What did we learn? Illinois Edition

I have now learned that Buffalo will either be a close loss or a close win and that every game we have left this season we will be the dog.  Now that we know that Illinois is a terrible team and that our defense was pushed up and down the field by a back-up QB, I can't wait to move on from this turd sandwich that is our current football program.  The next HC coming in will have to do a total rebuild of Frost's total rebuild. 

Why we must move on from Frost you ask?  When was the last time we made some noise nationally?  When was the last time we were ranked in the top 25?  When was the last time we beat someone that was ranked? When was the last time we won a bowl game?  When was the last time we did anything to turn heads in this current young generation that has no memory of our glory days?  We are no more notable to the current recruits than Illinois or Indiana.  This is literally rock bottom and the only way to get the engine started again, is to get a spark and that spark will have to be a big name hire at HC who is going to bring in his top of the line QB and get us back into the positive national news.  Frost has brought us nothing but one embarrassing loss and scandal after another.  At year four of this routine, he is all but done.  I predict that the nationally televised blow-out loss to Oklahoma will be the final straw.  No need to keep the train wreck going the rest of the year.  Have Matt Lubick take over as interim and give our opposing defenses pause as they have to throw out their 'Frost's go-to plays' they have used with great success the past 3 years and have to guess at what Lubick will do each game. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On 9/5/2021 at 8:49 AM, Bledred said:

I have now learned that Buffalo will either be a close loss or a close win and that every game we have left this season we will be the dog.  Now that we know that Illinois is a terrible team and that our defense was pushed up and down the field by a back-up QB, I can't wait to move on from this turd sandwich that is our current football program.  The next HC coming in will have to do a total rebuild of Frost's total rebuild. 

A positive discovery:  Read this thread.  Looks like we've learned a few things about the Huskers since this thread after the Illinois game.  This whole thread was about how crappy we are and how we're likely to be underdogs in the Buffalo game and not that big of favorite in the Fordham game.  Both were blowouts by us. 

Now we head to Norman heavy underdogs (23 points or so).  I feel that it's possible we don't let Oklahoma cover that spread, going by what we've learned since the Illinois game. 

• Plus1 1
On 8/30/2021 at 11:51 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm still more concerned with the first sentence. How can you lose half of your offensive game plan when the opposing defense shows up in a formation your game plan is obliged to consider?

I think too much has been made of this.  I can see how the way Frost phrased it (along with the result of the game) made it sound bad.

But if you prepared half of your game plan for a four-man front and the other half for a three-man front, you would naturally not use half of the game plan - the half prepared for the front they weren't running.  Another example of people complaining when they think the answers are just "coach speak" but they picking apart everything that is said when they actually give answers.

Anyway, not to dredge up old wounds but I ran across this and it reminded me of it.  It's not just something Frost had to deal with because he wasn't prepared.  (And I wasn't necessarily trying to argue with you, this was just the first post I found that referenced it).

Dabo from yesterday:

Q: What area would you like to see your offensive line improve the most?

SWINNEY: "We have to cut out critical penalties first. We had a couple jumping off sides, we didn't snap the ball one time. There are some fundamental things where we're not turning guys loose, getting to the second level and picking up the twists. There are two games in a row with no sacks, so that's a positive. A lot of positives, but the offensive line has to be the most cohesive group on the team, truly. We're bringing some guys along who are going to be good players.

"First thing we have to do is cut out some of the mistakes, missed assignments ... very correctible things. What's frustrating is that we're not seeing these things in practice. We want to transition this to game day. Saturday was a weird day. We prepared zero for what they did defensively. That created some anxiety for a young guy like Marcus Tate. All of a sudden it's not what he practiced for and it took him awhile to settle in."

Link

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1