Saunders

Who Wins?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Call your shot!

• Michigan State wins and covers (-5)
    • Nebraska covers
    • Nebraska wins

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/25/2021 at 10:00 PM

2021 Game 5 “Expert” Picks: Nebraska @ Michigan State (-5)

—————

CollegeFootballNews.com

Why Nebraska Will Win

Really … has Michigan State beaten anyone who’s any good? It’s an underground hipster theory about Alabama’s win over Miami to start the season – Miami might not be any good. Bama is obviously amazing, but it might not be Alabama like everyone thinks it is, at least based off that win. Michigan State beat the Canes. It also beat a bad Northwestern team and Youngstown State … oooooooh. The Huskers aren’t playing all that poorly. The Illinois game looks more and more like a loss that would’ve been avoided if the Fordham game came first to work out some of the kinks, and the 23-16 loss at Oklahoma might have been – relatively speaking – among the best games yet under Scott Frost.

Why Michigan State Will Win

The balance on the Spartan offense has been almost perfect – 791 rushing yards, 769 yards through the air.  It’s finding ways to move the ball as needed, it worked out the passing game timing against Youngstown State, and it’s been able to run well in all three games so far. The O has been better than expected, and the defense has been a rock so far against the run. Nebraska’s Adrian Martinez is throwing well, and he leads the way in rushing, but the MSU D will take its chances with the ball in the air. As long as Martinez isn’t hitting the big home run with his legs, the Spartans should be okay.

What’s Going To Happen

Nebraska is playing better overall lately, but Michigan State is just too sharp, too balanced, and playing with too much confidence in all phases. Like the Oklahoma game, the Huskers will hang around and make it competitive, but they’ll come up just short when the chances are there to take over the momentum. Michigan State won’t exactly break it open late, but they’ll get the big fourth quarter drive to put it away.

MSU 34 - Nebraska 20

—————

ESPN FPI

MSU - 73.4%

—————

DRatings

MSU 28 - Nebraska 24

MSU - 62.7%

—————

ESPN Bill Connelly SP+

MSU 27 - Nebraska 24

MSU - 55%

—————

AP - Ralph Russo

That bad loss in the opener at Illinois might be obscuring some real improvement by the Huskers

MSU 27 - Nebraska 24

—————

Sporting News

The Spartans continue to roll with Kenneth Walker III and a punishing rushing attack, and Nebraska is coming off another emotional loss against Oklahoma. The Huskers are 9-2 all time against the Spartans, but we're trusting the better team.

MSU 30 - Nebraska 20

—————

Big Red Wrap-Up

Mike’l Severe: Nebraska 27 - MSU 23

Jay Moore: Nebraska 24 - MSU 20

—————

CBS Sports

Dennis Dodd: MSU

Tom Fornelli: MSU

Chip Patterson: N

Barrett Sallee: MSU*

David Cobb: MSU

Shehan Jeyarajah: MSU

Jerry Palm: MSU

—————

USA Today

Jace Evans: MSU

Paul Myerberg: N

Eddie Timanus: MSU

Erick Smith: MSU

Heather Tucker: MSU

Scooby Axson: MSU

—————

Dallas Morning News

Scott Bell: N

Chuck Carlton: MSU

Corby Davidson: N

Josephy Hoyt: MSU

Ric Renner: MSU

Selby Lopez: MSU

Kevin Sherrington: MSU

Brett Vito: MSU

New Scruggs: MSU

—————

Athlon Sports

Kevin McGuire: MSU

Steven Lassan: MSU

Ben Weinrib: MSU

—————

247 Sports - Spartan Nation

I think this is going to be a battle. I do. I think this one's going to be a big one, but I am not a person that looks down on Scott Frost. I know things are difficult, I know it's not gone as smoothly as everyone wants, but I think you saw a lot from them with that Oklahoma fight and with the absolute best environment and college football being what Nebraska is. I think at the end of the day on a last-second field goal, the Huskers win.

Nebraska 20 - MSU 17

—————

Lincoln Journal Star

Chris Basnett:  MSU 23 - Nebraska 22

Parker Gabriel: Nebraska 23 - MSU 21

Clark Grell: MSU 30 - Nebraska 23

Nate Head: MSU 24 - Nebraska 20

Steven M Sipple: MSU 27 - Nebraska 24

—————

Lansing State Journal

Las Vegas had the wrong underdog in MSU’s first two matchups against power-five conference programs. I think Vegas has it right in this one, with MSU a five-point favorite over the Huskers. It’s not that Nebraska can’t cause MSU some problems. But if you’ve watched these teams play through the first few weeks of the season, and trust your eyes, there’s no way you’re picking Nebraska. The Spartans have been balanced, dynamic, disciplined and dangerous offensively. The Huskers have lacked that discipline and efficiency. If these two teams are who they’ve been, the Spartans should win.

MSU 31 - Nebraska 21

—————

Husker Extra

This line started at a field goal and moved up quickly to five. What do the sharps know? I think I like Nebraska here in a close win, for once. Tough MSU crowd to deal with though.

Nebraska 24 - MSU 21

—————

• Plus1 4

I think this is going to be a battle. I do. I think this one's going to be a big one, but I am not a person that looks down on Scott Frost. I know things are difficult, I know it's not gone as smoothly as everyone wants, but I think you saw a lot from them with that Oklahoma fight and with the absolute best environment and college football being what Nebraska is. I think at the end of the day on a last-second field goal, the Huskers win.

Nebraska 20 - MSU 17

i think he is trolling us

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
  • Oh Yeah! 1
20 minutes ago, commando said:

Nebraska 20 - MSU 17

i think he is trolling us

Sadly, I felt an uptick of confidence when I saw that a MSU writer picked the Huskers. Then I saw their prediction was predicated by competent special teams play…and I realized they know nothing. 

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, Caveman said:

Sadly, I felt an uptick of confidence when I saw that a MSU writer picked the Huskers. Then I saw their prediction was predicated by competent special teams play…and I realized they know nothing. 

When we beat them in 2018, we scored 3 field goals in the 4th quarter to win.  Pickering had a good day but that wasn't typical on the season.  He was 11 of 15 on the year without that game.  Maybe a little bit of trolling but we have had Michigan State's number through the years so it wouldn't surprise me if this guy was seriously predicting that outcome.

Since 1914, they have only beat the Huskers twice - in 2013 and 2014.  

• Oh Yeah! 1
4 hours ago, Hilltop said:

When we beat them in 2018, we scored 3 field goals in the 4th quarter to win.  Pickering had a good day but that wasn't typical on the season.  He was 11 of 15 on the year without that game.  Maybe a little bit of trolling but we have had Michigan State's number through the years so it wouldn't surprise me if this guy was seriously predicting that outcome.

Since 1914, they have only beat the Huskers twice - in 2013 and 2014.  

11 of 15 plus 3 made that day is an amazing year! What's the matter with you?!  :lol: