What Is Nebraska's Offensive Identity? -- New Husker Newsletter

J-MAGIC

14 minutes ago, Farms said:

Yea I understand we run a lot of read option as well but wouldn't say it has been as successful either. 

Ummm..... Martinez averaged 5.7 ypc last year.  Breece Hall led the nation in rushing and averaged 5.6.  

Exactly how much more effective are you expecting it to be?

• Plus1 3

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Ummm..... Martinez averaged 5.7 ypc last year.  Breece Hall led the nation in rushing and averaged 5.6.  

I see, do you have a break down of that between read option, QB draw, scrambles, etc? 

• Plus1 2
23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I never said he wasn't he wasn't successful as a runner.  I just said that in my opinion, QB draw has been our most consistently successful offensive play. 

2 minutes ago, Farms said:

I never said he wasn't he wasn't successful as a runner.  I just said that in my opinion, QB draw has been our most consistently successful offensive play. 

I think the point was we run very few straight draws, where it's basically pass blocking and trying to let guys run by the QB. We run a lot of QB darts/counters/powers where Martinez might do a quick pass fake, but not many of them are actual draws and are more similar to standard RB runs. 

1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

I think the point was we run very few straight draws, where it's basically pass blocking and trying to let guys run by the QB. We run a lot of QB darts/counters/powers where Martinez might do a quick pass fake, but not many of them are actual draws and are more similar to standard RB runs. 

Yea you're right when I say "QB draw" I"m really meaning all of those designed QB runs that are not options sorry. 

17 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

We actually do run a decent amount of straight draw on top of the other QB run stuff. 10 times during the Iowa, Purdue and Rutgers games. They have an RPO off it with a swing route on box numbers they ran a lot last year, especially with McCaffrey in the game. Gif of the play below and I explain it more in the post.

https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_b1b2a215-974c-46c0-9ca8-ab1ef7019bd6_474x253.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Figuring out an offensive identity under Frost is probably futile conversation.  It all depends on the O-line and the progress they have made.  They have to be able to compete against D-lines in the Big 10.  For the love of gravy, don't open the season with a backward screen pass.  Hopefully our genius QB whisperer can teach AD how to look off db's!!!  Clean up the sloppy penalties and we can complete with most teams on our schedule.