Roe v Wade overturned????? Draft says so

Poll  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Thinking it should be legal is saying you are for legal abortion.   Doesn’t mean you particularly want to have one, but you are FOR the ability of someone else to have one if they so choose.   This isn’t hard to understand.  Quite a silly wordsmith hill for you to argue on.  

At least this little wordsmith hill has caused you to start using the correct wording :thumbs  For legal abortion is correct. For abortion? not so much.

And to be clear, I have never and will never want to have an abortion. Thankfully, as a man, that really isn’t an option. (I think…unsure of the latest developments :lol:)

• Plus1 3

19 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Abortion legal in all cases includes third trimester abortions.   People can be for all legal abortion without actually wanting one themselves.  Again, this isn’t hard to understand.  

Nuance rears it’s head @teachercd

Yes it includes the third trimester but that is a disingenuous and dishonest way to summarize the position, but you know that.

I will attempt to keep things more binary and black & white for you since you have an “issue” with nuance. Is it just because it’s sort of an odd word?

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yes it includes the third trimester but that is a disingenuous and dishonest way to summarize the position, but you know that.

I will attempt to keep things more binary and black & white for you since you have an “issue” with nuance. Is it just because it’s sort of an odd word?

I actually think a lot of the third trimester abortions is exactly why it should be legal in all cases.

Most of these situations are very sad and should be easily handled between parents and the doctor with minimal complications.  Another chunk of these are simply because women had a hard time getting one earlier due to constraints where they live.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
16 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

How is it dishonest and disingenuous?  The research from PEW is there for you to see.   

Make of it what you wish.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I actually think a lot of the third trimester abortions is exactly why it should be legal in all cases.

Most of these situations are very sad and should be easily handled between parents and the doctor with minimal complications.  Another chunk of these are simply because women had a hard time getting one earlier due to constraints where they live.

That is a good point. Third trimester is usually paraded to portray it in a more heinous light, like people are swinging babies against block walls or something. But I’m sure the reality is that the vast majority of these are critically necessary or due to overly restrictive bans and extreme circumstances. These are not abortion as a form of birth control. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

How is it dishonest and disingenuous?  The research from PEW is there for you to see.   

Make of it what you wish.  

I will. Just because you want to emphasize that legal in all cases means being for third trimester abortions, is no skin off my teeth.

Third trimester is usually paraded to portray it in a more heinous light, like people are swinging babies against block walls or something.

Since words matter so much to you as you recently pointed out, the words you just used are quite disingenuous as a descriptor.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

These are not abortion as a form of birth control. 

yep...if they were using abortion as birth control i am sure they wouldn't wait till the 3rd trimester to get it done.  and there are plenty of birth control methods that cost much less than abortions.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

This conversation is an example as to why just yelling..."ABORTION IS HORRIBLE BECAUSE IT'S KILLING BABIES" is what is disingenuous.  These situations are very emotional, personal, and nuanced.  Nobody is waking up 8 months pregnant and saying...you know what?  I'm tired of being pregnant and don't want this baby anyway.  I'm going to go get an abortion".

Third trimester abortions are the epitome of why this needs to be between the patient and their doctor.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Nobody is waking up 8 months pregnant and saying...you know what?  I'm tired of being pregnant and don't want this baby anyway.  I'm going to go get an abortion".

Perfect!   So what’s the need for abortion in the third trimester being legal outside of the life of a mother and a change in the viability of the fetus?  

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Archy1221 said:

Perfect!   So what’s the need for abortion in the third trimester being legal outside of the life of a mother and a change in the viability of the fetus?  

I'm fine with that and I would guess that the vast majority of people would be.  But...we are also arguing against a party that some want to ban abortion completely or only within a very short time.

If I have my choice, it is legal and between the patient and the Dr.  Third trimester abortions for birth control reasons simply doesn't happen.  It's an issue Republicans have dreamt up to turn this into an extremely emotional argument.  They claim babies are being murdered...even after birth.  That simply doesn't happen.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Does this mean that you are for legal abortions, even in the third trimester, if they are being done for the health of the mother or when a fetus is no longer viable?

I ask because that has not been the vibe you’ve been laying down. And it also is not the position of the red state R politicians, who you support.

Edit to add-

That’s okay, I didn’t really expect that you would answer this. Deep down it is probably your position, if you’re a reasonable person, but admitting it might require you to face some inconvenient truths about who you support politically and why.

• Plus1 1
41 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Cue JJ not understanding what a PEW poll says.  

BTW…. @BigRedBusteryou said They claim babies are being murdered...even after birth

does this mean they actually are babies inside the womb and not just clumps of cells as we are told?  

I personally believe they are babies.  (we are talking 3rd trimester here) But, that doesn't change my opinion that a woman, who has an unviable baby or major health issues shouldn't be allowed to make the decision that's most appropriate for her with the counseling of her DR.  This isn't murdering babies.  It's a medical issue that is a very unfortunate part of life.

• Plus1 5