Just normal American Utopia...

1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. It was a combination of the automobile and white flight that sent people, money and development out to the suburbs, a move very much supported and engineered by politicians and business interests. Once in the suburbs, you still had to travel by car to the malls that were springing up. Those new houses typically got rid of the front porch and allowed you to drive into your garage and enter your house without being outside. Architecture played to the private rather than the public sphere. There's been a movement to change that.

One of the struggling malls in our bedroom suburb plans to follow a new template where they replace the anchor retailers at each end of the mall with apartment units. The pedestrian part of the mall is turned into a park or greenspace. That greenspace is lined with the mall stores much like before, but now it looks like a small town and has the residents/pedestrians already built in. 

Anyone remember the film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" Obviously a big silly comedy, but the plot was closely based on the true story of how political and business forces in Los Angeles sabotaged public transit in order sell cars, suburban tract homes, and huge highway developments. 

That is a cool idea!

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yep. It was a combination of the automobile and white flight that sent people, money and development out to the suburbs, a move very much supported and engineered by politicians and business interests. Once in the suburbs, you still had to travel by car to the malls that were springing up. Those new houses typically got rid of the front porch and allowed you to drive into your garage and enter your house without being outside. Architecture played to the private rather than the public sphere. There's been a movement to change that.

One of the struggling malls in our bedroom suburb plans to follow a new template where they replace the anchor retailers at each end of the mall with apartment units. The pedestrian part of the mall is turned into a park or greenspace. That greenspace is lined with the mall stores much like before, but now it looks like a small town and has the residents/pedestrians already built in. 

Anyone remember the film "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" Obviously a big silly comedy, but the plot was closely based on the true story of how political and business forces in Los Angeles sabotaged public transit in order sell cars, suburban tract homes, and huge highway developments. 

North Platte has done the same thing to their mall.  It was basically empty and they have completely recreated a very nice area around it with apartments and other types of shopping.  Grand Island is starting to do the same thing.

4 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It appears asian women listen to the Georgia Satellites 

I got a little change in my pocket going jing-a-ling-a-ling
Wanna call you on the telephone, baby, I give you a ring
But each time we talk, I get the same old thing
Always, "No huggee, no kissee until I get a wedding ring"

My honey, my baby
Don't put my love upon no shelf
She said
"Don't hand me no lines and keep your hands to yourself"

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Is there any chance that a review of The Rabbit Hole's posts won't reveal similar racially tinged posts along with posts decrying liberal race-baiting? 

Is EVERYTHING racist to you?  One would think you would know the post is about out of wedlock births, the economic situation in general for said births and who it affects the most.  One would also notice white folk aren’t at the top of the food chain here so it’s tough to make it racial, yet here we are:facepalm:

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Is EVERYTHING racist to you?  One would think you would know the post is about out of wedlock births, the economic situation in general for said births and who it affects the most.  One would also notice white folk aren’t at the top of the food chain here so it’s tough to make it racial, yet here we are:facepalm:

So the answer is "no."

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I have an idea:  mandatory abortions until marriages can be arranged for anyone with an annual income below $40,000!

I have some friends that would like to go in a Time Machine as they are currently dealing with some angsty teen sons and daughters!  hahaha

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I have an idea:  mandatory abortions until marriages can be arranged for anyone with an annual income below $40,000!

Man...I see you guys need a Japanese teacher?  That spot is not getting filled, is it?   We have Chinese and when a teacher leaves it is so hard to fill.

And some teacher assistant openings?  I could work with you in your shop!

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

So the answer is "no."

If you took the social construct of race out of it, would the data just show that economic status has the most influence?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, ZRod said:

If you took the social construct of race out of it l, would the data just show that economic status has the most influence?

It does.  It's literally the same graph that would be used by the left to promote sex-ed and proactive programs in low income areas that happen to be primarily populated by minorities.  The main difference is the point that is trying to be made...if he has one...

What's funny is the people posting this are generally the same folks saying to quit making things about race!

• Plus1 1