Economy

7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know that.  This isn’t necessarily a bad thing. We live in a society where women CAN have a career. 

Oh, I didn't mean to make it sound like it's good or bad. I personally think it's good.

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There were 2.5 billion people on Earth in 1950. There are 7.8 billion people on the Earth today.

I realize the twist comes in our interpretation of "rate" but it's a big semantics stretch for me to call this "population collapse" or fret that it's anything but extremely necessary for the survival of the species. 

Population rates are rising quickly in poor countries - Nigeria, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Pakistan, etc. This presents opportunities for those countries but also potential problems in the future. If they are unable to create jobs and opportunities at rates commensurate with their population growth (a near impossibility in most of these nations) is going to lead to likely violence, as evidenced by the current Civil War in Ethiopia. 

As for population declines, it's a first world problem (including China). The issue population declines present are severe: social programs, health insurance, pension funds, etc. all depend on a ratio of young workers for every elderly person. As that ratio shifts towards the elderly, the costs of those programs becomes untenable. 

1 minute ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Oh, I didn't mean to make it sound like it's good or bad. I personally think it's good.

Population rates are rising quickly in poor countries - Nigeria, Ethiopia, Indonesia, Pakistan, etc. This presents opportunities for those countries but also potential problems in the future. If they are unable to create jobs and opportunities at rates commensurate with their population growth (a near impossibility in most of these nations) is going to lead to likely violence, as evidenced by the current Civil War in Ethiopia. 

As for population declines, it's a first world problem (including China). The issue population declines present are severe: social programs, health insurance, pension funds, etc. all depend on a ratio of young workers for every elderly person. As that ratio shifts towards the elderly, the costs of those programs becomes untenable. 

Yes, and that ties into an interview I listened to the other day.  It was with a guy who is part of an organization that is trying to create opportunities for people in poor countries to immigrate to places where there are jobs.  They were saying that there are large numbers of these populations that are willing to move to get a job, if they can.  So, this organization was working with governments to make that happen.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have a problem with looking at these laws and seeing if there are logical ways to relax them.  I remember when my son was in HS, he was extremely frustrated that there were certain jobs, that he knew he could do, but because of child labor laws, he wasn't allowed to.  It was actually very hard for him to find a job in HS.

There's no reason why a 14 or 15 year old can't do certain jobs in a packing plant or 16 or 17 year olds do certain jobs in construction.  Heck....we are wanting kids to get into the trades.  Allow them to actually work in construction and other trades while in HS when the are formulating what they want to do in life.

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't have a problem with looking at these laws and seeing if there are logical ways to relax them.  I remember when my son was in HS, he was extremely frustrated that there were certain jobs, that he knew he could do, but because of child labor laws, he wasn't allowed to.  It was actually very hard for him to find a job in HS.

There's no reason why a 14 or 15 year old can't do certain jobs in a packing plant or 16 or 17 year olds do certain jobs in construction.  Heck....we are wanting kids to get into the trades.  Allow them to actually work in construction and other trades while in HS when the are formulating what they want to do in life.

Construction and trades? Fine, but I have a million reasons why 14 & 15 year olds shouldn’t ever work in a packinghouse. Health and safety is number 1 but a strong #2 is why? They won’t learn anything valuable and if they want to actually end up working in a packinghouse, well, they’ve already given up on life. Sorry but any job they would allow a young teen to do is a job nobody should want to do. Just keeping it real.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Construction and trades? Fine, but I have a million reasons why 14 & 15 year olds shouldn’t ever work in a packinghouse. Health and safety is number 1 but a strong #2 is why? They won’t learn anything valuable and if they want to actually end up working in a packinghouse, well, they’ve already given up on life. Sorry but any job they would allow a young teen to do is a job nobody should want to do. Just keeping it real.

I'm fine if they're not allowed in the packing house.  But, I also could see some jobs that they could do that would be safe.

As for why?  Because sometimes these kids can benefit greatly from actually starting to earn some money.  And, I'm not just talking so they can buy video games.  Sometimes there's a family that really could use a little more income.  Maybe a kid wants to start earning and saving for college earlier.

What I'm saying is, I fully understand why child labor laws are in place.  However, I have seen, for myself, situations where it may have gone too far and kids really should be allowed to enter the workforce in more ways than they currently are.  I'll give you an example.  My son wanted to work for the city (small town middle Nebraska) over the summer.  One task they really needed to hire for is mowing.  We have a lot of parks and ball fields that need mowed constantly.  Nope....too young.  I think he needed to be 16 to do it.  Guess what he did at home?  Mow the lawn with a mower no different than he would have used on the job.  Seriously?  A 15 year old kid can't sit on a mower and mow grass?  Meanwhile, his friends who are sons of farmers are driving huge tractors all over the place....legally.

So, maybe not the packing house.  I'm fine with that.  But, there are lots of other areas where we can seriously reconsider the laws.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm fine if they're not allowed in the packing house.  But, I also could see some jobs that they could do that would be safe.

As for why?  Because sometimes these kids can benefit greatly from actually starting to earn some money.  And, I'm not just talking so they can buy video games.  Sometimes there's a family that really could use a little more income.  Maybe a kid wants to start earning and saving for college earlier.

What I'm saying is, I fully understand why child labor laws are in place.  However, I have seen, for myself, situations where it may have gone too far and kids really should be allowed to enter the workforce in more ways than they currently are.  I'll give you an example.  My son wanted to work for the city (small town middle Nebraska) over the summer.  One task they really needed to hire for is mowing.  We have a lot of parks and ball fields that need mowed constantly.  Nope....too young.  I think he needed to be 16 to do it.  Guess what he did at home?  Mow the lawn with a mower no different than he would have used on the job.  Seriously?  A 15 year old kid can't sit on a mower and mow grass?  Meanwhile, his friends who are sons of farmers are driving huge tractors all over the place....legally.

So, maybe not the packing house.  I'm fine with that.  But, there are lots of other areas where we can seriously reconsider the laws.

I agree, there are lots of viable opportunities that currently aren’t allowed that could/should be. But packinghouse work is not one of them. Sure there may be a small handful of jobs there that they could do safely while gaining some money and experience but those very few jobs are not what the packers or lawmakers have in mind. The need that is driving some of this potential legislation is cleanup/sanitation work, probably the most dangerous with the least amount of training there is. I wouldn’t let my almost 30 year old do that job, ever. Let’s just say I’ve had a lot of experience being around it and being close to the industry. It’s s#!t work that kills and injures way more people than it should. 

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

They won’t learn anything valuable and if they want to actually end up working in a packinghouse, well, they’ve already given up on life

One possible valuable lesson is learning they don’t want to end up working at a meat packing plant their entire life. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3