NBA 2023-24

On 7/1/2023 at 10:58 AM, Mavric said:

Really curious on how this plays out.  I don't think a lot of teams believe a 33 yr old Dame is the centerpiece of a championship roster.  The one team he seems to want to play for has a smart front office that will make the sound basketball decision.  I feel like he'll end up in Philly, when the Sixers finally decide to trade Maxey...because that's the kind of stuff that FO does.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Jaylen Brown. 5 years, $304 million. 

I mean, take as much money as the man will give you, and feel no sorrow for the billionaire owners.

But....this just isn't sustainable. It will be hard to have a good team of core players you can root for for more than a couple years. I don't think it works out for the fans. 

Jason Tatum, the better player, will be asking for his own contract extension next season. You will have to assemble a supporting cast of spare parts playing for minimum one year salaries.

On 7/26/2023 at 12:24 PM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Jaylen Brown. 5 years, $304 million. 

I mean, take as much money as the man will give you, and feel no sorrow for the billionaire owners.

But....this just isn't sustainable. It will be hard to have a good team of core players you can root for for more than a couple years. I don't think it works out for the fans. 

Jason Tatum, the better player, will be asking for his own contract extension next season. You will have to assemble a supporting cast of spare parts playing for minimum one year salaries.

I am with you...take every penny you can when you can.

Basically you will be creating teams with two stars and 1-2 rookies and then 1-2 second contract but not "stars"...

• TBH 1
15 hours ago, teachercd said:

I am with you...take every penny you can when you can.

Basically you will be creating teams with two stars and 1-2 rookies and then 1-2 second contract but not "stars"...

Players union will eventually get restless I think.  Sure the stars are getting more money, but most of the NBA are average-good veterans, who are now competing with rookies on vet-min deals

22 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Players union will eventually get restless I think.  Sure the stars are getting more money, but most of the NBA are average-good veterans, who are now competing with rookies on vet-min deals

Yeah, the pie for the legitimate veteran role players gets smaller when even non-superstars are nabbing what would have been superstar contracts just a couple years ago. Max Strus just got $63 million. Jakob Poeltl, $80 million. Kyle Kuzma $102 million. Cam Johnson $108 million. Jerami Grant $160 million. Desmond Bane $207 million (he made $3.8 million last year) 

So there's a free market for player salaries, but a hard cap for total team expenditures. Interesting to bring the players union into it: they aren't about to argue against owners coughing up huge paydays, but it does put the squeeze on the rank and file. The salary cap is designed to protect small market teams, but if Sacramento or Oklahoma City has a breakthrough season with their young talent, they probably won't be able to afford them anymore. 

The rumor from here in Warrior land is that while Jordan Poole did indeed have a breakthrough season last year and was a key cog in winning a Championship, he became reckless and insufferable after landing his $160 million contract, an opinion shared by several players who didn't punch him in the face. 

On 7/29/2023 at 10:52 AM, Guy Chamberlin said:

Yeah, the pie for the legitimate veteran role players gets smaller when even non-superstars are nabbing what would have been superstar contracts just a couple years ago. Max Strus just got $63 million. Jakob Poeltl, $80 million. Kyle Kuzma $102 million. Cam Johnson $108 million. Jerami Grant $160 million. Desmond Bane $207 million (he made $3.8 million last year) 

So there's a free market for player salaries, but a hard cap for total team expenditures. Interesting to bring the players union into it: they aren't about to argue against owners coughing up huge paydays, but it does put the squeeze on the rank and file. The salary cap is designed to protect small market teams, but if Sacramento or Oklahoma City has a breakthrough season with their young talent, they probably won't be able to afford them anymore. 

The rumor from here in Warrior land is that while Jordan Poole did indeed have a breakthrough season last year and was a key cog in winning a Championship, he became reckless and insufferable after landing his $160 million contract, an opinion shared by several players who didn't punch him in the face. 

I expect Golden State to be factor again this season.  Chris Paul's act seems to wear thin after awhile, but he always seems to give his new team an initial jolt in the first season.  I realize we're talking about a 38 year old CP3 at this point, so maybe not quite the impact he's had historically.  Poole being gone I think is addition by subtraction.  His ego, and the contract that was fueling it, was ruffling feathers.  I think it will be a combination of teamwide health and whether Wiggins can displace Klay as the 2nd best scorer on the team that will determine how far they go.  I'll add another caveat....Klay needs to settle in as a third option and play within himself.

