NBA 2023-24

5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

You got a link? Because that doesn't sound like a downplay at all - it sounds like an accurate assessment. Their game is lethal in its methodical execution and nature, and is absolutely lacking in the high-flying/rim rattling spectacle of how we've been accustomed to seeing greatness manifest.

I think Jokic is getting credit for his methodical and lethal execution, punctuated by Steph Curry worthy deep three daggers that actually do wow the crowd. Wilbon is being a little harsh, but he was given Shaq/Kobe as the comparison. 

But I have no problem putting Jamal Murray among the flashiest high flying crunch-time scorers in the league. He was already there in the bubble year, going toe to toe with Donovan Mitchell in some epic playoff games. Murray lost a couple prime years with injury, but he's right back to the superstar level where he belongs.

I'm even willing to call the Nuggets a three superstar team:  Jokic, Murray, and Aaron Gordon with the serious rim-rattling highlights. 

If you substitute some flashiness to minimize turnovers, that's fine with me. But I find the Nuggets hugely entertaining. Miami, too, although the better team has clearly emerged. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

@Guy Chamberlin well said.  

I would also add that both of these teams are playing extremely good basketball collectively as teams.  It is enjoyable to see both teams playing some really good ball on the hardwood floor. Battling it out every quarter, with each game feeling like the game is not over until it is over.  

Through four games of competition, Miami just cannot seem to make up any ground on the Nuggets. And believe you me, they sure as heck are trying to win this championship.  

Credit to the entire Denver team & coaching staff.  But also, credit to the entire Miami team and coaching staff for their efforts too.  

I do not think there will ever be another amazing run like Golden State has done.  6 NBA Finals in 8 years. :blink: Unbelievably unbelievable.  

Especially with contracts these days, re-signing players, trading players, losing players, adding players, blowing up a championship team or firing a head coach after a few seasons.

Which is why I like this unknown Miami team, but really respect this Nuggets team.  

At the end of the day, you never know if either team will be back again soon with the same magical seasons occurring (see above about contracts and players going elsewhere).

Been a great Series so far and I think it still may go 7.  Slightly leaning close out Monday - but that's why they compete and play for the Championship.... Plus everyone else involved in the fun - - - -  TV / NBA / Commercials / Sponsors / YouTube / NBA Officials

The longer the series goes, the more money made by NBA officials and everybody else I just mentioned.  The only way to change that script as a team being up 3-1....  is to make buckets and overcome the other stuff.  :)

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think Jokic is getting credit for his methodical and lethal execution, punctuated by Steph Curry worthy deep three daggers that actually do wow the crowd. Wilbon is being a little harsh, but he was given Shaq/Kobe as the comparison. 

But I have no problem putting Jamal Murray among the flashiest high flying crunch-time scorers in the league. He was already there in the bubble year, going toe to toe with Donovan Mitchell in some epic playoff games. Murray lost a couple prime years with injury, but he's right back to the superstar level where he belongs.

I'm even willing to call the Nuggets a three superstar team:  Jokic, Murray, and Aaron Gordon with the serious rim-rattling highlights. 

If you substitute some flashiness to minimize turnovers, that's fine with me. But I find the Nuggets hugely entertaining. Miami, too, although the better team has clearly emerged. 

Smart basketball fans are incredibly entertained by the Nuggets, in similar ways to prime vintage Pop led Spurs teams; any real or projected criticisms from talking heads be damned. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

Saw this last night.  Reaction from GS Draymond Green (podcast) after game 4 between Nuggets and Heat.

I know he get bad rap on the court at times and does some WWE showmanship when he gets ejected and all....   But like I said before, he does a good podcast.  And is a tremendous player.

I wasn't going to link it, but decided to it.   Draymond coming at you as a current NBA Champion player and reacts to Denver/Miami game 4.  He has played against these players and these coaches.  He has insight and is speaking his mind. 

If you got 20 minutes and a bucket of fried chicken, or some chips and salsa..... give it a casual listen.  Nothing to gain or lose from it.  But still a good podcast reaction nevertheless.  

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

If anyone knows how to find it easily I'd love to see how Jokic's field goal percentage ranks all-time in Finals and Playoff history.

This is career based, he's around 20th.  Numbers 1 & 2 really surprised me.   But then I remember the stat of who has the best FG% for the Lakers in their history and I was like...oh well that's dumb (it's JaVale McGee at 1 and Dwight Howard at 2 cause all they did was dunks and layups).  

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask/highest-field-goal-percentage-in-playoff-history-minimum-10-field-goals-attempts-per-game

Here is single season record.  Jokic doesn't make the top 250 all time, this stat doesn't have a minimum per game requirement.  Has a minimum for playoff year.  Had to have at least 20 FGs during the playoffs.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg_pct_season_p.html

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Denver's core players are in their prime and signed for another two years. Not only do they get to celebrate, they probably have the fewest question marks in the league.

Mini-dynasty ready to go.  If that core stays healthy (mostly Jokic and Jamal) they are primed to be threats for at least the next 2 years.

• Plus1 2
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to NBA 2023-24