2021 Season Notes

Sadly, had we not laid 3 eggs against rutgers we'd be a regional host and ranked likely in the top 12 somewhere but that's behind us and the boys have come to play each weekend since. Win the Michigan series and there remains a chance of being a 1 seed in a remote city. Gotta keep the faith and ride the wave. GBR!!!!

44 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Sadly, had we not laid 3 eggs against rutgers we'd be a regional host and ranked likely in the top 12 somewhere but that's behind us and the boys have come to play each weekend since. Win the Michigan series and there remains a chance of being a 1 seed in a remote city. Gotta keep the faith and ride the wave. GBR!!!!

I keep seeing this in numerous posts, and yes that series really sucked.  However, it's a long season, with a lot of young players, so it's going to have ups and downs.  Maybe that series helped the team get re-focused and has driven the team to win 8 of their last 9 games.

Bolt has this team ahead of schedule in terms of being one of the top teams in the conference.  The next step is to be competitive on a national level.  That may happen this year, it may take another year or two.  So, take you own advice and enjoy the ride.

• Plus1 2

41 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I keep seeing this in numerous posts, and yes that series really sucked.  However, it's a long season, with a lot of young players, so it's going to have ups and downs.  Maybe that series helped the team get re-focused and has driven the team to win 8 of their last 9 games.

Bolt has this team ahead of schedule in terms of being one of the top teams in the conference.  The next step is to be competitive on a national level.  That may happen this year, it may take another year or two.  So, take you own advice and enjoy the ride.

Oh, I am believe me I am. I'm enjoying it to the last pitch of the season wherever that is. I also believe that weekend egg did in fact create a re-focused and I think the 2 game sweep of Rutgers on the road was the evidence. I also think we are peaking at the right time. I'm extremely excited for the post season and drinking all the koolaid I can.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What sucks is in a normal season we're probably on the hosting bubble right now. Being a 1seed somewhere else would be sooo bitter sweet. What an accomplishment and boon for the city of Lincoln it would be to host a regional (and we would be completely capable of doing so, even on "short notice"). But the NCAA decided they needed to announce hosts weeks before the end of the season. Makes about as much sense as naming CFB playoff teams with 2 weeks to go. Like what an odd thing for Nebraska to be a 1 seed and capable of hosting Charlotte or Gonzaga in Lincoln - but having to go to Spokane or Charlotte because those teams had a better resume 75% through the season. Yes I'm gonna continue ranting about this. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

What sucks is in a normal season we're probably on the hosting bubble right now. Being a 1seed somewhere else would be sooo bitter sweet. What an accomplishment and boon for the city of Lincoln it would be to host a regional (and we would be completely capable of doing so, even on "short notice"). But the NCAA decided they needed to announce hosts weeks before the end of the season. Makes about as much sense as naming CFB playoff teams with 2 weeks to go. Like what an odd thing for Nebraska to be a 1 seed and capable of hosting Charlotte or Gonzaga in Lincoln - but having to go to Spokane or Charlotte because those teams had a better resume 75% through the season. Yes I'm gonna continue ranting about this. 

From what I understand the NCAA needed to let the potential host cities known in advance so those cities/universities could get the necessary COVID testing and protocols set up.  That requires some time.  I know it's popular to bash the NCAA and think that this is penalizing Nebraska again, but it's an odd year, so I will give them some benefit of doubt.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

A fun fact from an OWH article.

Ultimately, NU separated itself from other Big Ten contenders by beating them head to head. While the Huskers were 18-6 against the bottom seven teams in the standings, everyone largely feasted on those struggling squads — Indiana was 21-4 against them, Michigan was 17-9 and Maryland was 17-7. But facing the other top five teams, NU has gone 11-5 while Indiana (5-11), Michigan (9-6) and Maryland (9-8) couldn’t keep pace.

• Plus1 2