With adding Washington how does our WR depth chart look like now?

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

Jones Jr and Hardy will be processed out next year. They're tackling dummies until then. 

NIL has totally "revolutionized" the game for the better [so I'm told], so for me, I'm a fan now of just one-year scholarships and those based on performance even during the year.  If Jones Jr and Hardy are just "tackling dummies" the cost is way too high to be paying tuition for even a year.  If the "good gets" deserve NIL money and cash dollars, okay, then certainly, those who don't measure up or pan can be done away with rather than "processed out the next year".

I know Vince knows I'm not directing that at him, but for those who think all the changes are great, ya, I'm for the kids ... but if we are taking economics, money and real life world ... then their can't be an "amateur" status or an underperformance spot for the non-productive [as I see it].  These kids must perform or be gone while paying their taxes.

My son is in his 3-4th year in the Coast Guard and continues to excel and gain new skills and responsibilities.  Yet, one of the most difficult tasks for him is to maintain his 186 pound requirement for his weight.  He continues to cycle through failing to hit the measurement and is given I think 3 months to "get back into protocol".  If he fails then he is discharged.  He loves his job but literally struggles to make weight for the initial test or when under a "warning".  It sucks ... but it is life for him.  He's really an exceptional person and would be a nice addition to any team, organization or business ... but if he fails in that one area he is cut after a short time frame.  With NIL and today's desired climate by the athlete, it seems that some "real world" could apply here.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
36 minutes ago, Farms said:

Not that I'm surprised but the fact that we are talking about processing out a kid that's a true freshman is pretty indicative of where we were at with WR recruiting.  We are incredibly lucky that Joseph fell into our lap when he did. 

My comment was pretty harsh, and I don't want to reduce the young men to tackling dummies. I apologize for that statement. 

Mickey is going to bring a lot of guys in, and some will be able to play right away. That is going to put a ton of pressure on the WRs who remain in that room after next year. He doesn't have time for development projects and I think he earns it by who he signs. 

• Plus1 3
46 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

NIL has totally "revolutionized" the game for the better [so I'm told], so for me, I'm a fan now of just one-year scholarships and those based on performance even during the year.  If Jones Jr and Hardy are just "tackling dummies" the cost is way too high to be paying tuition for even a year.  If the "good gets" deserve NIL money and cash dollars, okay, then certainly, those who don't measure up or pan can be done away with rather than "processed out the next year".

I know Vince knows I'm not directing that at him, but for those who think all the changes are great, ya, I'm for the kids ... but if we are taking economics, money and real life world ... then their can't be an "amateur" status or an underperformance spot for the non-productive [as I see it].  These kids must perform or be gone while paying their taxes.

My son is in his 3-4th year in the Coast Guard and continues to excel and gain new skills and responsibilities.  Yet, one of the most difficult tasks for him is to maintain his 186 pound requirement for his weight.  He continues to cycle through failing to hit the measurement and is given I think 3 months to "get back into protocol".  If he fails then he is discharged.  He loves his job but literally struggles to make weight for the initial test or when under a "warning".  It sucks ... but it is life for him.  He's really an exceptional person and would be a nice addition to any team, organization or business ... but if he fails in that one area he is cut after a short time frame.  With NIL and today's desired climate by the athlete, it seems that some "real world" could apply here.

I don't disagree.

If the players want the ability to be paid the way they are now.  Then, it's a two way street.  I was for the guaranteed 4 year scholarship before.  But, with NIL....nope.  Times are changing.

19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't disagree.

If the players want the ability to be paid the way they are now.  Then, it's a two way street.  I was for the guaranteed 4 year scholarship before.  But, with NIL....nope.  Times are changing.

And I get that but bc of NIL it is going to drive high school players to be ready by their junior seasons to decide on a college or at least start receiving scholarships which the higher up star players do. But my point is the kids that it takes longer to develop will certainly get left behind. Like look at the transfer portal for Nebraska there is talk that even some freshmen wr's or the kid from Cali might already leave bc the win now mentality and don't have time to develop rn. Transfer portals and NIL are a new game changer for program's trying to win now. 

10 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

And I get that but bc of NIL it is going to drive high school players to be ready by their junior seasons to decide on a college or at least start receiving scholarships which the higher up star players do. But my point is the kids that it takes longer to develop will certainly get left behind. Like look at the transfer portal for Nebraska there is talk that even some freshmen wr's or the kid from Cali might already leave bc the win now mentality and don't have time to develop rn. Transfer portals and NIL are a new game changer for program's trying to win now. 

To clarify when I say kids being left behind I don't mean that they won't be able to get scholarships to go to college I mean by having the expectations of bringing a freshman on to the team to be ready to play and if your not good luck bc teams will do whatever they have to make their roster better and to win now not later.

NIL will place a lot of pressure on the kids coming out of HS to be well developed before they arrive on campus unless they are prepared to settle for a lessor school or JUCO for that development.  NIL has really changed the landscape in recruitment - takes the pressure off of trying to find the next great one right out of HS if you can find a great one via transfer.  Essentially, we've formed a farm system or minor league system that the bigger, wealthier P5 teams can draw from.  Of course they draw from each other as well.  But all of those HS kids have to go someplace and wt NIL more will end up at less desirable programs unless they are a stud.  

• Fire 1
19 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

NIL will place a lot of pressure on the kids coming out of HS to be well developed before they arrive on campus unless they are prepared to settle for a lessor school or JUCO for that development.  NIL has really changed the landscape in recruitment - takes the pressure off of trying to find the next great one right out of HS if you can find a great one via transfer.  Essentially, we've formed a farm system or minor league system that the bigger, wealthier P5 teams can draw from.  Of course they draw from each other as well.  But all of those HS kids have to go someplace and wt NIL more will end up at less desirable programs unless they are a stud.  

I couldn't agree with you more. College football is a business and it's only going to grow. Look at what the SEC is thinking about doing they might have their own playoffs and segregate the rest of the Conferences. That's another topic for another time.

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I couldn't agree with you more. College football is a business and it's only going to grow. Look at what the SEC is thinking about doing they might have their own playoffs and segregate the rest of the Conferences. That's another topic for another time.

Before long they'll make going to classes optional