Northwestern Play-by-Play

Mavric

13 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Kind of an uncharacteristically quick pitch from Martinez.  I wonder if he knew Betts had them beat.

Man, Betts covers ground in a HURRY.

The DE squeezes hard- closes ground on the QB immediately- no feathering, it's a pitch read all the way and early. Fake is going away. The spacing on Frosts version of the triple is very big, so not as much need to press/attack into the unblocked edge defender at all- he's not going to be able to get to the pitch man- not Betts anyways. 

Not trying to take anything away from Nelson.  Great play.

But watching these again makes me think some of this is on the QB - he is setting up REALLY deep.  11 yards behind the LOS when Nelson hits him.  Part of that may be we were getting so much pressure he was getting "happy feet" and drifting back.  IIRC, the Tommy Armstrong had some issues with that.  Line took a lot of heat for poor pass protection but if the QB was where he should be in the pocket he'd get more protection.

15 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not trying to take anything away from Nelson.  Great play.

But watching these again makes me think some of this is on the QB - he is setting up REALLY deep.  11 yards behind the LOS when Nelson hits him.  Part of that may be we were getting so much pressure he was getting "happy feet" and drifting back.  IIRC, the Tommy Armstrong had some issues with that.  Line took a lot of heat for poor pass protection but if the QB was where he should be in the pocket he'd get more protection.

It’s isn’t so much how deep he gets, that’s a good thing, it’s that he doesn’t step back up in the pocket a bit to allow the tackle to ride the defender further upfield around the QB.
You are definitely right in that the QB did the left tackle no justice on that drop back.  

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

It’s isn’t so much how deep he gets, that’s a good thing, it’s that he doesn’t step back up in the pocket a bit to allow the tackle to ride the defender further upfield around the QB.

Eh, I don't think so.  Pretty sure that's not how it's coached.  Yes, he could have stepped back up.  Or he could have just set up where he was supposed to set up in the first place.

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh, I don't think so.  Pretty sure that's not how it's coached.  Yes, he could have stepped back up.  Or he could have just set up where he was supposed to set up in the first place.

A QB is supposed to get depth.  It was true back when I was coached in HS and College as it is today.  Just watch any NFL game

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

I had forgotten about this play.  He does get a little chance to show the wheels here.  Covers 20 yards pretty quickly.  

Their right side defensive end guesses wrong that Adrian's faking the handoff and running it himself.

If Martinez does keep it, he can then pitch to Falck or he can throw downfield. This is like, quadruple option.   :)

Johnson shows good vision on this one IMO; he waits just long enough to see the gap and then bursts through it. Ultimately though, Teddy Pro just demolishes the entire left side of the line.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

A QB is supposed to get depth.  It was true back when I was coached in HS and College as it is today.  Just watch any NFL game

Depth?  Yes.  11 yards of depth?  I don't think so.

I'd like you to show me some examples where an NFL QB takes their standard set at 11 yards.  If it's in any game, it shouldn't be hard to find.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Depth?  Yes.  11 yards of depth?  I don't think so.

I'd like you to show me some examples where an NFL QB takes their standard set at 11 yards.  If it's in any game, it shouldn't be hard to find.

If you would like to show me where I said 11 yards is standard depth that would be great.   What I said was that the depth isn’t necessarily the issue it’s more that he didn’t step back up.  

Standard depth would be 6-9 yards depending on the QB, routes being run, and OLine objective’s based on how they want the DE to rush.  Some coaches would like greater depth from the QB to allow the tackle to push the DE upfield creating outlet space if needed between the guard who doesn’t get as much depth  and tackle. 

BTw…watch a little Patrick Mahomes this next Sunday. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

If you would like to show me where I said 11 yards is standard depth that would be great.   What I said was that the depth isn’t necessarily the issue it’s more that he didn’t step back up.  

I said 11 yards was too deep and you said it wasn't.  That seems pretty obvious.

2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Standard depth would be 6-9 yards depending on the QB, routes being run, and OLine objective’s based on how they want the DE to rush.  Some coaches would like greater depth from the QB to allow the tackle to push the DE upfield creating outlet space if needed between the guard who doesn’t get as much depth  and tackle. 

BTw…watch a little Patrick Mahomes this next Sunday. 

So you agree that I'm right even though you're trying to argue the point.

OK.  I guess.

• Plus1 2