Nebraska Special Teams- WORST In Power 5 During Frost Tenure

The key on punts fielded near midfield area is scouting. One would think with all the analysts we've hired is that they've watched enough film and gathered enough analytics to determine how far the punter we are facing normally can kick in the air when kicking from his own part of the field. Then having the knowledge of factoring in wind to that equation. If we are too lazy to do that- at least in the name of all things holy at least watch the guy kick in warmups :bang

You always want to be at the max in the air distance, easier to come up on a punt than trying to catch it over your shoulder or retreating bounce. Having sure hands is important- but knowing where to line up is pretty important too. Being we are at the bottom consistently with Special Teams- maybe those assumptions shouldnt be made- you know doing the basic things most Power 5 teams do to prep in the Special Teams area. 

This is where we are at rankings wise including non Power 5 :

Football Outsiders Analytics ranked HUSKERS special teams by years:
*2018 - 109
*2019 - 123
*2020 - 115
*2021 - 105

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Yeah, and I thought CTB had an issue in that game as well.

But if I'm wrong about this issue overall, I will stand corrected!

CTB Had a blocker run into him in the buffalo game, ball bounced off that blocker and was recovered by Buffalo.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

If there is no ST coach, who makes sure Kickers are practicing? And who gives them feedback during practice? 

Note that we have consistently had issues with injuries with both punters and kickers. C'mon, kickers? Are they kicking too much, too little, correctly, lifting correctly? 

Who would know? They need room, they aren't kicking in the middle of a practice field full of offensive and defensive players. 

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

CTB Had a blocker run into him in the buffalo game, ball bounced off that blocker and was recovered by Buffalo.

CTB failed to alert the blockers of a short kick using the word Peter. Coach Frost said that in an after game interview and said " We've told him, but we have to do a better job of coaching him on that".  Another sign CTB panics a bit back there and that we need coach special teams much differently than we are now. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

CTB failed to alert the blockers of a short kick using the word Peter. Coach Frost said that in an after game interview and said " We've told him, but we have to do a better job of coaching him on that".  Another sign CTB panics a bit back there and that we need coach special teams much differently than we are now. 

Yeah, you have repeated that numerous times over the past couple weeks.  I was answering Undone's question regarding catching issues.  We have not had any this year.  Follow along...    

18 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Yeah, you have repeated that numerous times over the past couple weeks.  I was answering Undone's question regarding catching issues.  We have not had any this year.  Follow along...    

I was pointing out- we have had issues fielding the ball- you seem to want to deflect from that. I think you even said you were close and heard CTB yell "Peter". After that was posted I shared that Frost contradicted that in his interview after the game- said it wasn't the case.                                                                

Belt bobbled one too. So in 4 games we have had at least 3 issues fielding punts, 2 which ended up as turnovers. That isn't good sign for our punt return team. I think we've had what 1 return longer than 8 yards? Consistent with a team ranked last in Special Teams in Power 5. 

3 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I was pointing out- we have had issues fielding the ball- you seem to want to deflect from that. Belt bobbled one too. So in 4 games we have had at least 3 issues fielding punts, 2 which ended up as turnovers. That isn't good sign for our punt return team. I think we've had what 1 return longer than 8 yards? Consistent with a team ranked last in Special Teams in Power 5. 

Nobody said we were good at this- we all know how bad we are and understand your opinion on the matter.  The finer points of where we suck were being discussed and a question was asked.  We have not turned the ball over or had serious issues with actually catching the ball (like we have had in previous years).  Yes, Belt bobbled one that went out of bounds, which was mentioned earlier in the discussion.   

35 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Note that we have consistently had issues with injuries with both punters and kickers. C'mon, kickers? Are they kicking too much, too little, correctly, lifting correctly? 

Who would know? They need room, they aren't kicking in the middle of a practice field full of offensive and defensive players. 

So they just watch Tic-Tok then? 

• Plus1 1

I've heard and read about several very successful coaches who START practice with special teams instead of the traditional ending with Special Teams. Something about helping everyone to get on the same page about the importance of Special Change. 

A friend that used to play on the Steelers said that they used to in the middle of practice go into "sudden change" mode. Quick transition to Special Teams on the fly- no one but the coaches knew it was happening.

Not sure what the answer is- other than what we've been doing for the last 4 years just isn't working. 

What we hear about is more talk about how "important" special teams is with no real improvement. Then when someone suggests that we do something "revolutionary" here like hiring a special teams coach- they get put down for it ;)

3 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I've heard and read about several very successful coaches who START practice with special teams instead of the traditional ending with Special Teams. Something about helping everyone to get on the same page about the importance of Special Change. 

The Huskers were doing this this spring and fall.