Trump's Social Media Platform

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/21/media/donald-trump-social-media-network/index.html

Looks like the Trump team is in the works for creating a "game changing" social media platform.  First of all, I bet $10 that this never comes to reality.  And that isn't a bad thing for Trump.

I could only see this platform going 1 of 2 ways for Trump, and neither are good.  First option, his company has to censor posts and set rules on what users can and can't say.  This will not go over well for the people that are really confused about the 1st Amendment.  Second option, Trump sticks to his "free speech" mantra and the platform quickly does what unsupervised social media does and turns into a cesspool of ugliness and probably racist diatribes.  

Does Trump really want his name tied to that?  I'm guessing only if the money is right...

32 minutes ago, funhusker said:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/21/media/donald-trump-social-media-network/index.html

Looks like the Trump team is in the works for creating a "game changing" social media platform.  First of all, I bet $10 that this never comes to reality.  And that isn't a bad thing for Trump.

I could only see this platform going 1 of 2 ways for Trump, and neither are good.  First option, his company has to censor posts and set rules on what users can and can't say.  This will not go over well for the people that are really confused about the 1st Amendment.  Second option, Trump sticks to his "free speech" mantra and the platform quickly does what unsupervised social media does and turns into a cesspool of ugliness and probably racist diatribes.  

Does Trump really want his name tied to that?  I'm guessing only if the money is right...

There will be some that users will need to donate money to Trump to use the forum.  Then, yeah....it will end up a cess pool. 

Clearly, the only people who are going to use this are MAGAts. 

1 hour ago, funhusker said:

Does Trump really want his name tied to that?

Trump has proven he'll be complicit with unsavory associations if they're beneficial to him, just like a lot of politicians. Any Trump-based platform would almost certainly be attractive to MAGAs and many Republicans in general, and would therefore unquestionably be a breeding ground for the anti-semites, ethno-nationalists, bigots and racists that populate the Republican ranks.

There's an odds on chance it'll end up being just like Parler... a conservative haven for group think. Millions would flock there under the guise of 'free speech' and the general belief that they can now say what they want, only to realize that their words still have consequences. That's what many conservatives thought about Parler. And then the Jan. 6th riot happened and Parler folded like an omelette the second federal authorities began probing them for help in catching the rioters.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Trump has proven he'll be complicit with unsavory associations if they're beneficial to him, just like a lot of politicians. Any Trump-based platform would almost certainly be attractive to MAGAs and many Republicans in general, and would therefore unquestionably be a breeding ground for the anti-semites, ethno-nationalists, bigots and racists that populate the Republican ranks.

There's an odds on chance it'll end up being just like Parler... a conservative haven for group think. Millions would flock there under the guise of 'free speech' and the general belief that they can now say what they want, only to realize that their words still have consequences. That's what many conservatives thought about Parler. And then the Jan. 6th riot happened and Parler folded like an omelette the second federal authorities began probing them for help in catching the rioters.

This would kill any political future for the Trump family.  And I agree 100% that's how it would go down.

If the site became a "safe haven" for the radicals, it would pretty much cement Trump's reputation of catering to that demographic.  It would be pretty hard for the GOP (at least the sane ones) and rational voters to go along with that.  At least I'd hope!

• Fire 1

22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This would kill any political future for the Trump family.  And I agree 100% that's how it would go down.

If the site became a "safe haven" for the radicals, it would pretty much cement Trump's reputation of catering to that demographic.  It would be pretty hard for the GOP (at least the sane ones) and rational voters to go along with that.  At least I'd hope!

I would hope so, too, but I'm not holding my breath. Some of the conversations happening here and elsewhere certainly suggest otherwise. It took until Jan. 6th for a lot of Trump supporters to finally realize that 'hey, maybe this guy's presidency and the environment/culture he's fostering isn't the best thing,' but many of those same folks will still defend or attempt to justify almost anything else about his presidency.

And despite what some Republicans claim about Trump now that he's out of office, I believe many of them would still vote for him again if given the opportunity. If Trump funded and launched a social media platform that turned into a trainwreck of bigotry and radicalism, we can already provide somewhat accurate predictions about the conservative reaction: "he's just a businessman who saw an opportunity," "he's not responsible for what other people say and do on there," "these are just honest, hard-working Americans sharing their opinions," etc.

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I didn't think about this.  But, if he starts this with his name all over it and it turns into a cesspool of KKK/Proud Boys crap, this would be easy fodder to go against him in 2024 if he runs.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I would hope so, too, but I'm not holding my breath. Some of the conversations happening here and elsewhere certainly suggest otherwise. It took until Jan. 6th for a lot of Trump supporters to finally realize that 'hey, maybe this guy's presidency and the environment/culture he's fostering isn't the best thing,' but many of those same folks will still defend or attempt to justify almost anything else about his presidency.

