The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election

Pick your Candidate  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I've said for a long time that the biggest problem with our political system is the primary system.  We need regional primaries.  Start them beginning of May.  Have them done by end June.  Candidates then have 4 months to campaign for the general election in November.  With media and technology nowadays, they don't need more than that.

How can you have Iowa that is, supposedly, so important....then Nebraska right across the river and ours are absolutely meaningless?

You have won me over!  

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Let’s hope this trend continues. 

We can only hope.  

This is my take of the after-caucus speeches given by the candidates:

Trump: Incoherent 5 grade word salad.  All over the place.  He has as much discipline with his mouth as a cat would staying still in a room full of poisonous mice.

DeSantis:  He's trying all so hard to to break out of the Cult but is finding it difficult to do so.  He may have come in 2nd but his chances are slim to none elsewhere. After hearing Trump, I've realized that DeSantis, even with his bobble head speaking style and regardless of content, is so much  better at speaking coherently in front of a crowd.

Nikki:  Got to give her this: She is an optimist who sees the glass half full.  She came out all smiles and pumped up - showed the most energy of the candidates. She was bold, if not a bit premature, in stating that, as a 3rd place finisher in Iowa, the race is now clearly a 2 person race between her and Trump. I understand why she said it - the polling in the other states show her well ahead of DeSantis and she can from far behind to pull just short of even with DeSantis -  who outspent her and who spent more time in Iowa than she did.  

VR:  Sounded like the trump want-to-be that he is. Dropped out to support Trump.  Glad to not to have to hear his obnoxious voice and attitude in future debates. 

Today, Trump gets to go to court in his libel/defamation suit.  Another pail of sh$t rightfully poured on his reputation that his cult members will ignore.  Haley in the meantime goes to NH and tries to close the deal there.  My candidate, Chris Christie, is out  - so anyone who can beat Trump in the primaries is who I am for.  My wife leans to DeSantis - I lean towards Haley at this point.  Both have major flaws - esp as it pertains to Trump and giving him a pardon.  We were watching Script News as the returns came in and most commentators stated that while Trump may win the nomination, he will have a very difficult time winning the GC as there aren't many new voters breaking his way.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news/nikki-haley-finishes-third-in-iowa-caucuses/vi-AA1n2nk1?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=374711f676e548f590c7515191c45966&ei=13

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

We can only hope.  

This is my take of the after-caucus speeches given by the candidates:

Trump: Incoherent 5 grade word salad.  All over the place.  He has as much discipline with his mouth as a cat would staying still in a room full of poisonous mice.

DeSantis:  He's trying all so hard to to break out of the Cult but is finding it difficult to do so.  He may have come in 2nd but his chances are slim to none elsewhere. After hearing Trump, I've realized that DeSantis, even with his bobble head speaking style and regardless of content, is so much  better at speaking coherently in front of a crowd.

Nikki:  Got to give her this: She is an optimist who sees the glass half full.  She came out all smiles and pumped up - showed the most energy of the candidates. She was bold, if not a bit premature, in stating that, as a 3rd place finisher in Iowa, the race is now clearly a 2 person race between her and Trump. I understand why she said it - the polling in the other states show her well ahead of DeSantis and she can from far behind to pull just short of even with DeSantis -  who outspent her and who spent more time in Iowa than she did.  

VR:  Sounded like the trump want-to-be that he is. Dropped out to support Trump.  Glad to not to have to hear his obnoxious voice and attitude in future debates. 

Today, Trump gets to go to court in his libel/defamation suit.  Another pail of sh$t rightfully poured on his reputation that his cult members will ignore.  Haley in the meantime goes to NH and tries to close the deal there.  My candidate, Chris Christie, is out  - so anyone who can beat Trump in the primaries is who I am for.  My wife leans to DeSantis - I lean towards Haley at this point.  Both have major flaws - esp as it pertains to Trump and giving him a pardon.  We were watching Script News as the returns came in and most commentators stated that while Trump may win the nomination, he will have a very difficult time winning the GC as there aren't many new voters breaking his way.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news/nikki-haley-finishes-third-in-iowa-caucuses/vi-AA1n2nk1?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=DCTS&cvid=374711f676e548f590c7515191c45966&ei=13

If I absolutely had to vote for one of these, it would have to be Haley.  But, I would puke after doing it.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If I absolutely had to vote for one of these, it would have to be Haley.  But, I would puke after doing it.

