OWH: Now Is the Time to Reconfigure Memorial Stadium

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

10 years ago it was like this in Omaha

""Okay, the game is at 2:30, can one of you get to the sports bar at like, 11:30 to grab a table?"

If you were not there 3-4 hours early, it was going to be a struggle to get a good spot and/or any table at all.  

It will be interesting to see what that is like this year.  

10 years ago I was working at the most popular watch site in Des Moines. What killed the watch site experience was the end of PPV. Those games were standing room only. Televised games were always hit and miss and always a smaller audience. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

10 years ago I was working at the most popular watch site in Des Moines. What killed the watch site experience was the end of PPV. Those games were standing room only. Televised games were always hit and miss and always a smaller audience. 

Naw man, what killed the watch site experience was:

- Getting rocked by a 5 loss Wisconsin team in the big10 champ

-giving up an ncaa record in rushing to said Wisconsin team in 3 quarters due to a basic jet sweep we couldn’t stop

- Getting rocked 62-3 by Ohio state when we’re ranked top 15

- losing to Iowa for what feels like a decade straight on the biggest game day of the year for Nebraska (Black Friday contest)

- losing inexcusably to the likes of Purdue, Illinois, and Minnesota in embarrassing fashion 

- not sniffing the top 25 to end the year for a decade now

- placing minima talent into the NFL, really no one of consequence as a skill position for close to a decade 

I could go on but my point is even if PPv was still a thing those watch sites would still be on the decline because fans simply won’t go out of their way to watch mediocrity. The product on the field has been so abysmal for a decade now, until that changes the concept of watch sites will continue to decline with the product 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Naw man, what killed the watch site experience was:

- Getting rocked by a 5 loss Wisconsin team in the big10 champ

-giving up an ncaa record in rushing to said Wisconsin team in 3 quarters due to a basic jet sweep we couldn’t stop

- Getting rocked 62-3 by Ohio state when we’re ranked top 15

- losing to Iowa for what feels like a decade straight on the biggest game day of the year for Nebraska (Black Friday contest)

- losing inexcusably to the likes of Purdue, Illinois, and Minnesota in embarrassing fashion 

- not sniffing the top 25 to end the year for a decade now

- placing minima talent into the NFL, really no one of consequence as a skill position for close to a decade 

I could go on but my point is even if PPv was still a thing those watch sites would still be on the decline because fans simply won’t go out of their way to watch mediocrity. The product on the field has been so abysmal for a decade now, until that changes the concept of watch sites will continue to decline with the product 

I strongly disagree and am pretty sure you’re wrong.

Certainly the on field product may have lost some viewers but not nearly as many as you claim. Switching from PPV games to readily available for anyone televised games is certainly what has made the biggest difference in watch site viewing.

There are plenty of fans in this for the long haul. I know this to be true as most of us on this board still schedule our fall Saturdays around Husker football. Yes it will continue to decline if the results do not improve but only full generation gaps has the possibility of turning it into Kansas football. Don’t assume your threshold  level is the same as others.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Certainly the on field product may have lost some viewers but not nearly as many as you claim. Switching from PPV games to readily available for anyone televised games is certainly what has made the biggest difference in watch site viewing.

There are plenty of fans in this for the long haul. I know this to be true as most of us on this board still schedule our fall Saturdays around Husker football. Yes it will continue to decline if the results do not improve but only full generation gaps has the possibility of turning it into Kansas football. Don’t assume your threshold  level is the same as others.

He has clearly never worked in bar, the PPV games were always the most packed. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

He has clearly never worked in bar, the PPV games were always the most packed. 

I’ve never been one to go to a watch site but I sure would have for PPV games if it was the only way. Luckily we've always had at least 3 or 4 households of Husker fans in our cul de sac in Colorado. We would take turns purchasing the PPV games. I’ve never really been tempted to go to a bar for a normally televised game. Drinks and eats are much cheaper at home and I can control the DVR, room temp etc.  That the on field product has declined at the same time as tv expansion and tech advances is only coincidental.