12 hours ago, Jason Sitoke said:

I expect Golden State to be factor again this season.  Chris Paul's act seems to wear thin after awhile, but he always seems to give his new team an initial jolt in the first season.  I realize we're talking about a 38 year old CP3 at this point, so maybe not quite the impact he's had historically.  Poole being gone I think is addition by subtraction.  His ego, and the contract that was fueling it, was ruffling feathers.  I think it will be a combination of teamwide health and whether Wiggins can displace Klay as the 2nd best scorer on the team that will determine how far they go.  I'll add another caveat....Klay needs to settle in as a third option and play within himself.

Every Warriors fan I know actively dislikes Chris Paul. This was a tough trade for us. Klay, of course, is beloved, but I think a lot of Warriors fans agree with you: Wiggins is the key, maybe the most reliable player on the roster. 

13 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Every Warriors fan I know actively dislikes Chris Paul. This was a tough trade for us. Klay, of course, is beloved, but I think a lot of Warriors fans agree with you: Wiggins is the key, maybe the most reliable player on the roster. 

Klay was always my favorite warrior. Steph is other worldly, but prime Klay was a 2-way star with a picture perfect stroke. Plus he hates devin Booker and the suns with a passion. Which I respect 

• 1 month later...

I have to vent to let it out, for my own sanity, before the new NBA season begins.

This is just another reason why the Dallas Mavericks suck as an Organization.  Decision making.....  and 2 people + 1.

th?id=OIF.zomDewtS7u7OMZbkMnF%2bxg&pid=ImgDet&rs=1

Cuban traded a few key players that got new contracts, for Kyrie Irving.  Of course Kyrie was happy to get out of Brooklyn.  He played well for himself with the Mavs.  But, the overall product sucked.  The Mavericks went from a 5th place team solidified for the playoff picture, to not even making the playoffs.  

Mark Cuban thought he could bring in Kyrie, profit on his new Dallas Mavericks Jersey merch, and after the playoffs - do a deal to trade Kyrie for a few players.  He thought everyone would want Kyrie.  Funny how that didn't happen, Mark.  In fact, after putting out feelers to every team, no one - nobody wanted Kyrie.  That was a big Mark Cuban failure.  

Jason Kidd doesn't know how to manage and rotate his team.  Under Rick Carlysle, the former coach would have Dirk (his star) go 8 minutes in the first quarter, sit and rest until the 8 minute mark of the 2nd quarter.  He did the same in the 3rd quarter, but would have Dirk come in and play the final 10 minutes of the 4th quarter.  You want him out there.  And you give him 34 minutes on the floor.  It was clockwork.  

Dirk:  8 min Q1, 8 min Q2, 8 min Q3, 10 min Q4

J Kidd has no clue.  He leaves Luka on the floor the entire 12 minutes of the 1st quarter!  He sits him down until there are 6 minutes left before halftime.   That is freaking crazy, but he does it every game.  He then has Luka play the first 10 minutes of the 3rd quarter.  Sits him down and brings him back with 6-7 minutes left in the game.  He does it every time since the Mavs traded for "Kai" as Kidd cutely calls him.  That's Kyrie Irving for the rest of us.  

Luka:  12 min Q1, 6 min Q2, 10 min Q3, 6 min Q4

Wouldn't a real coach want Luka playing more in the 4th quarter and end of the half when teams are trying to lead at the break?   Jason Kidd's rotation has no explanation and it is a big reason why the Mavericks really started to lose late in the year.  

Remind me again, who is the star of the Dallas Mavericks?  It's not Kyrie Irving (who plays all 12 minutes of the 4th quarter).  It's Luka.  It's not the guy the owner traded for with hopes he could outsmart everyone and make a sign-and-trade deal in the offseason (that completely Failed - not even one team wanted Cuban's Kyrie Irving).

By the way... Luka has been asked for years "What does the Mavericks need to get to Championship?" and Luka (like Dirk) says "A rim protector that can block shots, rebound, score when needed".   

What does Mark Cuban do?  Sign more guards that shoot the ball.  And now there are rumors that the Mavs might sign another guard - Jrue Holiday.  

Every decision by Mark Cuban makes are always wrong.  And J Kidd was a great player, but he is an awful NBA head coach and the Milwaukee Bucks and Dallas Maverick (fans) can see it.  

Furious mark cuban angry GIF on GIFER - by Akirn

• Fire 1
  • suh_fan93 changed the title to NBA 2023-24