Illinois Week Pressers

seaofred92

For people (me included) looking for reasons why they aren't playing Betts/Fleming/Borwn/Scott/Thompkins more, Frost gave a litany of reasons specifically from the Penn State game. Said we blocked the wrong guys several times, weren't in the right spots on a few passes, and the RB missed a third down block late in the game. 

On the flip side obviously Betts had the huge play and Scott had an excellent block on it. But as much as I want to believe it, it's not just theoretical "we're not sure they'll be doing the right thing." They are not consistent when they're on the field, in ways that I sure can't pick out without it being pointed out. They're getting experience, but it is at times legitimately costing us. The coaches have to balance the cost versus what they are doing to help us, and can't really factor in how much we as fans want to see them.

• Plus1 4

4 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

For people (me included) looking for reasons why they aren't playing Betts/Fleming/Borwn/Scott/Thompkins more, Frost gave a litany of reasons specifically from the Penn State game. Said we blocked the wrong guys several times, weren't in the right spots on a few passes, and the RB missed a third down block late in the game. 

On the flip side obviously Betts had the huge play and Scott had an excellent block on it. But as much as I want to believe it, it's not just theoretical "we're not sure they'll be doing the right thing." They are not consistent when they're on the field, in ways that I sure can't pick out without it being pointed out. They're getting experience, but it is at times legitimately costing us. The coaches have to balance the cost versus what they are doing to help us, and can't really factor in how much we as fans want to see them.

At some point this becomes a coaching problem.  Either the day to day practice or the kids you recruit.

• Plus1 4
2 minutes ago, Crusader Husker said:

At some point this becomes a coaching problem.  Either the day to day practice or the kids you recruit.

At some point, sure. Game 3 of a kid's college career maybe not yet. Once we're not relying on guys with no experience for all of our explosiveness, it'll be a lot easier to tolerate the mistakes from young players.

• Plus1 4
25 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

And...this is why I roll my eyes when fans just say..."play the most talented kid"  Throw him out there and let him make plays.

The kid has to understand the plays and play within the system.  It doesn't matter how talented the are....they still have to be able to play within the team.

Now....I can't disagree with @Crusader Husker too much.  It's up to the coaches to drill these plays into them.  But, I will say this.  That's easier done when you have one or two freshmen on the field around upper class men than when you trot out there a team with very little upper class man leadership.

• Plus1 3