What is the future of the Republican Party?

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Okay...so we agree it is a book depicting sexual harassment.  

In a comic book about Anne Frank.  And then you want teachers to use that as a teaching moment to discuss with 8th graders if it is sexual harassment or not.  Again, seems like a lot to toss on the teacher.

I did not say it was sexual harassment, I said it could be a form of sexual harassment, but not on its own, would be dependent on other factors. God damn.

The panels shown in the image, on their own, if it happened in real life, would not be sexual harassment or sexual assault, either by the letter of the law or in any practical matter. Girl A asks Girl B if they want to show each other their breasts. Girl B says "absolutely not". If that is the end of the conversation, it is an awkward moment and nothing more. If Girl A continually pressed the issue despite the verbal rejection, if there was unwanted touching, if there was additional unwelcome conduct, it might be a different matter. 

What I suggested might be a teachable moment is discussing whether or not this was an appropriate interaction. It also doesn't have to be the focus of the lesson plan at all (and probably shouldn't be). But Anne Frank's diary is all about the thoughts and feelings of a teenage girl in hiding, which (gasp!) includes thoughts of sexuality. I don't know all of what is included in the comic version, but the original book is called "Diary of a Young Girl," not "Anne Frank: Nazi Hunter."

I have a child in middle school right now reading "the Outsiders." There is a part of the book (and in the movie, which they will also watch in class) when one character harasses a girl at the movies. Is that a lot to toss on the teacher to discuss? Or might that make an interesting conversation in class? Kids are in gangs, stabbing each other, smoking cigarettes, dying. What's the point of reading the book if not to discuss some of these awkward themes? 

A good teacher is going to be well-suited to talk about these things and have conversations in an age-appropriate way.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

15 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I did not say it was sexual harassment, I said it could be a form of sexual harassment, but not on its own, would be dependent on other factors. God damn.

The panels shown in the image, on their own, if it happened in real life, would not be sexual harassment or sexual assault, either by the letter of the law or in any practical matter. Girl A asks Girl B if they want to show each other their breasts. Girl B says "absolutely not". If that is the end of the conversation, it is an awkward moment and nothing more. If Girl A continually pressed the issue despite the verbal rejection, if there was unwanted touching, if there was additional unwelcome conduct, it might be a different matter. 

What I suggested might be a teachable moment is discussing whether or not this was an appropriate interaction. It also doesn't have to be the focus of the lesson plan at all (and probably shouldn't be). But Anne Frank's diary is all about the thoughts and feelings of a teenage girl in hiding, which (gasp!) includes thoughts of sexuality. I don't know all of what is included in the comic version, but the original book is called "Diary of a Young Girl," not "Anne Frank: Nazi Hunter."

I have a child in middle school right now reading "the Outsiders." There is a part of the book (and in the movie, which they will also watch in class) when one character harasses a girl at the movies. Is that a lot to toss on the teacher to discuss? Or might that make an interesting conversation in class? Kids are in gangs, stabbing each other, smoking cigarettes, dying. What's the point of reading the book if not to discuss some of these awkward themes? 

A good teacher is going to be well-suited to talk about these things and have conversations in an age-appropriate way.

I taught The Outsiders and you are referring to Dally bothering Cherry.  I see similarities but as someone who has shown this movie in class, probably 20 times now, most students do not even get the reference.  Clearly the Anne Frank one is easy to understand.

I have NEVER once, in all my years of teaching that book/movie, stopped it and said "No class, see here, when Dally says "How can I find out if that it your real hair color, like, how can I find out if it matches, your your...eyebrows...WHAT HE REALLY MEANS is...do the curtains match the drapes.  Okay, class, everyone take out some paper and write down 3 things that is wrong with his approach"

Great movie by the way!

• TBH 1
6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I taught The Outsiders and you are referring to Dally bothering Cherry.  I see similarities but as someone who has shown this movie in class, probably 20 times now, most students do not even get the reference.  Clearly the Anne Frank one is easy to understand.

