NBA 2023-24

17 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Is it amazing or totally telling about the entire league's thoughts on the idea of trading for superstars Kyrie Irving and Damien Lillard.  

The Mavs and Portland did not make the playoffs.  Under rules, teams that do not make the playoffs can start making trades on APRIL 10th.  

Kyrie Irving... No takers?  Anyone?  

Mavs resign him on July 1st.  

Dallas front office "He was our priority"

Kyrie Irving "Dallas was #1 ON MY LIST"

Ok guys, yeah right.  I'm not buying it.  He totally was shopped around the league, and got the media talking about him to LA and other places.  But nobody wanted to pay him and give up good talent in return.  So Dallas and Kyrie had to get back together.

The deal is for 3 years, with incentive for games played, and 3rd year is player option.  The Mavs had early bird rights and could have signed him for 5 years $272 million...... If he was worth the extra years and the money, don't you think they would have locked him up?  Exactly.  The Mark Cuban plan failed.  Quickly wipe the egg off their faces and make a short-term deal.  

As for Damien Lillard....  another example for overpriced PG shooters in their early 30's.  He was available for a trade April 10 and finally got traded  September 26th/27th.  Nearly October.  Not exactly a ringing endorsement from all teams around the league.  Nobody wanted to pay, plus give up good talent in return, until Milwaukee finally made a deal.  And Portland shopped Lillard all summer.

Amazing?  Or are teams saying "nice player, just not worth it and we don't want to give up some starters as well... or extra draft picks"

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

I feel for you @admo. I think the league is just generally tired of Kyrie and the drama that goes along with him. Nice spin by him and the Mavs though, had to be said. As for Dame, I'm still shocked that he didn't go to the Heat; at least he's out of the West, dude has been brutal to the Nuggets many times over the years. 

Thank you, it's been a WTF with a Love/Hate relationship with the Mavs ownership & GM group all my life.  

I love your Nuggets team and coach.  The championship run through the playoffs was the most exciting, most fun I have ever enjoyed watching a team.  With the exception to the Mavs 2010 championship run, and a few mid 80's Celtics/Lakers runs.  Pistons too.  

I hope the Nuggets keep it going and repeat.  Which will always be difficult to do, but winning back-to-back has happened more often than not.  Outside of the Mavs, my new 2nd favorite team to root for is Denver.  And I also really enjoy watching Sacramento.  In the East, in no order - I like Milwaukee, Indiana, NY Knicks, and hope someday Detroit can rebound and become a strong playoff team again.  I've always liked the 76ers, and the Celtics, but both of those teams get waaay to much love and attention for their "superstars" that cannot seam to be superstars when you need it the most.  My excitement for the 76ers and Celts has been dropping considerably, for the past 3 seasons.  It's like the league and the ESPN/FOX/TNT/TBS gang wants to force people into liking their superstars.  And I just don't.  I used to like Phoenix, but a few guys on that team turn me off and my TV channel off.   LOL  it is what it is or has become.  That's not my fault tho! 

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There's a pretty huge difference between how Lillard and Kyrie are perceived around the league.

Lillard is uniformly liked, admired and respected by fans and players around the League.

Kyrie................not so much. 

Agreed.

Just to add another reason, the Dallas Mavericks played 2 games in Abu Dhabi, and one game in Madrid Spain.  

3 games to showcase your superstars with respect to other countries, and Kyrie Irving was in street clothes for 2 of them. What's to like about that, I don't know. 

Irving played 14 minutes in first game, never looked hurt, injured or in pain.  He (along with coach Jason Kidd's enabling understanding) sat out for groin soreness.  

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

There's a pretty huge difference between how Lillard and Kyrie are perceived around the league.

Lillard is uniformly liked, admired and respected by fans and players around the League.

Kyrie................not so much. 

Kyrie has said and done some stupid things.

Lillard.........not so much

6 hours ago, Madcows said:

Kyrie has said and done some stupid things.

Lillard.........not so much

All things considered, Damian was incredibly loyal to Portland and the fans. His exit was classier than most.

I don't think anyone denies Kyrie's basketball talent -- or even claim he's over-rated. But there's a generic talent called "reading the room" and he doesn't seem to have any of that. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to NBA 2023-24

I am very excited to be attending the Nuggets home opener tomorrow for the banner ceremony. The team has a ton of events planned throughout the day, so my son and I are both taking a day off from work/school to attend everything, including the live recording of a podcast that he really likes, Through the Wire. He met those guys at summer league in Vegas last year, so it should be fun.

Really hoping that the Nuggets follow it up with an opening win against those damn Lakers!

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 10/23/2023 at 10:37 AM, AZRaiderH8r said:

I am very excited to be attending the Nuggets home opener tomorrow for the banner ceremony. The team has a ton of events planned throughout the day, so my son and I are both taking a day off from work/school to attend everything, including the live recording of a podcast that he really likes, Through the Wire. He met those guys at summer league in Vegas last year, so it should be fun.

Really hoping that the Nuggets follow it up with an opening win against those damn Lakers!

Great game to be at, very much like the WCF, close game, but never in doubt.

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, Madcows said:

Great game to be at, very much like the WCF, close game, but never in doubt.

It was an epic night for sure. I've been a Nuggets fan my whole life, and I never thought we'd have the chance to experience a banner raising. The fact that it came along with a win over the Lakers was just icing on the cake. I have to admit, I enjoyed the "Who's your daddy" chant more than I probably should have, but having the chance to experience that environment with my son was just awesome. 

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2