Economy

6 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

From What I read in the study, they amortized the cost of the charging equipment over 5 years into the energy cost of the EV.  

So in the scenario you just presented, the energy wouldn’t technically be free the first five yrs while the equipment cost is amortized out.  According to them anyways.  

Im down with any solution that is as reliable or more and as cheap or cheaper than what we got going on today. 

Of course you have to buy the equipment and depreciate that over time.

On 2/20/2023 at 2:37 PM, Archy1221 said:

Here’s the study since it wasn’t linked in the article. I don’t have dog in this fight and don’t really care either way as I’m not in the market for a vehicle.   I thought it would be strange for an EV to be more expensive from an energy cost standpoint.  Your info makes some sense, but here is the data they showed which also makes some sense.  

https://www.andersoneconomicgroup.com/cars-gas-powered-cheaper-to-fuel-than-electric-in-late-2022/

Thanks for the link, but that's just a summary of the study. You have to order the full report, without which they don't give the actual methodology and underlying numbers used to get the final costs.

I own an EV and those numbers for EV at-home charging are WAY too high. I set a trip meter on Jan 1, 2022 to keep track of my miles and my home charger can keep track of energy used. To date (almost 14 months) I've driven 9719 miles and charged 2766 kWh. My electricity rate is a flat $0.13/kWh, which means I spent $360 over that time. That works out to $0.037/mile or $3.70 for 100 miles.

The study does include road taxes and costs of a home charger, so let's include those in my costs. My home charger cost $1200 to install ($500 for the charger but an electrician had to run 220V wiring both the length and width of the house to the garage and install a 50A breaker). The study uses 5 years to amortized the cost of the home charger, so for me that would be $1200/(12*5) = $16.67/month or $233 for 14 months, which works out to $0.024/mile or $2.40 for 100 miles. That raises my total cost to $6.40 for 100 miles. (After 5 years my costs would be reduced by that amount. Also, note that if you already have a 220V outlet near your car, the costs could be zero.) Here in Colorado there's a $50/year fee for EV's (link for states that charge EV taxes/fees). (I'm ignoring the tax breaks I get in Colorado for an EV, which are more than $50, because this post is getting long.) In my case that works out to $58.33 for 14 months, which is $0.006/mile or $0.60 for 100 miles. That raises my total to $7 for 100 miles. Of course, this is just my own case, but it illustrates a real world example that's significantly less than the $11 for 100 miles claimed in the "study".

Unsurprisingly, it turns out Anderson Economic Group has a history of misrepresenting EV costs. Here's an article looking at a similar "study" they did in 2021: https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a38043667/study-electric-cars-higher-cost-questions/

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
On 2/16/2023 at 8:52 AM, ZRod said:

I remember it was "hard" to get a job bagging groceries because they only want to hire so many kids under 16 since they can only work so many hours and it screws up the coverage.

Personally I don't think 14 and 15 year old should be operating industrial equipment of any kind, whether that's lawnmowers (push mower is fine) or farm equipment. Some 16 and 17 year olds shouldn't either. I guess a family operation (i.e. farming) is a little different, but they need to be supervised at all times. Farming is one of the most dangerous professions out there, and the accidents are usually of the go big or go home kind where you're losing a limb(s) or your life. We don't need a rash kids getting wrapped around PTOs in the 21st century.

Got to thinking about this this morning and chuckling.  Today is "Drive your tractor to school day" at our local HS.  Yep...HS kids driving tractors to school.  Meanwhile, they are barely old enough to drive a riding lawnmower in the city parks.:laughpound

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

Great...a promise of more tariffs.  :facepalm: This idiot.  And, phase out importing anything from China in 4 years.  :laughpound  It's obvious that this pathetic human has never actually manufactured anything before.

Should have never even sniffed the oval office and he's sniffing it again.

Greatest business man the world has ever seen!!!!!

30 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Great...a promise of more tariffs.  :facepalm: This idiot.  And, phase out importing anything from China in 4 years.  :laughpound  It's obvious that this pathetic human has never actually manufactured anything before.

Yes, we need more jobs! Right BRB? 

On 2/25/2023 at 1:23 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Things like this drive me nuts.

Of course consumer spending is increasing. Hello, McFly….there has been rampant inflation. Things cost more, a lot more. Is anybody surprised that consumers are spending more? I’m guessing most people are buying less but spending more.

• TBH 1
9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

If there was a time for doing something like this it was around 1988

48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have to imagine unemployment is going to creep up with all the talk of layoffs in multiple industries. And some how corporations turned record profit last year and didn't even pass it all on to their employees, but they're still looking for more cash. Wtf??? 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, ZRod said:

I have to imagine unemployment is going to creep up with all the talk of layoffs in multiple industries. And some how corporations turned record profit last year and didn't even pass it all on to their employees, but they're still looking for more cash. Wtf??? 

Not sure what the outrage is about.  3.6% is still a freakishly low unemployment rate.  The tech sector has been laying off people.  The majority of other industries are still having problems finding workers.  The unemployment rate has been so low that really, the only way it was going to move was up...and this is just a small movement.  

• Plus1 1