7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ve never been one to go to a watch site but I sure would have for PPV games if it was the only way. Luckily we've always had at least 3 or 4 households of Husker fans in our cul de sac in Colorado. We would take turns purchasing the PPV games. I’ve never really been tempted to go to a bar for a normally televised game. Drinks and eats are much cheaper at home and I can control the DVR, room temp etc.  That the on field product has declined at the same time as tv expansion and tech advances is only coincidental.

Whats more, the PPV watch site experience early in the season set game day schedules for later in the season. Think about it, you go to a watch site for PPV in September have a great time hanging with fellow Husker fans, you're more likely to go back to said establishment for the next game even if its not PPV the following week.

Now you throw first  game of the year on at home 5 minutes before it starts crack a beer and watch it on your couch, you've reset your GameDay routine and expectations basically for the whole season. Now your less likely to go out for any game.

21 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Whats more, the PPV watch site experience early in the season set game day schedules for later in the season. Think about it, you go to a watch site for PPV in September have a great time hanging with fellow Husker fans, you're more likely to go back to said establishment for the next game even if its not PPV the following week.

Now you throw first  game of the year on at home 5 minutes before it starts crack a beer and watch it on your couch, you've reset your GameDay routine and expectations basically for the whole season. Now your less likely to go out for any game.

I’m definitely paragraph number 2…..except I usually start much earlier than 5 minutes before kickoff with Bloody Mary’s. In fact, my Bloody Mary’s are the primary reason I don’t mind 10/11AM games :lol:

• Plus1 1

Put a glass dome over the entire stadium:

Untitled.png

Install these seats (in scarlet and cream of course with the N on the back where the eagle is):

download.jpg

And Husker fans would gladly pay 30% more per ticket!  Everyone wins! 

The fact that they have not changed the seating in the stadium since it was built is just sad. Unless someone does not show up in your row, you will be squished in like sardines in a row and even if you buy or bring a stadium cushioned seat, your a** will be flat as a brick, numb and in extreme pain by the time the game ends. 

23 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Was that still the bar on Urbandale Ave?  Can't remember the name.

On 8/8/2021 at 10:23 AM, Born N Bled Red said:

The Chicken Coop in West Des Moines by HyVee? 

23 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

lol, can you honestly tell me the last time games were on ppv only?  Feel like we're talking 2005 here.... I'd argue (outside of the quality of the product on the field) the advancement and cheapness in TVs played a much bigger role in the decline of watch sites.  We used to go to various bars that were husker bars all the time growing up to meet up with family friends, that shifted to just going to someones home due to way better tv quality, better food and drinks if you're with the right people.  The above coupled with the fact that we don't really have any big games anymore because we suck a$$ gives me literally no reason to go to a watch site for close to 10 years now.

i guarantee you if this team gets back to a consistent top 15 top 20 year in and year out you're going to see a positive increase in traffic to watch sites.  The vast majority of fans are casual fans at best and dont follow the team on a daily basis... you're delusional if you think the migration away from PPV, that started occurring close to 20 years ago plays a bigger role in watch site decline than the fact that our program has been the epitome of mediocrity for 10 years now

3 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

lol, can you honestly tell me the last time games were on ppv only?  Feel like we're talking 2005 here.... I'd argue (outside of the quality of the product on the field) the advancement and cheapness in TVs played a much bigger role in the decline of watch sites.  We used to go to various bars that were husker bars all the time growing up to meet up with family friends, that shifted to just going to someones home due to way better tv quality, better food and drinks if you're with the right people.  The above coupled with the fact that we don't really have any big games anymore because we suck a$$ gives me literally no reason to go to a watch site for close to 10 years now.

i guarantee you if this team gets back to a consistent top 15 top 20 year in and year out you're going to see a positive increase in traffic to watch sites.  The vast majority of fans are casual fans at best and dont follow the team on a daily basis... you're delusional if you think the migration away from PPV, that started occurring close to 20 years ago plays a bigger role in watch site decline than the fact that our program has been the epitome of mediocrity for 10 years now

3-5 games annually were on PPV up until Nebraska joined the BIG in 2012. Sorry man, this must have been a long 9 years for you for that to feel like 20 years ago. Hope life is good now. :)

• Plus1 2