Rutgers Week Pressers

Mavric

1 hour ago, captain_sasquatch said:

I think it's worth noting that Sip and McKewon have been asking pretty good questions the last few pressers. I've seen complaints elsewhere that the local media is throwing Frost softballs but I feel like both Sip and McKewon have been pretty spot on with their questions.

Yeah. Somebody that isn't one of those two guys asked probably the hardest hitting question in the post-game presser after Minnesota (can't remember who it was exactly).

But the media guy asked "Hey coach, given that Minnesota's defense was giving up 7 yards per carry heading into this one, how did that impact how you game planned for this game?"

It was a great question, and the implication was dead obvious - but Frost pretended he didn't understand the question. He said something along the lines of "I don't really understand the question; we prepared for this game like we prepare for all other games."

The implication was obviously that we should have ran the ball down their throat. You can say that that would have been a bad idea - but it was funny that Frost dodged the question like that.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

All I hear is blah...blah...blah...real results are on the field. Until we see some real effort to execute well without the undisciplined play, all this is just talk...no action.

I understand where you are coming from but...  Why bother watching the pressers or coming on here to post if you already have your mind made up?  

• Plus1 6

On 12/14/2020 at 12:37 PM, Jason Sitoke said:

Hmmm..I wonder which position comes to mind as Husker fans read that last one. 

For Minnesota it was a different player every play.

• Frist drive obviously a bad pass on 1st down from AM
  • 2nd & 19 Allen can't seal the edge and the DE makes the tackle. We make that block and Wan'Dale makes the LB miss it's going for 10+
  • Which changes how Minny plays our (probably scripted) 3rd & 19 swing pass. This should have been changed at the line. No reason to run this play with LBs and CBs 8 to 10 yards off the LOS.
  • Our tackles we're shakey in the first and second half at various times. Getting beat off the edge or not finishing out blocks
  • Some kind of brain fart happen on the 2nd down right before the missed field goal in the 3rd quarter. Left tackle and gaurd ran into Cam as he pulled left. ***After rewatching it Cam pulls the wrong way. It's our basic outside zone play that we run out of all kinds of formations. Center usually pulls with the strong side tackle. Cam goes the right way picks up the MLB and Mills meets the safety inside the 5 yard line
  • There was a fly sweep in the 3rd I think where Mills just needed a little better chip to help the RT and it would have sprung Robinson. Hard to fault him because he had to get to the second level for his assignment.
  • 3rd quarter 2nd & 4 at about 4:10. Wan'Dale gets the ball on Jet Sweep Read. TE needs to actually chip the DE (not pat him) to help the strong side tackle. Tackle can't get his head around the DE to seal which causes Mills to collide with them and miss his block on the closing MLB who makes the tackle. We make those 2 blocks and Wan'Dale meets a Safety at the frist down marker.
  • We are not a good zone blocking team and a zone scheme does not play to Mills's strength. He's good at hitting the hole hard, not sitting back and letting the blocks develop. That said we call zone schemes as our bread and butter...
  • After a good first half, Martinez just missed a couple throws in the second half that would have changed the game

It really is just little things every drive that would make huge differences.

**Edit** adding some more as I rewatch.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
13 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Agree 100%.  With an emphasis on “every drive “.  That’s coaching and I hope HCSF realizes that and comes up with a plan to fix it ASAP.  

Yes and no. A lot of this stuff is basic things you learn at the high school level. Some is technique. Some is just plain boneheaded.

19 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Yes and no. A lot of this stuff is basic things you learn at the high school level. Some is technique. Some is just plain boneheaded.

Good stuff. Seemed like a lot of plays we had blockers out in front and just flat out failed to either hit or sustain the blocks. It never felt like we were getting stonewalled, just a poor block or a poor cut into a mediocre block. And then yeah, those throws.. they were there for the taking.

15 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Isn’t it the coaches job to make sure this doesn’t happen?

I always look at Iowa.   Why do they make few mistakes?  Do they have a simpler scheme?  Maybe.  Smarter players?  No.  

Somehow their coaches get what they want done across to their players better than most any other staff.  
Do they practice better?  Teach it better?

Just now, Decoy73 said:

Isn’t it the coaches job to make sure this doesn’t happen?

I always look at Iowa.   Why do they make few mistakes?  Do they have a simpler scheme?  Maybe.  Smarter players?  No.  

Somehow their coaches get what they want done across to their players better than most any other staff.  
Do they practice better?  Teach it better?

You talking offense or defense? For offense, it's simpler. And I wouldn't try and copy what they do, they're trending back up a bit this year but they've had a bad offense for quite some time. 

For defense, they've been doing what they do for a long time and don't start a lot of underclassmen. Parker is a heck of a DC. Consistency in your message is important, and they've had that for a long time.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

You talking offense or defense? For offense, it's simpler. And I wouldn't try and copy what they do, they're trending back up a bit this year but they've had a bad offense for quite some time. 

For defense, they've been doing what they do for a long time and don't start a lot of underclassmen. Parker is a heck of a DC. Consistency in your message is important, and they've had that for a long time.

I was referring to offense.  But really you could look at their D too.  It’s not that I  want to necessarily emulate their scheme, but rather their general lack of mistakes and penalties. 

5 hours ago, Hilltop said:

I understand where you are coming from but...  Why bother watching the pressers or coming on here to post if you already have your mind made up?  

Actually, I did not watch the pressers because they are always the same. I read the quoted portions that were posted, which validates my suspicion that they all say what we want to hear but no corrective action is taken. The results are on the field. If what they are saying is true that only 10 of 11 are executing then what actions are taken to correct this nonconformist. Why do we continue to see undisciplined and untimely penalties? Why do we consistently underperform against lesser opponents. That is the point I am trying to make. Just because I am not happy with the way my team is performing, does not mean that I hate my team and therefore I should never post my opinion. Wanting your team to improve and compete is what every fan wants. Some express their opinions with dissatisfaction while others with apathy. It is not my job to decide who should post and who should not. Every fan is entitled to their views. We don’t all have to agree, which is the beauty of life. 

Finally, I still hold hope that one day we will turn things around. This has to happen with actions and not words. Words are nice but they do not produce results.

Just now, huskerfan74 said:

Actually, I did not watch the pressers because they are always the same. I read the quoted portions that were posted, which validates my suspicion that they all say what we want to hear but no corrective action is taken. The results are on the field. If what they are saying is true that only 10 of 11 are executing then what actions are taken to correct this nonconformist. Why do we continue to see undisciplined and untimely penalties? Why do we consistently underperform against lesser opponents. That is the point I am trying to make. Just because I am not happy with the way my team is performing, does not mean that I hate my team and therefore I should never post my opinion. Wanting your team to improve and compete is what every fan wants. Some express their opinions with dissatisfaction while others with apathy. It is not my job to decide who should post and who should not. Every fan is entitled to their views. We don’t all have to agree, which is the beauty of life. 

Finally, I still hold hope that one day we will turn things around. This has to happen with actions and not words. Words are nice but they do not produce results.

So why bother reading them? They are mandatory pressers, and it is impossible to take corrective action in a presser. Unless you can get an invite to practice/meetings, you will never see what corrective actions are taken. Expecting to is crazy. 

• Plus1 2