Nebraska Legislature Thread

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Denver has Union Station downtown already. It was a massive remodel a few years back and now is both the Amtrak station and the major hub for the lightrail. My mom has taken the train between Denver and Omaha a couple times, but it takes ~12 hours, can have major delays (20 hours late once), and costs as much as flying. A high-speed rail would at least be competitive with flying for travel time unless there are a ton of stops between Denver and Omaha like Amtrak has.

I'm still baffled by this.  So, Holdrege to Lincoln is 2.5 hours.  That means it takes 6.5 hours to get from Denver to Holdrege.  There are only two friggen stops with a LOT of wide open spaces to just cruise.  Driving only takes 5 hours.

This sucks.  This means the train is averaging only 50 mph.  :facepalm:. Now, have a train like in Germany and that same trip is a little over 2 hours.

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm still baffled by this.  So, Holdrege to Lincoln is 2.5 hours.  That means it takes 6.5 hours to get from Denver to Holdrege.  There are only two friggen stops with a LOT of wide open spaces to just cruise.  Driving only takes 5 hours.

This sucks.  This means the train is averaging only 50 mph.  :facepalm:. Now, have a train like in Germany and that same trip is a little over 2 hours.

Correct. Amtrak is a slow speed train. I don't know all the regulations, but the train has speed limits for towns and crossings and such, and the trains themselves I think can only operate around 50 mph efficiently (not sure actual top speed). I think a lot of this is due to the passenger trains running on freight train lines where the speed is far less important. Dedicated high speed rail would dramatically improve things.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

What a total f#&% up. 

Part of the ptoblem:

The Treasury Department’s only consistency with ERAP distribution has been its inconsistency,” he said when asked to respond to the new developments. “The Department has frequently changed its guidance to align with DC’s political whims, and that’s only likely to continue.”

• Plus1 1