And despite what some Republicans claim about Trump now that he's out of office, I believe many of them would still vote for him again if given the opportunity. If Trump funded and launched a social media platform that turned into a trainwreck of bigotry and radicalism, we can already provide somewhat accurate predictions about the conservative reaction: "he's just a businessman who saw an opportunity," "he's not responsible for what other people say and do on there," "these are just honest, hard-working Americans sharing their opinions," etc.

You Make Me Sad GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 2
45 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Just so everyone is clear, majority of the pre Jan 6th riot talks happened on Facebook and Google platforms than Parler according to the FBI and court reports. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

As others have said, if Trump starts this - it will be like a magnet - drawing all of the crazies and cult members to his site.  He would have to do a lot of policing  to not get 'stained' with all of the stuff that will occur on the site.   However, it is still one of those 'birds of a feather' things - trump attracts those that are like him. So any stain may just blend right in to who he is already. I can't see it helping him in the GOP party.  Perhaps as a platform to start a 3rd party.  A place to capture "donations" (otherwise known as a con man conning people out of their money) and a promise to start a new political movement.

14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Just so everyone is clear, majority of the pre Jan 6th riot talks happened on Facebook and Google platforms than Parler according to the FBI and court reports. 

That's not really relevant to my post/point. The point was that Parler was largely considered to be a safe haven of sorts for conservatives on social media. Many thought that they would have more flexibility to share their opinions without being silenced or held accountable for it. Many of them clearly thought their words would have no repercussions either yet, low and behold, they did. Just like they did on Facebook and Twitter. The same would likely hold true for any Trump-backed platform.

If you want to talk about which social platform is more culpable for the Jan. 6th riots, this isn't the thread for that.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Yes.  And then those platforms started kicking people off.  There is a reason Parler happened...

I would give Trump a ton of credit if he followed suit managed his platform in such a way.  But if he starts suspending accounts and kicking people off, that won't end well.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

That's not really relevant to my post/point. The point was that Parler was largely considered to be a safe haven of sorts for conservatives on social media. Many thought that they would have more flexibility to share their opinions without being silenced or held accountable for it. Many of them clearly thought their words would have no repercussions either yet, low and behold, they did. Just like they did on Facebook and Twitter. The same would likely hold true for any Trump-backed platform.

If you want to talk about which social platform is more culpable for the Jan. 6th riots, this isn't the thread for that.

Ah c'mon. It would be interesting to see a MAGA Trump supporter go through the contortions it would take to explain to us all how a Trump social media platform should be embraced because it will be more like Parler which obviously wasn't near as bad as Facebook or Twitter.  I mean where and why would a person even begin down that path. It could be fascinating.

The more we let them talk and express their thoughts, the more they cement just how brainwashed and undiscerning they really are. It's a win-win.

• Plus1 3
38 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Ah c'mon. It would be interesting to see a MAGA Trump supporter go through the contortions it would take to explain to us all how a Trump social media platform should be embraced because it will be more like Parler which obviously wasn't near as bad as Facebook or Twitter.  I mean where and why would a person even begin down that path. It could be fascinating.

The more we let them talk and express their thoughts, the more they cement just how brainwashed and undiscerning they really are. It's a win-win.

A Trump social media platform would most likely either fail within a year or two of launching or find such a small audience that it would not be viable economically long term.  

Since you brought it up while trying to snark your way through a response, you must have some points of reference to show us that Facebook and Twitter had less of an impact on the events of Jan 6th than Parler?  Or some post to reference when saying a Trump supporter wanted people to embrace a Trump social media platform?  Or that a Trump supporter was comparing a Trump social media platform to to Parlor? 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

A Trump social media platform would most likely either fail within a year or two of launching or find such a small audience that it would not be viable economically long term.  

Since you brought it up while trying to snark your way through a response, you must have some points of reference to show us that Facebook and Twitter had less of an impact on the events of Jan 6th than Parler?  Or some post to reference when saying a Trump supporter wanted people to embrace a Trump social media platform?  Or that a Trump supporter was comparing a Trump social media platform to to Parlor? 

I have zero evidence that any of Facebook, Twitter or Parler were more or less responsible than the others. In fact, based on common sense and numbers of users, I would tend to agree with you that the larger more established Facebook and Twitter likely had more influence.

I didn't claim you want people to embrace a Trump social media platform or even necessarily that you were a MAGA Trump supporter. But there is no denying you were the one to make the initial claim in this Trump Social Media thread that Parler had less influence than Twitter or Facebook. So logic dictates you went there for some reason, and posting history would seem to provide a clue for that reason.

Sorry but you can't (or shouldn't) claim very infrequently to not be a Trump supporters while almost constantly, daily, exhibiting behavior that suggests otherwise. It makes the few and far between denouncements  unbelievable quite frankly.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1