Huskers 2021 Recruiting Class

Mavric

Followed this class pretty close. 
lost a couple/three guys we wanted and thought were in but scored pretty high on the “verbals” overall that ended up signing, great way to hang in and sign during Covid. 

overall I’m very pleased with what they got done during the bs lockdowns.  Hard to get kids to commit when they can’t experience what Lincoln has to offer as an experience v staying closer to home. 

Having said that, to get 13 early enrollees and a group that made right with themselves within their own circle speaks volumes. 

I feel like we got a lot larger on the OL and DL, key for B1G success. 

We got longer and taller on WR group,  possibly faster as well. 

got multiplayer on ILB/OLB

Obviously much better at TE

what I see as a huge positive is that the Staff understands where we are now and where we need new players over the next 1-3 yrs, directly correlated to who we signed. Got the 3 lineman we needed (huge humans), got the big bodies that can develop (DL), got more speed and size (WR), got multi players (OLB/ILB), got kids who are somewhat close to home (5 N kids among other Midwest players),  good walkon class who bleed Red. 

only thing we missed out on was a sure fire pass rusher. But that’s what everyone wants, and thats hard to get in any cycle. The Watts, Youngs, Wistroms, Clowney types are why they make $22M a year, cuz it’s hard and rare. 

overall I’m grading B to B-

I think we have a top 20 class? Correct if wrong. 

happy with it after  3 losing seasons in a row. Which I might add, listening to the players last couple classes, they came here to make something improve and turn it around. They want to be apart of the new beginning of making Cornhusker Nation great again. 

I think they did a great job, welcome all new signees to Cornhusker Nation! Can’t wait to follow and track your progression. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, I am I said:

Followed this class pretty close. 
lost a couple/three guys we wanted and thought were in but scored pretty high on the “verbals” overall that ended up signing, great way to hang in and sign during Covid. 

overall I’m very pleased with what they got done during the bs lockdowns.  Hard to get kids to commit when they can’t experience what Lincoln has to offer as an experience v staying closer to home. 

Having said that, to get 13 early enrollees and a group that made right with themselves within their own circle speaks volumes. 

I feel like we got a lot larger on the OL and DL, key for B1G success. 

We got longer and taller on WR group,  possibly faster as well. 

got multiplayer on ILB/OLB

Obviously much better at TE

what I see as a huge positive is that the Staff understands where we are now and where we need new players over the next 1-3 yrs, directly correlated to who we signed. Got the 3 lineman we needed (huge humans), got the big bodies that can develop (DL), got more speed and size (WR), got multi players (OLB/ILB), got kids who are somewhat close to home (5 N kids among other Midwest players),  good walkon class who bleed Red. 

only thing we missed out on was a sure fire pass rusher. But that’s what everyone wants, and thats hard to get in any cycle. The Watts, Youngs, Wistroms, Clowney types are why they make $22M a year, cuz it’s hard and rare. 

overall I’m grading B to B-

I think we have a top 20 class? Correct if wrong. 

happy with it after  3 losing seasons in a row. Which I might add, listening to the players last couple classes, they came here to make something improve and turn it around. They want to be apart of the new beginning of making Cornhusker Nation great again. 

I think they did a great job, welcome all new signees to Cornhusker Nation! Can’t wait to follow and track your progression. 

According to Scott, this is the group that "gets us over the top".  The one word that comes to my mind ... DELUSIONAL!  It is similar to the OL recruit [Matthew Anderson] a few years back who said we would win a Natty in a few years [how's that working out for you?]

This was a great class considering our incompetence to perform on the field, the continuance toward insanity and the Covid issue.

I'm tickled to get this class.  Now we get to see how many "mistakes we need to get cleaned up" to push us to that victory by a point [which seems to be the new goal].

I did not follow the signing this year.  First time for me.  

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

According to Scott, this is the group that "gets us over the top".  The one word that comes to my mind ... DELUSIONAL!  It is similar to the OL recruit [Matthew Anderson] a few years back who said we would win a Natty in a few years [how's that working out for you?]

This was a great class considering our incompetence to perform on the field, the continuance toward insanity and the Covid issue.

I'm tickled to get this class.  Now we get to see how many "mistakes we need to get cleaned up" to push us to that victory by a point [which seems to be the new goal].

I did not follow the signing this year.  First time for me.  

Its important to stock up talent for the next coaching staff,  these guys are getting fired after next season 

• Haha 2

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Ive never quite understood the obsession with size lately.

A baller is a baller.

Length allows Duvall to put size on the guys and not lose athletic ability.  When you recruit you want 6’4s or 4.4s.  Bama scan get both

At the wr position it allows us to match up better with the physical B1G cornerbacks on the perimeter.  

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

Ive never quite understood the obsession with size lately.

A baller is a baller.

The Big Ten is probably the biggest conference in terms of overall size of players making up the rosters. That size and physicality takes a toll on the roster over the course of a season. NU has needed more size to match up to that. We finally saw the defense matchup fairly well physically in 2020, and now the offense needs to match that.

18 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

I get the thought,  but it seems to be half way there.

Quick check off some of the best nfl players in the Superbowl:

Tyreek Hill 5'10

Shaq barrett 6'2

David 6'1

Honey badger 5'7

Devin white 6'0

Antonio brown 5'10

Scotty miller 5'9

Both tb safties under 5'10

Im stopping here just not list them all,  but it seems a large chunk of rosters for the super bowl dont fit the prototypical height/weight. I know this is kindof cherry picking but those are a lot of the best players starting tomorrow.

With the amount of passing done in the NFL, it’s really more of a speed game than a size game. That’s not how it works in the Big Ten. Also, the guys you are pointing out at in the NFL because of their speed.  You are totally cherry picking guys to make your point. 

• Plus1 4