recruiting problems

19 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Columbus, OH is nothing special.  I guess if you really want to spread your wings you could go to the mistake by the lake Cleveland.  You think top recruits go to Ohio St. because Columbus is so cool?  Lincoln has nothing to do with why top recruits aren't choosing Nebraska.  These kids spend 90% of their time on campus in the sports complex.  

Key difference here is ohio st is the football powerhouse ina state which is prolly #4 in producing solid talent behind texas, florida and ca... maybe theres a state im forgetting but between cleveland, cinci, and columbus (which i think is around like 800k ppl?),  those are 3 major cities along with all of the smaller towns where football is life. 

The ironic part is the explosive growth of the omaha metro area over the past decade or 2 is actually turning nebraska into a state with some solid recruits more consistently... at the end of the day its a population game, we just havent been good enough to capitalize and protect all the instate guys, particularly in this cycle and the next few

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Columbus, OH is nothing special.  I guess if you really want to spread your wings you could go to the mistake by the lake Cleveland.  You think top recruits go to Ohio St. because Columbus is so cool?  Lincoln has nothing to do with why top recruits aren't choosing Nebraska.  These kids spend 90% of their time on campus in the sports complex.  

Madison is a nice town, as is Evanston. 

23 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Key difference here is ohio st is the football powerhouse ina state which is prolly #4 in producing solid talent behind texas, florida and ca... maybe theres a state im forgetting but between cleveland, cinci, and columbus (which i think is around like 800k ppl?),  those are 3 major cities along with all of the smaller towns where football is life. 

The ironic part is the explosive growth of the omaha metro area over the past decade or 2 is actually turning nebraska into a state with some solid recruits more consistently... at the end of the day its a population game, we just havent been good enough to capitalize and protect all the instate guys, particularly in this cycle and the next few

yes that is my point.  Kids pick schools like Ohio st because they are winners.  They have about 30 kids on their roster from OH and a good 10 of them are K or punters or LS.  I'm sure the kid they have from Brookly, NY was like yeah columbus OH has much more to offer me a than NY city.  Nobody cares that Nebraska is in Lincoln.  They care that they aren't a powerhouse anymore.  Win some games and better players will come.

• Plus1 3

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You can think what you want, but as an outsider looking in, that's what recruits see. Lincoln, Nebraska is about as bland a place as you're gonna find, from a recruit's standpoint. If we were winning and were a hot commodity they might give us a look, but that's not happening right now.

It depends on the recruit, and what they're used to. Or what they're looking for. 

Fidone is without a doubt an elite recruit. We got him to come here instead of a more "beautiful" locale. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

"Lincoln doesn't suck" is a pretty obvious takeaway from saying his post is wrong. 

I don't think Lincoln (or Nebraska as a whole) sucks; I'm just saying what recruits from other parts of the country perceive. Once they come for a visit they tend to enjoy themselves and like it quite a bit, but getting them on a visit is tough. Living in Louisiana I have interacted with quite a few 4 and 5-star guys, and when I ask them what they think of Nebraska, their reaction is typically that they know nothing about it, it's cold, "What is there to do there? Nothing.", and the football program is irrelevant. 

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It depends on the recruit, and what they're used to. Or what they're looking for. 

Fidone is without a doubt an elite recruit. We got him to come here instead of a more "beautiful" locale. 

True, but he also grew up in a similar environment. It's tough to convince kids from the Deep South (SEC country) to give Nebraska a look unless they've been totally overlooked by the SEC schools... and usually when they DO give schools outside the SEC consideration, it's a winning program like Oklahoma, Ohio State, Clemson, etc...

1 minute ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I don't think Lincoln (or Nebraska as a whole) sucks; I'm just saying what recruits from other parts of the country perceive. Once they come for a visit they tend to enjoy themselves and like it quite a bit, but getting them on a visit is tough. Living in Louisiana I have interacted with quite a few 4 and 5-star guys, and when I ask them what they think of Nebraska, their reaction is typically that they know nothing about it, it's cold, "What is there to do there? Nothing.", and the football program is irrelevant. 

I think you and I are on the same page. The other poster's opinion isn't really what either of us are talking about.