Certainly understand that sentiment.     When it comes to the GE, there will be other opportunities.  In the primaries  - now just limited to the 3.  I guess a person can write in someone as well.   I may still do that - I can't remember if Okla allows write ins or not during the primary.  Since OK doesn't allow independent voters to vote in the primary, I kept my GOP registration just so I can have a say someplace.  But I haven't voted for the GOP nominee since Romney.  Very good chance that will continue this time around. 

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Or...that little thing called slavery. Oh...forgot, it was just a job training program.

Good grief.   How can you be in  this much denial.  Regardless of her clarifying statements afterwards, this will be a sound bit the Dems will repeat time and time again if she makes it to the GE.   It is OK to acknowledge our history - "yes we have been and still have issues with racism but we are working to improve".  It isn't that hard to say.  This on top of her 'slavery' non-answer previously shows she is choosing to ignore the obvious to create a positive spin and image.  

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Good grief.   How can you be in  this much denial.  Regardless of her clarifying statements afterwards, this will be a sound bit the Dems will repeat time and time again if she makes it to the GE.   It is OK to acknowledge our history - "yes we have been and still have issues with racism but we are working to improve".  It isn't that hard to say.  This on top of her 'slavery' non-answer previously shows she is choosing to ignore the obvious to create a positive spin and image.  

It's playing to her base.  It's full of people who think that if you acknowledge our past, like you suggest, you hate 'merica.  I know someone specifically like that.  He flat out admits he doesn't know one person who is racist and never has.  He's one of the biggest MAGA people I know.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Crusader Husker said:

I hate political season!

How about we all do primaries.  Do 10 states a Tuesday and run it for 5 weeks starting in February.  

I guess I could live with 1 Tuesday all 50, but whatever.  

Going to be Trump-Biden again baring a sudden death.

3rd party it is again....

I would agree with this.  Why does the process need to take 4 months or so of voting. B

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Please explain.

As a millennial at least Jeb gave us memes. Who can forget “please clap” or him trying to put on a hoodie.

She contributes none of that. Best we’ve gotten is some crappy radio ads that sound like they were recorded thru a Wendy’s drive through speaker.

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Please explain.

Her immigration stance is no bueno,

She is more of a globalist than I prefer

She doesn’t  seem to have the stomach to fight the hard fights it will take to get good policy passed once the media and Dems start their disinformation campaigns against it.   She is a go along to get along politician in too many instances.  

All my opinion of course ^^^^ She is still probably better than The Big Guy second term, better than a Trump 2024 term, much much worse than a DeSantis term.  Unfortunately the GOP voters are being clueless, personality voters at this point.   They have decided “their side/their guy” is being tested unfairly and are now doing what children do and stomp their feet while digging in further and further.  

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Her immigration stance is no bueno,

She is more of a globalist than I prefer

She doesn’t  seem to have the stomach to fight the hard fights it will take to get good policy passed once the media and Dems start their disinformation campaigns against it.   She is a go along to get along politician in too many instances.  

All my opinion of course ^^^^ She is still probably better than The Big Guy second term, better than a Trump 2024 term, much much worse than a DeSantis term.  Unfortunately the GOP voters are being clueless, personality voters at this point.   They have decided “their side/their guy” is being tested unfairly and are now doing what children do and stomp their feet while digging in further and further.  

Once in office and no longer campaigning, what real-world actions you envision Ron DeSantis doing differently than Nikki Haley? Or Trump, for that matter? 

Also, I know "globalist" gets thrown around as a pejorative, but I'd like to see a cheat sheet of the international military, political and economic/trade engagements a good GOP candidate would jettison once in office, and how that might play out. It's not a trick question: Pretty much every American wonders about our priorities, and our core commitments tend to remain unchanged regardless of the party in power. 

• TGHusker changed the title to The 2024 Presidential Election- The LONG General Election