact all of society, including whether we have a season next fall.  They are putting a ton of fear out there- some rightfully so.    

• Plus1 1

Robbins said the scenario he is hearing the most is that fall and winter sports, including men's and women's basketball, would all be played in 2021.

"What I've been hearing more of is that maybe doing something combining both basketball and football for the spring, so January-February 2021, and try to play both of them," Robbins said. "There will be all kind of implications for television viewing and confusion. I don't know. We just don't have any answers right now."

Robbins' comments echoed those of University of Connecticut president Tom Katsouleas, who told students in a UConn journalism class teleconference Tuesday that the "current thinking is that likely fall sports will be canceled -- with the exception of those that can be played at a safe distance."

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29085873/arizona-president-says-fall-football-increasingly-unlikely-more-answers-needed

On 4/23/2020 at 10:04 AM, Hilltop said:

Because the New York Times says it's false?  Come on man...  It has been widely reported by multiple outlets that there is at least some inflation of the death totals as any death where someone had the virus is counted as a Covid-19 death.  I'm not down playing the seriousness of the virus but when stage 4 cancer victims are counted as a coronavirus death, it's a little skewed.  It's a bad sickness that I witnessed first hand in a close friend.  There were a couple days where he was really concerned.  In the end, he pulled out of it just fine just like 99+% of healthy people will.  

The thing is, this isn't unique to COVID, this is how cause of death certificates always work.

If a person has colon cancer or Alzheimer's and then becomes positive for COVID-19 and dies, they have 100% died of Sepsis due to COVID-19. They had other co-morbidities, but the actual cause of death is still sepsis due to COVID-19. Their lives were shortened and ended due to this disease. This is how "cause of death" is determined by physicians who complete a death certificate.

This would only be a point if they didn't always do it like this.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, TheWalkinDude said:

I have a hard time believing very many college towns could logistically handle the top two seasons happening simultaneously in several aspects 

It would definitely make things interesting.

But I'm pretty sure Nebraska is one of the few that is packing the house in both sports.  There are a lot of empty basketball arenas out there.  And Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky aren't exactly hurting for space at their football games.  To say nothing of Gonzaga, Dayton, San Diego State, Creighton, Villanova, Butler and other Top 25 basketball teams that don't care anything for football.

7 hours ago, TheWalkinDude said:

Nothing to do with attendance, logistically from a budget standpoint it’s impossible for many, many teams. Not to mention from an academic standpoint. 

How do you figure this? On either of those things, what's the difference if they are at the same time or separate?

13 hours ago, Landlord said:

The thing is, this isn't unique to COVID, this is how cause of death certificates always work.

If a person has colon cancer or Alzheimer's and then becomes positive for COVID-19 and dies, they have 100% died of Sepsis due to COVID-19. They had other co-morbidities, but the actual cause of death is still sepsis due to COVID-19. Their lives were shortened and ended due to this disease. This is how "cause of death" is determined by physicians who complete a death certificate.

This would only be a point if they didn't always do it like this.

Yup, this is how it's always done. The thought process is that they wouldn't have died of their existing disease on that day so the new disease is the cause of death.

• Plus1 1
On 4/26/2020 at 10:08 PM, Mavric said:

It would definitely make things interesting.

But I'm pretty sure Nebraska is one of the few that is packing the house in both sports.  There are a lot of empty basketball arenas out there.  And Duke, Kansas, North Carolina and Kentucky aren't exactly hurting for space at their football games.  To say nothing of Gonzaga, Dayton, San Diego State, Creighton, Villanova, Butler and other Top 25 basketball teams that don't care anything for football.

Another question is, what about Volleyball? Do they play Volleyball in the Spring also? I haven't heard of many ideas concerning NCAA volleyball yet. At some schools, it might not be much of an issue if volleyball doesn't happen, but I'd say it's safe to say it matters a little to the Big10 and especially here at NU.... :D

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...