Husker Volleyball in Memorial Stadium

The atmosphere in the stadium was great.  First time I've been to a volleyball match live, so that was pretty cool.

If they do this again, they need to work on the transportation to/from the satellite lots.  It took over an hour in line to get a bus to the stadium and over an hour in line to get back.  I also didn't see any traffic cops directing traffic around the drop off/pickup location near the Lied Center.  After the match there seemed to be only two guys trying to organize the buses/lines.  They worked their tails off, but with only two of them it was semi-organized chaos.

20 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

The atmosphere in the stadium was great.  First time I've been to a volleyball match live, so that was pretty cool.

If they do this again, they need to work on the transportation to/from the satellite lots.  It took over an hour in line to get a bus to the stadium and over an hour in line to get back.  I also didn't see any traffic cops directing traffic around the drop off/pickup location near the Lied Center.  After the match there seemed to be only two guys trying to organize the buses/lines.  They worked their tails off, but with only two of them it was semi-organized chaos.

Thought the shuttle system was incredible and very efficient. Honestly, we use it all of the time for football games and last night was 1000x better in terms of professionalism, quality of busses and customer service. If you don't attend many football games I think it would be hard to see how impossible it is to get 90K people packed into and out of the same city block for a 3 hour event. Honestly, I would advise the university to copy this blueprint for all large events at Memorial. The no cost shuttle appeared to encourage a significant number of people to opt in utilizing it which significantly cut down on the horrible traffic/pedestrian flow into and out of the area. Obviously, those costs would need to be recouped somewhere else but the reason there were lines to get to the shuttle is because so many people were happy to use them. Again, if you've ever gotten out of a packed house nailbiter football game after the 4th quarter in under and hour I'd be surprised.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, nickp said:

Broke the record of 90,185 at the 1999 FIFA Women's World Cup Final With the right backing a Pro Women’s volleyball league would incredibly popular in America

Honestly, you have to consider if you could get the right people backing a number of women's sport could they be much more popular?  We've seen Serena Williams attract a lot of attention to tennis. We've seen Shari Richardson draw the eye to women's track.  We KNOW volleyball can be profitable. I'd bet women's basketball would have a place too as people do not love the 2 step dunkathon that the NBA has become. Not to get on a soapbox, but women's sports are not lower quality, its just they haven't been allowed to shine because the people in charge are so in deep with the men's options. That said, people like to follow winners and quality competition, it doesn't  really matter what's between the legs. 

50 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Thought the shuttle system was incredible and very efficient. Honestly, we use it all of the time for football games and last night was 1000x better in terms of professionalism, quality of busses and customer service. If you don't attend many football games I think it would be hard to see how impossible it is to get 90K people packed into and out of the same city block for a 3 hour event. Honestly, I would advise the university to copy this blueprint for all large events at Memorial. The no cost shuttle appeared to encourage a significant number of people to opt in utilizing it which significantly cut down on the horrible traffic/pedestrian flow into and out of the area. Obviously, those costs would need to be recouped somewhere else but the reason there were lines to get to the shuttle is because so many people were happy to use them. Again, if you've ever gotten out of a packed house nailbiter football game after the 4th quarter in under and hour I'd be surprised.

At least for football games they use traffic cops to control foot/vehicle traffic which would have helped a lot.    There were multiple times we could see the busses, but they couldn't get through traffic at 16th & R.

I agree that the busses were nice and the drivers were friendly.  Like I said, they two guys they had trying to organize were working their tails off.  They just needed some more people and a little more help from the athletic department to let people know which line to be in to get back to the correct place.  It would have been pretty easy to put of some kind of line system with them labeled so everyone knew what line to get into.

I stuck around to watch a little of Scotty McCreery in hopes that the people with kids would clear.  It did as far as getting out of the stadium but was no help on the shuttle service.

I never go to football games, so I don't know what the post-game shuttle traffic is like.  Not a big football fan (in a general sense).  The last time I was in Memorial Stadium before last night, Frank Solich was the coach.

42 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

In other news, Iowa has only sold 40,000 tickets to their women's BB game at Kinnick.  Plus,, it only holds 69,000.

Pretty sure they aren't going to break our record.

https://www.kwqc.com/2023/08/29/nearly-40000-tickets-have-been-sold-iowa-womens-basketball-game-kinnick-stadium/

Could be beautiful in mid-October or it could be snowing.  I'd pay to see them play with snow on the court.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1