PFF grades the offense against OU

lo country

9 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

This allows Adrian more time than if we ran a long and drawn out play action- which is a bad idea given our O-line performance.

Not nitpicking your overall sentiment, but this one worked like a charm:

However, to your point: Good pass protection was critical on this play. This one counts as play action in my book because Adrian does technically fake the handoff to Rahmir.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

However, to your point: Good pass protection was critical on this play. This one counts as play action in my book because Adrian does technically fake the handoff to Rahmir.

Agreed- not the typical QB turn around for the handoff play action that many traditionalists are referencing though.  It happens fast while the QB keeps his eyes forward.  I also think the quick pump fake is what really created the separation.

2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Agreed- not the typical QB turn around for the handoff play action that many traditionalists are referencing though.  It happens fast while the QB keeps his eyes forward.  I also think the quick pump fake is what really created the separation.

Yeah.

And when a guy gets this open, this is Frost throwing a haymaker at the opposing DC. Everything is setup on this play to spring the TE, everybody executes, Adrian hits his man.

This is the kind of stuff I always envisioned Frost's offense being after we saw Year 1. Obviously it sucks that we took such a big step backwards in 2019 but at least we're figuring it out now rather than not at all.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

And Oklahoma knew this so adjusted their defense to keep him boxed in the majority of the time.  They also had a spy/delayed rush to disrupt passes outside the pocket.

Not sure why you quoted my post to make this statement though?  

A spy at Linebacker depth. That doesn't do anything to the pass rush scenario where AM is seeing way too much pressure in the pocket. That buys him more time and if you've ever played QB with tall linemen- better lines of sight. 

11 minutes ago, Undone said:

THIS is a legit lets make them think run play. Not the flash fake IZ,. Jet, or Jet give look with the Center giving a pull look. Vokelek sold it well with a "whiff" on the LB. 

7 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

THIS is a legit lets make them think run play. Not the flash fake IZ,. Jet, or Jet give look with the Center giving a pull look. Vokelek sold it well with a "whiff" on the LB. 

Yep! And Frost's mesh route technique is there also.

Right side safety bites hard on the run and then stays there to guard Rahmir in the flat for a pass. Corner is in man and is pulled all the way out of helping position by our wideout on the right side of the field.

Vokolek camoflages and pumps those big thighs quick downfield. Execution by all 11 guys on the field is perfect.

The offense did look a little more creative this week.

I know that when Martinez pretends to hand it to a running back, it's technically called "play action" but watching from home you still know it's a pass from the way the Huskers line up, the play-calling history, and nobody on the Husker offense making much of an attempt to sell the run. It that going-through-the-motions thing that NFL teams do all the time, too. 

I'd love to see a little more effort at deception. As mentioned before, Scott Frost was a master at making you believe he no longer had the ball (easier when  you're a run first team) and I bet Adrian could excel at it too.

Love to see the RBs get more shots at going wide, including the option -- which Adrian seems to run really well -- but also just some pitch outs that give these guys a chance to get the corner. 

Yesterday I saw Philadelphia bullrush the 49ers non-stop, and our less mobile QB had almost no time to throw, until a steady diet of check down outlet passes to the running backs started getting those 5 - 8 yard chunks to string together first downs.  There are things you can do to help an offensive line that's doing too much back-pedaling. 

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

They do and it is effective.  If defenders have eyes in the backfield and even have to pause for a split second, it gives receivers a step.  This allows Adrian more time than if we ran a long and drawn out play action- which is a bad idea given our O-line performance.  

Go back and watch the 2nd half of the Illinois game and I believe it happened in Fordham as well.  It was so bad.  It's not giving any defender worth a damn a reason to pause.  Illinois I could understand because for at least two of them it was an obvious passing down late.  So technically it is PA but it had no affect on the defense.  

• Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The offense did look a little more creative this week.

I know that when Martinez pretends to hand it to a running back, it's technically called "play action" but watching from home you still know it's a pass from the way the Huskers line up, the play-calling history, and nobody on the Husker offense making much of an attempt to sell the run. It that going-through-the-motions thing that NFL teams do all the time, too. 

I'd love to see a little more effort at deception. As mentioned before, Scott Frost was a master at making you believe he no longer had the ball (easier when  you're a run first team) and I bet Adrian could excel at it too.

Love to see the RBs get more shots at going wide, including the option -- which Adrian seems to run really well -- but also just some pitch outs that give these guys a chance to get the corner. 

Yesterday I saw Philadelphia bullrush the 49ers non-stop, and our less mobile QB had almost no time to throw, until a steady diet of check down outlet passes to the running backs started getting those 5 - 8 yard chunks to string together first downs.  There are things you can do to help an offensive line that's doing too much back-pedaling. 

Totally agree. 

HATE "play action" on everyone knows we're  passing downs. I think either the last play of the game or next to last desperation pass was "play action"

9 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Totally agree. 

HATE "play action" on everyone knows we're  passing downs. I think either the last play of the game or next to last desperation pass was "play action"

The whole conversation becomes at least a bit less murky though if your offensive line is getting a good push and you can get into 2nd & short situations a bit more often.

To state it a different way, one of the precise problems is that we are getting ourselves into too many obvious passing downs in the first place.

I'm sure Scott didn't envision the season going that way, but that's where it is and he needs to adjust and continue to figure out how to find high percentage ways to move the ball to the outside, IMO. Because as you said in a different post, the structural issues of the run blocking aren't just going to magically disappear over the next couple games.

14 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yeah, I don't know if Corcoran is still not 100% or just isn't ready but he's really struggling. 

I'd rather not have to throw a true freshman in there but it sure seems like we need to try something different.

On a positive note, after Benhart got beaten to the inside a few times last game, he did a much better job of forcing his defender outside and running him past Martinez (at least in the first half that I've watched).

Corcoran needs to slide inside in the worst way. 

2 minutes ago, Undone said:

The whole conversation becomes at least a bit less murky though if your offensive line is getting a good push and you can get into 2nd & short situations a bit more often.

To state it a different way, one of the precise problems is that we are getting ourselves into too many obvious passing downs in the first place.

Our first down RB run game has gotten us very little. Playing behind the chains way too much. 

59 minutes ago, Undone said:

Watch the All-22 view and develop a man crush on Rahmir Johnson with me. 

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

I also think the quick pump fake is what really created the separation.

Vokelek already had 10 yards of separation before Martinez pump faked.

Great looking run fake- safety came down very hard- he was out of position to pick up the TE> .That is what created the separation. Vokelek  sold the block "whiff" and didnt get on his wheels until he cleared the defender- well done.