OWH: Now Is the Time to Reconfigure Memorial Stadium

10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I hate to break it to you but the season ticket holder is not the only concern. The pent up demand behind them is very important. It’s what makes their season tickets valuable and what lets them dump games they can’t or don’t want to go to. In effect, every person who ever goes to a game is some percentage of a season ticket holder.

I bought two full season tickets two years ago prior to the season. They were again offered to me for last season (which I did not do because I could see the pandemic problem coming). But, even with the full season we used 4 games, sold a couple and ate the last game (gave it away for free).

And BTW, I’ll go out on a limb here and say your prediction of the sellout streak ending this season will not happen. That’s bold. Most people just say it’s coming or right around the corner, as they’re making a big public display of how displeased they are but you put a date on it. We’ll see.

Ive had 4 season tickets since 1970- so a bit more data than you. I see the people around me- not renuing and more and more open seats around me every year. My kids sell concessions and come up to sit in the 4th quarter- years ago there wasn't any room for them to sit- now there are open seats EVERYWHERE. 

On occasion I will have to dump tickets and it has gotten NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to unload said tickets for even a tiny fraction of the cost of the tickets. I dont even bother anymore- there are literally hundreds of tickets for sale out front for far less than face value nearly every game. I just accept the additional room and dont bother with it. That wasnt the case 20 years ago, 10 years ago and even 5 years ago. It is today. 

As to the streak- as you know first time ever they are selling ticket packages like Iowa State used to do when they couldn't draw. It's over- time to stop the bleeding and make the stadium into something significantly more fan friendly or fall further behind. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Ive had 4 season tickets since 1970- so a bit more data than you. I see the people around me- not renuing and more and more open seats around me every year. My kids sell concessions and come up to sit in the 4th quarter- years ago there wasn't any room for them to sit- now there are open seats EVERYWHERE. 

On occasion I will have to dump tickets and it has gotten NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE to unload said tickets for even a tiny fraction of the cost of the tickets. I dont even bother anymore- there are literally hundreds of tickets for sale out front for far less than face value nearly every game. I just accept the additional room and dont bother with it. That wasnt the case 20 years ago, 10 years ago and even 5 years ago. It is today. 

As to the streak- as you know first time ever they are selling ticket packages like Iowa State used to do when they couldn't draw. It's over- time to stop the bleeding and make the stadium into something significantly more fan friendly or fall further behind. 

More data or no, you just confirmed my point. You should know better than most that the season ticket holder is not the only important party that needs to be satisfied.  Season holders will keep their tickets until getting rid of individual games becomes too difficult or costly. That point is subjective depending upon each individual ticket holders situation.  Saying they are the only ones who should have a voice in what happens or the only ones that need to be pleased is just self important blather. Unfortunately I do not live close enough to Lincoln to where I can attend more games….but I can go to any game I want to, so there really is no difference between a season ticket holder or any person in the country. As I originally said, pent up demand behind the season holders is just as important if not moreso.

Also, I would imagine it’s pretty natural for people to start tapering off their in person attendance as they get older. 20-30-40 yo sure, get out there and enjoy the gameday experience. But 50 plus, maybe choose to spend some of those overly hot or bitterly cold days in the comfort of your home. Maybe the only thing that is really changing is individual’s tolerance for continuing to go to the games. New people/fans are born every day.

• Plus1 1

Data does matter- and your one year of it means very little compared to my 50.  Ive seen many of the same people in our section for 30-40-50 years. 

There used to be a VERY LONG LINE of people waiting for season tickets. Now that line doesn't exist AT ALL> you could have bought season tickets this year if you wanted to, they were there for the taking. 

That means demand has decreased AND more people than ever are letting their tickets lapse. Those are the facts, I see it with my own eyes.  As they say it's always less costly to retain your existing customers than try and go out and find new ones, especially when we aren't winning. Its just silly not to try to hold onto the loyal customer base - the demographic with the already proven disposable income- that has been spending it on NU football.  

NU football is judged by attendance. Attendance is all about the season ticket holders. A handful of tickets here or there doesn't move the needle- and they aren't going to sell out that way- its not sustainable. It always has been and always will be about the season tickets NU can count on. 

So it's OK to improve the wifi, student seating and TV screens, but somehow wanting to improve the seating, bathrooms and concessions is somehow wrong? You guys really crack me up. Were actually drowning in money- and youre acting like it's yours- and YOU DONT EVEN GO TO THE GAMES. :dunno

• Thanks 1
On 8/10/2021 at 3:17 PM, Frostberg said:

IDK my 16 year old cousin is a die hard fan. She's super excited to go to a huskers game with me this year and she has been to 1-3 games a year since she was 8 or so. All she wants for her birthday is husker gear or husker hounds gift cards. Can't speak about other kids but I don't see your bolded statement in my life. 

That's great.  I hope you guys enjoy the game(s) you attend this year.  

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2021 at 2:51 PM, Hilltop said:

Kids want to go to games.  I asked a group of 8 kids over the weekend if they would rather go tanking/camping over memorial day weekend or go to the game- none of them hesitated in choosing the game.  I'll be the guy tailgating on the steps of Hurts Donuts prior to the game with a pile of kids... It will be a blast.

I do think Covid may end the streak but I think fan support is still strong and will continue to be if we can get the ship turned around soon.     

Despite the greater disconnect that fans have today with this football program, I think fan support remains.  That is a real tribute to this fanbase (including the kids you spoke with).  That said, many of us no longer orient our Saturdays around kickoff.  In fact, it is difficult for me to remember the last time I watched a game from beginning to end.  Highlights, or conversely lowlights, are easier to stomach.  

Your last point is the key one; if we can get the ship turned around soon.  Getting folks excited about football in September (new season, a realm of possibilities, and good weather) is the easy part in a State like Nebraska.  Where things get difficult is when the weather turns bitter, the realities of the season set in (i.e. no bowl eligibility) and the losses (especially the margins in losses) begin to mount.  For this reason, I think the sellout streak could be in jeopardy.

On 8/11/2021 at 10:02 AM, Nebraska55fan said:

Data does matter- and your one year of it means very little compared to my 50.  Ive seen many of the same people in our section for 30-40-50 years. 

There used to be a VERY LONG LINE of people waiting for season tickets. Now that line doesn't exist AT ALL> you could have bought season tickets this year if you wanted to, they were there for the taking. 

That means demand has decreased AND more people than ever are letting their tickets lapse. Those are the facts, I see it with my own eyes.  As they say it's always less costly to retain your existing customers than try and go out and find new ones, especially when we aren't winning. Its just silly not to try to hold onto the loyal customer base - the demographic with the already proven disposable income- that has been spending it on NU football.  

NU football is judged by attendance. Attendance is all about the season ticket holders. A handful of tickets here or there doesn't move the needle- and they aren't going to sell out that way- its not sustainable. It always has been and always will be about the season tickets NU can count on. 

So it's OK to improve the wifi, student seating and TV screens, but somehow wanting to improve the seating, bathrooms and concessions is somehow wrong? You guys really crack me up. Were actually drowning in money- and youre acting like it's yours- and YOU DONT EVEN GO TO THE GAMES. :dunno

I replied to you in the shed. Go read it.

• Fire 1