I have NEVER once, in all my years of teaching that book/movie, stopped it and said "No class, see here, when Dally says "How can I find out if that it your real hair color, like, how can I find out if it matches, your your...eyebrows...WHAT HE REALLY MEANS is...do the curtains match the drapes.  Okay, class, everyone take out some paper and write down 3 things that is wrong with his approach"

A wise man once told me I was out of my element.  I will refer you back to that statement :)

Interesting - The Outsiders was filmed here in Tulsa.  The drive in theater in the film burnt down a few years ago and through the help of many they rebuilt it since it has had an iconic reputation in Tulsa - still is open today.  I think I've seen 2 movies there. The main house used in the story is now a Outsider's museum.  And I've never watched the movie.  

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

A wise man once told me I was out of my element.  I will refer you back to that statement :)

Fair enough. I love the movie and the book, by the way.

And different teachers teach it in different ways. Suppose there was a discussion after every chapter. Dally's relationship with Cherry is not the main theme of the book, but it is one of the smaller themes. A discussion about this particular scene would not be unreasonable if a teacher thought it was important, or if a student had a question about it, it might generate discussion. Or we could all move on because there are more important things happening. It's all fair, and perfectly appropriate for the teacher to make the decision re: how to handle it. 

In the controversy around this Anne Frank book, do we know how much the teacher focused on that particular page about the menstruation and the breasts? Or did a snowflake parent see it and decide to raise hell based on this one page out of context? You and I would probably both agree that if the teacher planned a whole lesson around that page, it was probably not the most appropriate use of class time (although not worthy of a firing or banning). 

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Interesting - The Outsiders was filmed here in Tulsa.  The drive in theater in the film burnt down a few years ago and through the help of many they rebuilt it since it has had an iconic reputation in Tulsa - still is open today.  I think I've seen 2 movies there. The main house used in the story is now a Outsider's museum.  And I've never watched the movie.  

I have students that LOVE it so much they have gone to the house/museum.

The movie is great, amazing cast.  The book is probably my favorite book of all time, because I read at an 8th grade level.  

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

Fair enough. I love the movie and the book, by the way.

And different teachers teach it in different ways. Suppose there was a discussion after every chapter. Dally's relationship with Cherry is not the main theme of the book, but it is one of the smaller themes. A discussion about this particular scene would not be unreasonable if a teacher thought it was important, or if a student had a question about it, it might generate discussion. Or we could all move on because there are more important things happening. It's all fair, and perfectly appropriate for the teacher to make the decision re: how to handle it. 

In the controversy around this Anne Frank book, do we know how much the teacher focused on that particular page about the menstruation and the breasts? Or did a snowflake parent see it and decide to raise hell based on this one page out of context? You and I would probably both agree that if the teacher planned a whole lesson around that page, it was probably not the most appropriate use of class time (although not worthy of a firing or banning). 

Dude, who knows about what the parents did/will freak out about.  They can get CRAZY!  Especially at that grade level.

And yeah, I agree, a lesson planned totally around that page is crazy and I agree it worthy to get canned and I am totally against banning books.  I think that teacher was trying to F around a little bit?  Just a guess, and most my guesses are wrong, so who knows.

That was then, this is now...that is sort of a continuation of the Outsiders, but not really, it is a good read too!

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

8th grade? You should read about Anne Frank!

Hahaha!  Oh my god!

Is there is picture book I can look at instead?!?!

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Dude, who knows about what the parents did/will freak out about.  They can get CRAZY!

We'll agree on that. Dealing with other kids' parents is the worst.

All right everyone, if this conversation has run its course...stay gold.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Ulty said:

damn delinquents with their cigarettes

Yes!!    :laughpound    Actually  - probably was delinquents:

Written in 2020:

It's been 10 years since an iconic Tulsa staple caught fire. Tulsa firefighters say someone trying to steal copper wire sparked the fire at Admiral Twin Drive-In on September 3, 2010. Firefighters who first arrived at the fire say they remember embers being as big as charcoal briquets.S

Storey and pictures of the fire here: 

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/history/throwback-tulsa-historic-admiral-twin-drive-ins-reopens-after-fire-11-years-ago-today/collection_6e7adabe-c878-56ea-8efa-d7961b27e111.html#1

image.png

image.png

image.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Who wrote the poem, for 1000 huskerboard points.

Too easy, I'll let someone else answer. 

I used to work at a school where the same poet once said something over 100 years ago about the campus being beautiful, and the school has been milking it as a marketing slogan ever since then.

• Thanks 1