Nebraska Legislature Thread

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

21 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Maybe not the laws specifically, but the laws are absolutely an ingredient in the entire recipe that makes the state uninteresting to many as they get out of college.

I moved out of state right out of college.  Nebraska laws were never even thought of at the time.  My three kids all moved out of state and Nebraska laws never were part of the reason.  They all will move back eventually.  I don't know if I have ever talked to a young person that said..."Wow...I'm moving because I don't like the laws in Nebraska".

Now, I have known some retired people who have moved because of our tax laws and they moved to a state with lower taxes.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
12 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I moved out of state right out of college.  Nebraska laws were never even thought of at the time.  My three kids all moved out of state and Nebraska laws never were part of the reason.  They all will move back eventually.  I don't know if I have ever talked to a young person that said..."Wow...I'm moving because I don't like the laws in Nebraska".

Now, I have known some retired people who have moved because of our tax laws and they moved to a state with lower taxes.

This.  There is just more opportunities for higher paying jobs in other cities besides Omaha/Lincoln.  

Some kids think they want to move to a coast and live in LA or NY; but that is small I think (it was 2 classmates out of my class of 60).

I think a lot of kids just wind up finding jobs in Denver, Des Moines, Kansas City, etc.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's more or less what I'm saying. Nobody is moving away because of the direct reason of "I don't like the laws", but that's a piece of the entire puzzle of the culture of the state that makes it easy to leave and uninteresting for many.

• TBH 1

3 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

That's more or less what I'm saying. Nobody is moving away because of the direct reason of "I don't like the laws", but that's a piece of the entire puzzle of the culture of the state that makes it easy to leave and uninteresting for many.

Yeah, I can see that. Being a hard right state doesn't make a lot of more liberal folks feel attached to the "culture" of the state.  

And when the hard right folks say "well, we don't need liberals like you anyway", it really makes it less desirable for some.  I don't think I'm some crazy liberal at all, but compared to the people in my neighborhood you'd think I was a furry handing out food stamps to little kids so I could abort them at the age of 6.

3 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Yeppers, pretty much!

About 50% of my graduating class stays in state for college.

30-40% will stay "close" 3-7 hours away by car.

Then a lot stay or come back.

• Plus1 1

I look at state laws much like I do the stadium renovation conversations we've been having recently e.g. improved concourses aren't necessarily going to make or break someone's game attendance, but they're part of the overall package deal.

It's rare that any one thing will influence someone's decision to live or not live in a specific state. Income, location, schools, population, cost of living, taxes, laws... I think they all influence a decision, some more than others. Much like what @Lorewarn is saying.

I do have a couple of friends who moved out of Nebraska recently (they're in their late 20's) and they did specifically mention some of Nebraska's recent legislative decisions as contributing factors to why they wanted to leave. So, anecdotal, small sample size. But it's definitely a thing.

Keep in mind too that Nebraska has always been the victim of bias from different parts of the country. Can't tell you how many times I've met newcomers to Omaha and they've been completely taken aback (in a good way) by their experience. But, if you don't know and have never visited here, it makes a lot sense as to why you may not necessarily want to pack up and come here.

• TBH 2