Northwestern Play-by-Play

Mavric

23 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Depth?  Yes.  11 yards of depth?  I don't think so.

I'd like you to show me some examples where an NFL QB takes their standard set at 11 yards.  If it's in any game, it shouldn't be hard to find.

Two of the best routinely getting 10 yards of depth on straight drop back.  

• Plus1 2
24 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s isn’t so much how deep he gets, that’s a good thing, it’s that he doesn’t step back up in the pocket a bit to allow the tackle to ride the defender further upfield around the QB.
You are definitely right in that the QB did the left tackle no justice on that drop back.  

Why drop back if you're already in the shotgun?  If you watch Martinez, usually he really doesn't drop back.

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So you agree that I'm right even though you're trying to argue the point.

So, no.  Getting to 11 yards then hitching back up in and of itself is not a huge problem.  It’s just not a standard drop.  Please try again. 

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why drop back if you're already in the shotgun?  If you watch Martinez, usually he really doesn't drop back.

And that is a problem too in my opinion.  He creates a smaller pocket doing that. 

• Plus1 2
14 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

This little discussion is completely worthless, but just for the hell of it I watched through the Mahomes video because I love watching his highlights.

That video has maybe one dropback where he barely gets a full 10 yards back without being pressured.

Otherwise he's consistently around a standard 6-8 yards back from the LoS.

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Undone said:

This little discussion is completely worthless, but just for the hell of it I watched through the Mahomes video because I love watching his highlights.

That video has maybe one dropback where he barely gets a full 10 yards back without being pressured.

Otherwise he's consistently around a standard 6-8 yards back from the LoS.

You must have missed some then 

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Nice of you to keep shortening the distance to try to make your assertion fit.

Brady drop depths: 7, 10, 11, 10-immediately has to step up, 7, 8, 7, 8

Mahomes drop depths (couldn't tell on all of them because it didn't show the snap): 10-immediately had to step up, 8, 8, 9, 10, 10, 8, 8, 8, 9-immediatly has to step up, 9, 8, 10, 7, 10, 8, 8, 10

So in all those plays, two of them got to the depth I said was too deep.  And that is two of the greatest QBs out there playing behind NFL-caliber offensive lines.

Standard depth would be 7-9 yards.  Occasionally it's deeper than that but that also leads to a much higher percentage of being pressured quickly.  Which is what I was trying to point out.

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So in all those plays, two of them got to the depth I said was too deep.

And it didn’t cause a problem, as I have said.  

Do you even understand why these drops are not the exact same depth on every passing play.  Some plays 9 or 10 or for goodness sakes 11 on accident would be what the coaches are looking for. 

you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill in order to justify being “right”

• Plus1 2
Just now, Archy1221 said:

And it didn’t cause a problem, as I have said.  

He got sacked and fumbled.  How much worse does it have to be for you to deem it a "problem"?

Just now, Archy1221 said:

Do you even understand why these drops are not the exact same depth on every passing play.  Some plays 9 or 10 or for goodness sakes 11 on accident would be what the coaches are looking for. 

you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill in order to justify being “right”

You are the one who keeps arguing that it isn't a problem for the QB to get sacked.  How hard are you trying to be "right"?

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

He got sacked and fumbled.  How much worse does it have to be for you to deem it a "problem"?

It didn’t cause a problem for the two best QB’s in the NFL as shown by the videos.  

As I’ve stated, which you disregard, the college kid didn’t step back up in the pocket, which created the problem 

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You are the one who keeps arguing that it isn't a problem for the QB to get sacked.  How hard are you trying to be "right"?

Please show where I said that.  Thanks in advance! 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It didn’t cause a problem for the two best QB’s in the NFL as shown by the videos.  

I never said it did.  I said it caused a problem for Northwestern's QB.  You brought the NFL into it and then failed to really show what you were wanting to show.

As I’ve stated, which you disregard, the college kid didn’t step back up in the pocket, which created the problem 

You can argue that he should have done something different.  That's fine.  But he didn't.  What he did actually caused the problem.  That's not even debatable.  Just watch the video and see what happened.

Please show where I said that.  Thanks in advance! 

You're welcome.

• Plus1 2