I agree that a lot of top recruits don't know anything about Nebraska, but that's more to do with our recent losing ways than Lincoln itself. Once they get here a lot of them talk about how surprised they are how nice Lincoln & campus is. Many of them go elsewhere, but I posit that has more to do with other teams' success and our lack thereof than Lincoln itself. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

yes that is my point.  Kids pick schools like Ohio st because they are winners.  They have about 30 kids on their roster from OH and a good 10 of them are K or punters or LS.  I'm sure the kid they have from Brookly, NY was like yeah columbus OH has much more to offer me a than NY city.  Nobody cares that Nebraska is in Lincoln.  They care that they aren't a powerhouse anymore.  Win some games and better players will come.

Well you can make just random statements like that or you could look at their most recent recruiting class and come to find that they signed the recruits below who all have 1 thing in common- theyre all from ohio.

The #4 recruit in the nation (D lineman)

The #52 recruit in the nation (D Lineman)

The #86 recruit in the nation (LB)

The #98 recruit in the nation (WR)

The #123 recruit in the nation (OL)

and the #411 recruit in the nation (S)

But hey, these are just facts and you're probably right, they only get kickers and walk ons from ohio meanwhile all the actual good players are from elsewhere.

Last time I checked, nebraska as a state doesnt come close to putting up this kind of talent.  We celebrated having T Fidone who was rated anywhere from like 40-100 on recruiting ranking nationally depending on what service.... I guess totally the same as the list above?!

AND if you really wanna expand FACTS, take a look at the 500 mile radius we love to hype here- you'll find ohio state also has talent rich states such as pennsylvania and some east coast states that have way more ppl that we do nearby.

But again, these are just facts, let's roll with those baseless assumptions baby, its a 3 day weekend, F IT!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

I think you and I are on the same page. The other poster's opinion isn't really what either of us are talking about.

I agree that a lot of top recruits don't know anything about Nebraska, but that's more to do with our recent losing ways than Lincoln itself. Once they get here a lot of them talk about how surprised they are how nice Lincoln & campus is. Many of them go elsewhere, but I posit that has more to do with other teams' success and our lack thereof than Lincoln itself. 

pq0yzDy.thumb.png.7bc59fd56f610a447f46ccffb545b3e0.png

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
14 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Well you can make just random statements like that or you could look at their most recent recruiting class and come to find that they signed the recruits below who all have 1 thing in common- theyre all from ohio.

The #4 recruit in the nation (D lineman)

The #52 recruit in the nation (D Lineman)

The #86 recruit in the nation (LB)

The #98 recruit in the nation (WR)

The #123 recruit in the nation (OL)

and the #411 recruit in the nation (S)

But hey, these are just facts and you're probably right, they only get kickers and walk ons from ohio meanwhile all the actual good players are from elsewhere.

Last time I checked, nebraska as a state doesnt come close to putting up this kind of talent.  We celebrated having T Fidone who was rated anywhere from like 40-100 on recruiting ranking nationally depending on what service.... I guess totally the same as the list above?!

AND if you really wanna expand FACTS, take a look at the 500 mile radius we love to hype here- you'll find ohio state also has talent rich states such as pennsylvania and some east coast states that have way more ppl that we do nearby.

But again, these are just facts, let's roll with those baseless assumptions baby, its a 3 day weekend, F IT!!!!

show me where I said that.  And I agree with you Ohio is talent rich.  That isn't the debate going on.  I'll tell you for a fact at least 3 of the states that border Ohio have more talent than Nebraska.  Cincinnati last time I checked was also in Ohio.  Why aren't they competing for a NC year in and year out?  I'll give you a hint... they aren't Ohio St.  If Nebraska didn't fall off the face of the earth as far as national perception they would get more higher rated kids from other parts of the country   

46 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

show me where I said that.  And I agree with you Ohio is talent rich.  That isn't the debate going on.  I'll tell you for a fact at least 3 of the states that border Ohio have more talent than Nebraska.  Cincinnati last time I checked was also in Ohio.  Why aren't they competing for a NC year in and year out?  I'll give you a hint... they aren't Ohio St.  If Nebraska didn't fall off the face of the earth as far as national perception they would get more higher rated kids from other parts of the country   

You literally said: "They have about 30 kids on their roster from OH and a good 10 of them are K or punters or LS". Perhaps my reading comprehension misinterpreted this but to me it came off as indirectly saying columbus isnt desirable and ohio state is recruiting all of their guys nationwide simply becasue theyre good.  Yes, theyre able to attract top guys from anywhere given success, but they also have a consistent foundation of being able to swoop up 5+ guys year in and year out that are some of the best players in the country right in there backyard.

