Nebraska Legislature Thread

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Keep in mind too that Nebraska has always been the victim of bias from different parts of the country. Can't tell you how many times I've met newcomers to Omaha and they've been completely taken aback (in a good way) by their experience. But, if you don't know and have never visited here, it makes a lot sense as to why you may not necessarily want to pack up and come here.

Yes.

I have a friend who owned a large business in Des Moines when we lived there.  He hired someone from NY.  The guy came for the interview, was hired and moved.  After he worked there for a while, he told my friend that he was convinced he would not accept the job before he came for the interview because he couldn't imagine wanting to live in Des Moines.  After getting there, he was totally sold on it and his family absolutely loved it.  Omaha and other areas of Nebraska fall into this same predicament.  

On 10/6/2023 at 12:37 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Yes.

I have a friend who owned a large business in Des Moines when we lived there.  He hired someone from NY.  The guy came for the interview, was hired and moved.  After he worked there for a while, he told my friend that he was convinced he would not accept the job before he came for the interview because he couldn't imagine wanting to live in Des Moines.  After getting there, he was totally sold on it and his family absolutely loved it.  Omaha and other areas of Nebraska fall into this same predicament.  

I think it ends up being a personal matter between huge cities, smaller cities, towns, villages, etc.  I have never lived outside of Nebraska; I do overall enjoy it here.  However, I grew up in a small town (1700 people or so) and never want to work live in a town that small again.  Bottom line: to each, their own.

• TBH 1
1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I think it ends up being a personal matter between huge cities, smaller cities, towns, villages, etc.  I have never lived outside of Nebraska; I do overall enjoy it here.  However, I grew up in a small town (1700 people or so) and never want to work live in a town that small again.  Bottom line: to each, their own.

For the most part there are what, 7-10 "name" cities?

NY

Chicago

LA

Dallas

Boston

San Fran

Houston

add 3 more...

And then after that all of the cities are pretty much the same.  I can see where a New Yorker would think that Des Moines or Omaha were going to be lame tiny cities, until they get there.  But like if you are not in one of those 7-10 cities, the difference is almost nothing. 

• TBH 3
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

For the most part there are what, 7-10 "name" cities?

NY

Chicago

LA

Dallas

Boston

San Fran

Houston

add 3 more...

And then after that all of the cities are pretty much the same.  I can see where a New Yorker would think that Des Moines or Omaha were going to be lame tiny cities, until they get there.  But like if you are not in one of those 7-10 cities, the difference is almost nothing. 

Cities in the midwest are all quite similar, but the differences between San Diego and Charleston and Savannah and Portland and Memphis etc. are pretty pronounced.

55 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Cities in the midwest are all quite similar, but the differences between San Diego and Charleston and Savannah and Portland and Memphis etc. are pretty pronounced.

Oh yeah, for sure.

But that is more cultural and not "what is there to do", you know?

• Plus1 1
  • 1 month later...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

9 hours ago, deedsker said:

But have you tried…cutting taxes?

My favorite conservative moment is Governor Sam Brownback of Kansas from 2011 to 2018. They instituted a series of conservative tax cuts and the state party boasted that Kansas would be a "live red-state experiment" on Conservative supply-side economics. Ronald Reagan would no doubt bless them from beyond the grave.

After state projections of revenue were half of what lawmakers projected - only $369 million instead of the planned $651 million, schools were in danger of not getting funding according to levels mandated by law. After years of missed revenue projections, Kansas faced 3 credit downgrades on their bonds, missed state payments into various funds mandated by law, and eventually the public school system faced extreme stress. By 2017, Kansas fell behind neighboring states in nearly all categories: job creation, unemployment, GDP growth, revenue, education, etc.

After eventual repeal of the tax law after 5 years, legislatures who worked in Kansas went on a sort of public speaking tour where they went to other Conservative states and would warn their lawmakers about the perils of actually following through with supply-side economics. Brownback resigned instead of serving out his second term.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

My favorite conservative moment is Governor Sam Brownback of Kansas from 2011 to 2018. They instituted a series of conservative tax cuts and the state party boasted that Kansas would be a "live red-state experiment" on Conservative supply-side economics. Ronald Reagan would no doubt bless them from beyond the grave.

After state projections of revenue were half of what lawmakers projected - only $369 million instead of the planned $651 million, schools were in danger of not getting funding according to levels mandated by law. After years of missed revenue projections, Kansas faced 3 credit downgrades on their bonds, missed state payments into various funds mandated by law, and eventually the public school system faced extreme stress. By 2017, Kansas fell behind neighboring states in nearly all categories: job creation, unemployment, GDP growth, revenue, education, etc.

After eventual repeal of the tax law after 5 years, legislatures who worked in Kansas went on a sort of public speaking tour where they went to other Conservative states and would warn their lawmakers about the perils of actually following through with supply-side economics. Brownback resigned instead of serving out his second term.

But at least Brownback got to be ambassador of religious freedom under Trump! Nothing like failing up your whole life!

• Plus1 1