How is your Family approaching Thanksgiving in 2020?

What is your family doing for Thanksgiving in 2020?  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

They will only have enough for first responders, medical staff, the nursing home elderly to begin with. What I understand, it won't be available to the general population until March/April. 

Thanks for the update. I was hoping with two viable options, each ready with 10-20 million doses to start, that it would be more readily available. 

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

They will only have enough for first responders, medical staff, the nursing home elderly to begin with. What I understand, it won't be available to the general population until March/April. 

I agree that this is how it should be done.  The second wave should go to the education system such as teachers, professors, students.  Yes, students even though they are the least likely to have major health problems from getting it.  They can and do spread it a ton.

The last wave should be people like me who are not in any of these situations.  However, I do travel quite a bit (flying) so maybe someone with a job like mine should have it before someone who never leaves their social circle.  

The part of the first group to get it that concerns me is the elderly.  Yes, they should get it.  But, these were rushed through testing.  If there's any group that is going to have problems from actually getting the vaccine, I would think it would be them.  I would hate to have a major health problem go through this group of people simply because they got a vaccine that was rushed.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
55 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Hopefully, one of the two vaccines will be available around Christmas so you won't have to cancel. 

That would be nice, but even as a teacher, I'm most certainly not in the first group that would be administered the vaccine. 

College daughter staying on the East Coast, but coming back for a month around Christmas. She plans to have a small Thanksgiving with her cousin in Boston --- but "small" still means mixing a couple people from different cohorts. I guess we still rationalize our risk factors as needed.

So it's just me, the wife and the teenage boy for Thanksgiving dinner here. With fewer mouths to feed we might try duck instead of turkey. My wife doesn't get along with her brother, the only family within a thousand miles, so COVID has us covered on that invite. We hope to have dessert outside with the people on our street. They're great folks. We're thankful for our neighborhood.

My 84 year old mother-in-law will be having Thanksgiving dinner with at least a dozen members of her retirement community in Florida. They are all rabid Trump supporters and COVID deniers and have no intention of wearing a mask for any of it.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Just going to be me, the wife and the kids. It sucks, but it has to be done; I'm already dreading the decision to cancel Christmas. 

Typical lefty...trying to cancel christmas!  CHRIST IS BORN!

Hahaha

No but seriously this will be the first time in my life that I won't be going home for Xmas.  

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I'd be lying if I said I was not genuinely concerned about it and for that very reason.

My mother-in-law had had a small function planned this past weekend because of family being in town (had it planned for months and didn't want to cancel). It was at one of those larger spaces, supposed to be spread out i.e. a table between everyone.

By the time we got there, there were about 25 people there mingling and there were no masks. My wife and I kept our masks on, stayed about 10 minutes in the entry way by the door, and then left.

One guess which presidential candidate this side of the family voted for.

Yeah and I get it and I really it would be how I would do it, I know I would end up not distancing and not having a mask on all the time and stuff like that.  

6 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

That would be nice, but even as a teacher, I'm most certainly not in the first group that would be administered the vaccine. 

I wouldn't want to be. In the unlikelihood that I ever get the vaccine, it'll be long after it's made it's rounds through the public proving it's safety.

• Haha 2