While cincinnati has had some solid years, are you really trying to make the case that a non power 5 school should be on the same level talent attraction wise as the name brand program in the state?  

Sure winning always helps, but you're acting as if its reasonable to think nebraska can be ohio state if we just won some more games.  While i would never say never, the odds are incredibly stacked against us because its a numbers game at the end of the day and programs like ohio state have SO MUCH MORE talent at their disposal near their campus.  Sure, its never a sure thing, look at texas struggling right now despite all the talent in their backyard.  But sure is ahelluva lot easier to get to the top and consistently stay there when you have a talent rich pipeline right in your backyard- something that doesnt exist at the moment for us and isnt going to change any time soon when you look at the current population decline of the midwest states and the fact that we really dont have any major metro areas near campus outside of Omaha/lincoln, kansas city, denver etc... all of which besides omaha/lincoln have P5 schools closer and others that are also going for the same talent.

Many on this thread seem to want to talk about whether lincoln can be a desirable place or not.  I think thats completely missing the point that oftentimes kids dont want to travel THAT far away from home unless they're playing for a saban/dabo of the world and given all schools in the top 25 get tv exposure proximity to recruits is key.  We're seeing an upward trend as omaha continues to grow and the players coming out of the whole metro region- winning more would probably increase our liklihood of keeping them in state, but even with the recent impressive talent it is still a far cry from what ohio state has had at its disposal for decades

8 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

You literally said: "They have about 30 kids on their roster from OH and a good 10 of them are K or punters or LS". Perhaps my reading comprehension misinterpreted this but to me it came off as indirectly saying columbus isnt desirable and ohio state is recruiting all of their guys nationwide simply becasue theyre good.  Yes, theyre able to attract top guys from anywhere given success, but they also have a consistent foundation of being able to swoop up 5+ guys year in and year out that are some of the best players in the country right in there backyard.

While cincinnati has had some solid years, are you really trying to make the case that a non power 5 school should be on the same level talent attraction wise as the name brand program in the state?  

Sure winning always helps, but you're acting as if its reasonable to think nebraska can be ohio state if we just won some more games.  While i would never say never, the odds are incredibly stacked against us because its a numbers game at the end of the day and programs like ohio state have SO MUCH MORE talent at their disposal near their campus.  Sure, its never a sure thing, look at texas struggling right now despite all the talent in their backyard.  But sure is ahelluva lot easier to get to the top and consistently stay there when you have a talent rich pipeline right in your backyard- something that doesnt exist at the moment for us and isnt going to change any time soon when you look at the current population decline of the midwest states and the fact that we really dont have any major metro areas near campus outside of Omaha/lincoln, kansas city, denver etc... all of which besides omaha/lincoln have P5 schools closer and others that are also going for the same talent.

Many on this thread seem to want to talk about whether lincoln can be a desirable place or not.  I think thats completely missing the point that oftentimes kids dont want to travel THAT far away from home unless they're playing for a saban/dabo of the world and given all schools in the top 25 get tv exposure proximity to recruits is key.  We're seeing an upward trend as omaha continues to grow and the players coming out of the whole metro region- winning more would probably increase our liklihood of keeping them in state, but even with the recent impressive talent it is still a far cry from what ohio state has had at its disposal for decades

I more meant that they in fact have a ton of talent in Ohio and even they don't depend solely on in-state talent.  I more wanted to point out that some of the kids they have on their team leave places like, Hawaii, Florida, California and Texas for Columbus, OH.  not that great of a place and also has s#!tty weather like Nebraska for those who claim kids don't come to Lincoln because of snow.   The bolded was more my point.  If Lincoln was a big city and had a beach top kids still might not pick Nebraska if they aren't winning.  Look at Miami.  I'm sure they have nice facilities, they are near the beach, tons of talent in Florida.  All the top talent isn't flocking there anymore because they are no longer the "U" of old.  

• Plus1 1

Most college towns are lame to anyone that isn't going to that college.  

In all my years of living in Omaha I have never, not once, gone to Lincoln for anything other than a Husker game or being forced (coaching, school, s#!t like that)

I am guessing if I lived in in South Carolina I would never go to Clemson unless it was for a game.  Probably the same if I lived in Bama and Mississippi.

And in reality Lincoln is way bigger than those places and has way more to do.  

Now, the campus, that might be a selling point to some recruits.  Maybe.

• Plus1 1